• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholics what is your opinion?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You don't need to attack me

That doesn't sound to me like a good sample size

English uses some words to represent a generalization without knowing the actual data. For example, the words many,some,over a thousand, and so forth isn't meant for specific data (unless cited). A lot of times it's not about the numbers but saying it's a lot and sometimes people use large numbers to refer to A Lot without needing cited sources for grammar.

Where are you getting your data from? How are you concluding this?

I didn't cite anything; so, there is no reason to ask for sources when the intent was to how there "is a lot". See above.

And then, who's to say that celibacy wasn't part of the cause for those that did assault children? You're asumming celibacy affects all the same way.

Give me a logical connection between celibacy and child abuse that's not specific to priests.

You're making lots of assumptions to come to a conclusion.

Info without citations are usually opinions not in stone. Hence why we discuss.

Let me remind you that I have not asserted a position.

You already have. Nothing wrong with that.

But I was responding to the OP. So, you're making a argument that has no foundation.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I have an great and terrible idea but I don't feel like receiving a full barrage of flak for it so I will let you all wonder what it was.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You never been a apart of Catholic organizations that save people's lives??

I currently work for a hospital that is Catholic by name but business by practice.

Can you give me an example of Catholics not doing anything that god wants the to do?

I never said Catholics didn't do anything, I'm saying relying on prayer didn't save those kids from sexual abuse. I'd like to see the Pope take a more proactive approach and hold these parishes accountable for protecting these abusive priests. Doesn't matter how much charity is done in Catholicism, protecting abusers and not holding them accountables trumps whatever good deeds the church has done.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I currently work for a hospital that is Catholic by name but business by practice.

I never said Catholics didn't do anything, I'm saying relying on prayer didn't save those kids from sexual abuse. I'd like to see the Pope take a more proactive approach and hold these parishes accountable for protecting these abusive priests. Doesn't matter how much charity is done in Catholicism, protecting abusers and not holding them accountables trumps whatever good deeds the church has done.

Who is protecting, though?

When you talk about The Church, you talk about the people who make it up. So, are Catholics covering up child abuse?

They would be going against their own teachings.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
First, we need to cleanse the leadership without question in every instance where someone knew. The Church needs to welcome and work with police and have a proactive constantly running investigative branch that involves both laypersons and the magesterium.

The Church doesn't have an especially bad issue with sexually deviant priests, the percentages are similar across faith organizations, schools, scouts, and pretty much every circumstance where people are put into places of authority over children.

The Church has an indescribably horrid issue within the hierarchy. With leaders who valued the public face of the Church and their prospects for advancement above shepherding of their flock, protecting children and the vulnerable and removing dangers to them.

They should have gotten rid of Celibacy before now, it never worked.
Celibacy isn't the issue, normal men who are unable to remain celibate find secretive ways to be with adult women; they do not assault children. We have only ever observed changes in sexual desire when you are physically incapable of reaching potential mates, such as sexually segregated prison populations.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I feel like a lot of people are choosing their faith over the kids. I wonder how many of the parents of the kids that were abused were thrown into the middle of an existential crisis because of it.

Or rather are they choosing the organization over the kids? Or did they just go to a different church? I don't know how I would react since I';m not a believer but I would think I would question my own faith after something like that.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Merely installing new people in the positions of power will solve nothing. You need to change the way people think or behave within the church.

Like people complaining about politicians, I don't think it's them necessarily. It's the system they operate with in that promotes the poor behavior. Example Bribery is illegal literally everywhere else BUT capitol hill. Replacing politicians doesn't fix lobbying. It never will, you need to pass laws making that practice null and void in order to fix it.

So with the church, if a pedo is caught the practice of just moving him around to other parishes and handling it 'in house' needs to stop. Turning them over to secular law might make some headway. I wonder if those pedo priests feel like they are insulated from the consequences of their actions by the church and thus making them feel even more inclined to commit pedophilia.

If the insulation were removed? Hmmm, you think the cases of abuse would drop due to the church harshly punishing the priests or "extraditing" them to secular authority would make an impact?

InChrist

Free4ever
Considering praying didn't keep these kids from being sexually abused, and based on the reactions of the people in following video, what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

Although, I was raised Catholic I haven't been one for many years now. The problem of child abuse is rampant in the Catholic church, but it is also a big problem in many other churches, schools, or any organization where children are. One important answer is for organizations to become educated about the issue so that they are not ignorant to the tactics of predator pedophiles who come into their midst. Also, if the abuse occurs it is very important to get outside help. There are resources available now and people who understand this issue well who provide tools and education for those who want to protect children under their care.

SPEAKING

JimmyHinton.org

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Although, I was raised Catholic I haven't been one for many years now. The problem of child abuse is rampant in the Catholic church, but it is also a big problem in many other churches, schools, or any organization where children are. One important answer is for organizations to become educated about the issue so that they are not ignorant to the tactics of predator pedophiles who come into their midst. Also, if the abuse occurs it is very important to get outside help, There are resources available now and people who understand this issue well who provide tools and education for those who want to protect children under their care.

SPEAKING

JimmyHinton.org

Good post.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Those in power are covering it up. As the man in the video said, the pope can change how the church conducts itself on sexual abuse allegations with the stroke of a pen.

Dont know about the stroke of the pen. Thats silly to assume things can happen so fast especially whent the public rather blame than help. It cant be done alone.

Coverups isnt as worse as the child abuse itself. Its being addresed (actually, already started by screening all priests with criminal backgrounds before stepping foot in his ministry training)

Put aside the cover up mess* and focus on the solution

Ellen Brown

All my children are gone and have children of their own and I've learned that what ever wrong people can do, they will. There is no need at this time for me to trust anyone but God. One of the issues is letting someone in authority have power over you. Hebrews 7 talks about The Priesthood of the Believer, so none of us need to take advice from a Pastor, Bishop, Stake President, Priest. We should rightfully run our own lives. And NO earthly human can take the place of God or Jesus Christ.

I've heard the sermon a few times about those in authority over you. That assumes that they are trustworthy. Humbug!!!

I was sitting in a Bishop's office and he started making very suggestive statements about my sexual orientation. Thank God, I knew by that time I was on my way out of that church anyhow. Sexual misconduct can actually happen in any church. Why the Catholics accumulated so many, I do not know.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Considering praying didn't keep these kids from being sexually abused, and based on the reactions of the people in following video, what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

Similar to what members of any old, hierarchical, deeply entrenched organisation can do. Report abuses and demand transparency. Repeat as necessary. Yes, these things have a lot of inertia, and take time to fix, and some people would rather pretend the problem didn't exist. But that's not unique to the Catholic Church.

suncowiam

You don't need to attack me

English uses some words to represent a generalization without knowing the actual data. For example, the words many,some,over a thousand, and so forth isn't meant for specific data (unless cited). A lot of times it's not about the numbers but saying it's a lot and sometimes people use large numbers to refer to A Lot without needing cited sources for grammar.

I didn't cite anything; so, there is no reason to ask for sources when the intent was to how there "is a lot". See above.

Give me a logical connection between celibacy and child abuse that's not specific to priests.

Info without citations are usually opinions not in stone. Hence why we discuss.

You already have. Nothing wrong with that.

But I was responding to the OP. So, you're making a argument that has no foundation.

Well then, your opinion means little without facts.

100 means 100. It could mean a lot in relative to less or it could mean a little in relative to more. There's no generalizations there. Just poor form of logic.

And what is my position since you claim I have one? You can quote me.

Jumi

Those in power are covering it up. As the man in the video said, the pope can change how the church conducts itself on sexual abuse allegations with the stroke of a pen.
My solution is not to cover them up until the mountain of misdeeds explodes in their face. Kick out any priest, cardinal, bishop that's done this and hand them over to the authorities. So far all they've done is say they'll do better. Yet it continues. This isn't new I remember hearing about it in 90s. It's a problem with other religions as well. RC way of handling it maximizes the damage though.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My solution is not to cover them up until the mountain of misdeeds explodes in their face. Kick out any priest, cardinal, bishop that's done this and hand them over to the authorities. So far all they've done is say they'll do better. Yet it continues. This isn't new I remember hearing about it in 90s. It's a problem with other religions as well. RC way of handling it maximizes the damage though.
I totally agree with Jumi

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Do not forget to kick out any Pope that's done this. He is the one in charge, so the one responsible IMO.

Don't tell me he did not know. He is a man of God. You believe God didn't tell him? He didn't know this?