• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholics what is your opinion?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Considering praying didn't keep these kids from being sexually abused, and based on the reactions of the people in following video, what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Straight talk about body parts and a no-secrets policy can protect young kids without scaring them

We teach our young children all sorts of ways to keep themselves safe. We teach them to watch the hot stove, we teach them to look both ways before they cross the street. But, more often than not, body safety is not taught until much older — until sometimes, it is too late. Research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that approximately 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18. You want to hear something even scarier? According to the US Department of Justice (nsopw.org) only 10% of perpetrators were strangers to the child and 23% of the perpetrators were children themselves!
https://childmind.org/article/10-ways-to-teach-your-child-the-skills-to-prevent-sexual-abuse/

I'm not Catholic, but I think parents have to take responsibility.

Yes, I know the evil Catholic Church but where were the parents in all of this? Weren't these children betrayed not only by the Church but also their parents?

Making sex a taboo subject means we leave our children open to being victimized. Boy Scouts, school coaches, anywhere children are given into the care of other adults.

I think it is up to the parents to educate their children and have an open dialog with their kids without making the children feel uncomfortable about it.

Ellen Brown

Celibacy is not the issue.

What is your take on it? Perhaps most Patriarchal management structures have an issue with the abuse of women? Of course, it seems at least some of the Catholics were little boys. Were they abused by Priests or Nuns? I knew a man that had been beaten so much by Nuns that he would not go near one. ???

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How do you know celibacy is not part of the issue?

Not saying it is but how can you prove that it isn't?

because there are hundreds of people who are celibate and hundreds of people who dont have attraction to children as a result of their celebacy. Thats one of the most silly reason to accuse priests motives of child molestation.

Being a priest in a religious environment is just the same as if I were celibate. We dont just change our attractions just because we choose not to have sex. Thats rediculous.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Considering praying didn't keep these kids from being sexually abused, and based on the reactions of the people in following video, what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

I'd prefer if Catholics rebelled, unseated them all, and stopped paying them any mind. That church has a child abuse addiction, and it has to stop.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Dont think Catholics would answer. Sounds negative already.

Prayer asks for gods help and it is god not the prayer or type nor the influence of the prayer that prompts god to act on the childs behalf. Prayer is about gods-actions. The person praying has no influence over it.

Usualy, prayer is not isolated. Not many Catholics (or any person of any faith for that matter) go to a corner and just pray as if thatalone will help problems. I think the only denomi that does that is, I think christian science.

They cant solve the worlds problems; but many do a lot of things to help children A LOT. The question is irrelevant because many Catholics dont pray because they can do something but they pray so god can do something.

If you want to blame someone, its logical to blame god in your OP. Catholics praying has nothing to do with it.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What is your take on it? Perhaps most Patriarchal management structures have an issue with the abuse of women? Of course, it seems at least some of the Catholics were little boys. Were they abused by Priests or Nuns? I knew a man that had been beaten so much by Nuns that he would not go near one. ???

I'm not Catholic, but there are plenty of celibate men in the world that do not touch kids. I think there is more of a deeper issue than simply not having intercourse.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'm not Catholic, but there are plenty of celibate men in the world that do not touch kids. I think there is more of a deeper issue than simply not having intercourse.

There is no man nor woman in their right mind that is celibate, end of discussion. What I don't include in the definition of celibate:

1) Against your will in any way... you are involuntarily celibate

2) Physically non-functional. The equipment doesn't work or you're just too old. Again, a situation of not having a choice.

Anyone else, whack-o... Something is wrong with them period, religious or not. The nature of humanity is to procreate, anything else is broken. What that something is can be complicated, but I think it far more complicated than a simple post can address. Unaddressed mental issues are probably the leading cause of celibacy. Of course, someone who acts like they're celibate by choice will refuse to admit this. :D

The entirety of the Catholic leadership = broken, they're either pedos or other creeps or enablers.

suncowiam

because there are hundreds of people who are celibate and hundreds of people who dont have attraction to children as a result of their celebacy. Thats one of the most silly reason to accuse priests motives of child molestation.

Being a priest in a religious environment is just the same as if I were celibate. We dont just change our attractions just because we choose not to have sex. Thats rediculous.

Hundreds?

That doesn't sound to me like a good sample size.

Where are you getting your data from? How are you concluding this?

And then, who's to say that celibacy wasn't part of the cause for those that did assault children? You're asumming celibacy affects all the same way.

You're making lots of assumptions to come to a conclusion.

Let me remind you that I have not asserted a position.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Dont think Catholics would answer. Sounds negative already.

Prayer asks for gods help and it is god not the prayer or type nor the influence of the prayer that prompts god to act on the childs behalf. Prayer is about gods-actions. The person praying has no influence over it.

Usualy, prayer is not isolated. Not many Catholics (or any person of any faith for that matter) go to a corner and just pray as if thatalone will help problems. I think the only denomi that does that is, I think christian science.

They cant solve the worlds problems; but many do a lot of things to help children A LOT. The question is irrelevant because many Catholics dont pray because they can do something but they pray so god can do something.

If you want to blame someone, its logical to blame god in your OP. Catholics praying has nothing to do with it.

Well I disagree. Like the man in the beginning actions speak louder than words. God made human beings with the mental capacity to act. God is not the parent of humanity we have parents that teach us. God will help us when we help ourselves.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Straight talk about body parts and a no-secrets policy can protect young kids without scaring them

We teach our young children all sorts of ways to keep themselves safe. We teach them to watch the hot stove, we teach them to look both ways before they cross the street. But, more often than not, body safety is not taught until much older — until sometimes, it is too late. Research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that approximately 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18. You want to hear something even scarier? According to the US Department of Justice (nsopw.org) only 10% of perpetrators were strangers to the child and 23% of the perpetrators were children themselves!
https://childmind.org/article/10-ways-to-teach-your-child-the-skills-to-prevent-sexual-abuse/

I'm not Catholic, but I think parents have to take responsibility.

Yes, I know the evil Catholic Church but where were the parents in all of this? Weren't these children betrayed not only by the Church but also their parents?

Making sex a taboo subject means we leave our children open to being victimized. Boy Scouts, school coaches, anywhere children are given into the care of other adults.

I think it is up to the parents to educate their children and have an open dialog with their kids without making the children feel uncomfortable about it.
Finally. Someone legitimately thinking of the children.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hundreds?

That doesn't sound to me like a good sample size.

Where are you getting your data from? How are you concluding this?

And then, who's to say that celibacy wasn't part of the cause for those that did assault children? You're asumming celibacy affects all the same way.

You're making lots of assumptions to come to a conclusion.

Let me remind you that I have not asserted a position.

Uh. :rolleyes: calm down. If you got my point, cool. I'll answer you later

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well I disagree. Like the man in the beginning actions speak louder than words. God made human beings with the mental capacity to act. God is not the parent of humanity we have parents that teach us. God will help us when we help ourselves.

Do you get the logic behind it? I don't believe in God so it's hard to speak as if he does or says something I'm not familiar with in scripture or from being around too many christians.

The fact is its a god-thing. Prayer is asking god to help. Many Catholics (who are human like you and I) do help people. attacking a handful of Catholics as if it represents the whole church is silly

But I'll get back...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

You never been a apart of Catholic organizations that save people's lives??

Can you give me an example of Catholics not doing anything that god wants the to do?