• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Q and A

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
How does your Catholic faith influence how you see the world?
My faith touches on everything, or at least I try to have it do so... from how I view war and politics to my everyday actions.

Do you see the world more as the thing that's been defiled by sin, or the thing that's so valuable it was worth Christ's sacrifice?
I don't know if I would say worth... but so loved by God that He did so, yes. I view the world as mostly Good, for God created it good. It was defiled, but not completely so.

What could you see yourself doing (or not doing) differently if you weren't Catholic... besides obvious stuff like "I wouldn't go to Mass"?
I would probably have no problem with birth control for one(first thing that popped into my head, largely because of the debates I've had here). I'd be less tolerant. I know I am considered extreme, but I would be militant too.

Those jump out at me, and if I thought about it and wrote everything down, I'm sure I could make a very long list.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
Any questions about the Catholic faith? I would like to answer ( Catholic bro's are welcome) ;)

What is the role of the Pope? Is he privy to understanding other Catholics are not? Or is he mostly symbolic? How do most Catholics perceive his opinions and judgments upon both Scripture and social issues? :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the role of the Pope?
He leads the Church on earth, he is there to guide the Church; to do his best to keep her doing God's will.

Is he privy to understanding other Catholics are not?
I'm not sure I understand this question.

Or is he mostly symbolic?
No, he actually decides stuff ;) Though he does take into consideration the studied opinions of the others whom he asks to investigate issues.

How do most Catholics perceive his opinions and judgments upon both Scripture and social issues?
I'd like to say most are pretty keen on his ideas.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Is God decidedly male acording Catholic view?

Was Jesus decidedly male according to the catholic view? and if he was not, could he have been incarnated in a woman?

kepha31

According to the the Pope, am I, as a Mormon, destined to spend eternity in Hell? According to the average Catholic, am I, as a Mormon, destined to spend eternity in Hell? According to the Catholics on RF, am I, as a Mormon, destined to spend eternity in Hell?

To all of your question.

Yes.

Though I can only speak for myself. The Church teaches no salvation outside the church
Sorry JacobEzra, but I have to disagree in the strongest terms. Jesus did not die just for Catholics. The Church teaches that all members of the human race are redeemed. Basically, redemption is collective, while salvation is individual. Christ redeemed humanity collectively from slavery to sin and from the debt of punishment that mankind, as a whole, owed due to sin. Every person, Christian or non-Christian, is redeemed because he is a member of the human race. Salvation is the application of redemption to individuals. A person can choose to reject the graces won for him by Christ even though he has been redeemed.

Remember that Jesus said from the cross, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Lk 23:34). What did his sacrifice on the cross have to do with those who mocked him, spit at him, and crucified him? In other words, what did it have to do with those for whom he was asking forgiveness from God the Father? The answer is: everything. For some, it was through ignorance that they crucified him, and invincible ignorance can diminish one’s culpability for evil done—even the crucifixion of our Savior. They still could be saved, or Jesus’ plea for their forgiveness to the Father would make no sense. Whoever enters heaven will do so only because of Christ and his sacrificial work on the cross. Some people may enter heaven having never heard of Christ, but it will be because of him that they enter.

One of the most misunderstood teachings of the Catholic Church is this one:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation" (Extra ecclesiam nulla salus).

Those trying to grasp the meaning of this teaching often struggle with its formulations by various Church Fathers and Church Councils down through history. Of course, to understand an isolated formulation of any Church teaching, one must study the historical context within which it was written: why it was written, what was going on in the Church at the time, who the intended audience was, and so on. One must discover how the magisterium (teaching office) of the Church understands its own teaching. If someone fails to do this and chooses, rather, to simply treat a particular formulation as a stand-alone teaching, he runs the risk of seriously misunderstanding it.

more at What "No Salvation Outside the Church" Means (This Rock: May-June 2010)
No Salvation Outside the Church (This Rock: December 2005)

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
No, I'd wager no, and no.

The Catholic Church teaches that God's mercy can extend to those who in ignorance of His truth reject His Church and even Him and His teachings. The Catechism elaborates on the "No Salvation outside the Church" teaching:

846: ...Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body

and specifically about those who are ignorant:

847: This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848: "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."
You left out the second part of 846

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

Katzpur knowing this would then be damned, would s/he, if s/he did not come to Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Sorry JacobEzra, but I have to disagree in the strongest terms. Jesus did not die just for Catholics. The Church teaches that all members of the human race are redeemed. Basically, redemption is collective, while salvation is individual. Christ redeemed humanity collectively from slavery to sin and from the debt of punishment that mankind, as a whole, owed due to sin. Every person, Christian or non-Christian, is redeemed because he is a member of the human race. Salvation is the application of redemption to individuals. A person can choose to reject the graces won for him by Christ even though he has been redeemed.

Remember that Jesus said from the cross, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Lk 23:34). What did his sacrifice on the cross have to do with those who mocked him, spit at him, and crucified him? In other words, what did it have to do with those for whom he was asking forgiveness from God the Father? The answer is: everything. For some, it was through ignorance that they crucified him, and invincible ignorance can diminish one’s culpability for evil done—even the crucifixion of our Savior. They still could be saved, or Jesus’ plea for their forgiveness to the Father would make no sense. Whoever enters heaven will do so only because of Christ and his sacrificial work on the cross. Some people may enter heaven having never heard of Christ, but it will be because of him that they enter.

One of the most misunderstood teachings of the Catholic Church is this one:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation" (Extra ecclesiam nulla salus).

Those trying to grasp the meaning of this teaching often struggle with its formulations by various Church Fathers and Church Councils down through history. Of course, to understand an isolated formulation of any Church teaching, one must study the historical context within which it was written: why it was written, what was going on in the Church at the time, who the intended audience was, and so on. One must discover how the magisterium (teaching office) of the Church understands its own teaching. If someone fails to do this and chooses, rather, to simply treat a particular formulation as a stand-alone teaching, he runs the risk of seriously misunderstanding it.

more at What "No Salvation Outside the Church" Means (This Rock: May-June 2010)
No Salvation Outside the Church (This Rock: December 2005)
Are you saying everyone gets into heaven? Even thous who reject the Church and Christianity all together?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JacobEzra said:
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

Katzpur knowing this would then be damned, would s/he, if s/he did not come to Christ.
I think you are making an incorrect assumption, Jacob. It is entirely possible to believe that "Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation" without also believing thet "the Catholic Church was founded... by God through Christ." I deeply believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that He was the Only Begotten Son of God, that He died for my sins, and that it is only through His atoning sacrifice that I might be reconciled to my Father in Heaven. If that is not "coming to Christ," I'm afraid I don't know what is. Since this thread is on the Catholic DIR forum, I'm not going to get into a debate over this issue here. I was merely curious as to what the Catholic position on the subject was, and apparently all of the Catholics posting do not agree with each other.

Incidentally, I'm not going to lie awake worrying about my eternal destiny. I know that God loves me deeply and recognizes that I love Him, too. I am quite comfortable with my relationship with Jesus Christ and not at all concerned that He's going to condemn me to an eternity of torment just because I was not a Catholic. Furthermore, I'm not at all concerned that He's going to do that to you either, just because you're not a Mormon. :) See you in Heaven!

Anyway, thanks to all who responded. Like I said, I'm not interested in a debate (not to mention the fact that it's against forum rules).

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it
I don't think Katzpur knows that the Catholic Church was founded by God. If she knew that Christ founded the Catholic Church and in the Church was the fullness of God's truth, I am certain she would be Catholic. She has never given me any impression that she would knowingly refuse a directive from God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't think Katzpur knows that the Catholic Church was founded by God. If she knew that Christ founded the Catholic Church and in the Church was the fullness of God's truth, I am certain she would be Catholic. She has never given me any impression that she would knowingly refuse a directive from God.
That is definitely safe to say.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It is my pleasure to answer your questions.
Matta said:
Is he predisposed in better understanding God, and the doctrine of the Church?
I don't believe the position grants such a grace.

God does protect the seat from apostasy, "... the gate of hell will not prevail against [the Church]".

Me Myself said:
Is God decidedly male acording Catholic view?
The Father and the Holy Spirit are genderless. Though we relate to them in masculine terms and understanding. Jesus is a male.

Was Jesus decidedly male according to the catholic view? and if he was not, could he have been incarnated in a woman?
I'd say Jesus was genderless before the incarnation, but once He became the divine man, 100% God and 100% human He became male.

I'm sure someone else could explain it better, but theologically He needed to be male. Adam was the first man, the progenitor of all the human race, and it was through Adam, the male of the first couple, that death entered humanity.

Jesus, the new first man, would re-introduce life to humanity, being a second Adam as it were.

Me Myself

Back to my username
It is my pleasure to answer your questions.

I don't believe the position grants such a grace.

God does protect the seat from apostasy, "... the gate of hell will not prevail against [the Church]".

The Father and the Holy Spirit are genderless. Though we relate to them in masculine terms and understanding. Jesus is a male.

I'd say Jesus was genderless before the incarnation, but once He became the divine man, 100% God and 100% human He became male.

I'm sure someone else could explain it better, but theologically He needed to be male. Adam was the first man, the progenitor of all the human race, and it was through Adam, the male of the first couple, that death entered humanity.

Jesus, the new first man, would re-introduce life to humanity, being a second Adam as it were.

Interesting... so theoretically, it wouldn´t be blasphemus to say Mother, son and holy spirit, because it is only a way to relate to a genderless being?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting... so theoretically, it wouldn´t be blasphemus to say Mother, son and holy spirit, because it is only a way to relate to a genderless being?
Blasphemous might be stretching it... so I'd say no.

However, such a formulation would be rejected. It was God that gave us the relation and understanding as a male. He told us to pray to Him as a "Father".

Me Myself

Back to my username
Blasphemous might be stretching it... so I'd say no.

However, such a formulation would be rejected. It was God that gave us the relation and understanding as a male. He told us to pray to Him as a "Father".

Ah good point. Thanks for the answers :D

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I think you are making an incorrect assumption, Jacob. It is entirely possible to believe that "Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation" without also believing thet "the Catholic Church was founded... by God through Christ." I deeply believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that He was the Only Begotten Son of God, that He died for my sins, and that it is only through His atoning sacrifice that I might be reconciled to my Father in Heaven. If that is not "coming to Christ," I'm afraid I don't know what is. Since this thread is on the Catholic DIR forum, I'm not going to get into a debate over this issue here. I was merely curious as to what the Catholic position on the subject was, and apparently all of the Catholics posting do not agree with each other.

Incidentally, I'm not going to lie awake worrying about my eternal destiny. I know that God loves me deeply and recognizes that I love Him, too. I am quite comfortable with my relationship with Jesus Christ and not at all concerned that He's going to condemn me to an eternity of torment just because I was not a Catholic. Furthermore, I'm not at all concerned that He's going to do that to you either, just because you're not a Mormon. :) See you in Heaven!

Anyway, thanks to all who responded. Like I said, I'm not interested in a debate (not to mention the fact that it's against forum rules).
I didn't mean by saying you are not a christian -_-

kepha31

Are you saying everyone gets into heaven? Even thous who reject the Church and Christianity all together?
No. Those who do not get into heaven reject God's mercy and love. But that is if they have experienced or know what it is. That has nothing to do with ones belief system. You have to be a human being to qualify for redemption, that's the minimum. But the best possible means of salvation is through the Church, (who teaches the One Mediator) and the Church has broadened her definition of herself. If a person has never heard of Christ, it is still through Him that such a person could be saved. There is no salvation outside the Church because we believe that Christ lives in the Church. Christ is the head of the Church and there is no salvation outside of That. The doctrine has not changed, it has been developed to answer hard questions about separated communities and unbeliever's souls.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
No. Those who do not get into heaven reject God's mercy and love. But that is if they have experienced or know what it is. That has nothing to do with ones belief system. You have to be a human being to qualify for redemption, that's the minimum. But the best possible means of salvation is through the Church, (who teaches the One Mediator) and the Church has broadened her definition of herself. If a person has never heard of Christ, it is still through Him that such a person could be saved. There is no salvation outside the Church because we believe that Christ lives in the Church. Christ is the head of the Church and there is no salvation outside of That. The doctrine has not changed, it has been developed to answer hard questions about separated communities and unbeliever's souls.
Okay, I think I understand.

Renji

Yup.. "He" is just the way the Israelites addressed Yahweh, but in reality, the father and holy spirit doesn't have a gender, for they are spirits. Spirit doesn't have gender for they don't have a flesh.
But yeah, being the "father" is the way he is described in the bible so I guess there's no need of changing it into mother.