• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Q and A

Renji

Any questions about the Catholic faith? I would like to answer ( Catholic bro's are welcome) ;)

Renji

I used to be Catholic. From a Christian perspective, I still see it as the proper church for Christianity.

Amen to that. Before other Christian Churches came, there is already the Catholic Church and it will stand (united, one and universal) until the end of time. :)

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
What is the difference between dulia and hyperdulia?

What is the significance of the Eucharist?

And for fun; which famous(popular) Saint, is the patron saint of Animals, and is the founder of the order most famous for their chairty and work for the poor.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the reasons that an adult would choose to become a Catholic specifically?
Because they are Christian, or are converting to Christianity, and they've discovered that the Catholic Church is the church founded by Christ with Peter as its rock and has the fullness of the Christian faith.

Jontehs

Premium Member

What is the significance of the Eucharist?

And for fun; which famous(popular) Saint, is the patron saint of Animals, and is the founder of the order most famous for their chairty and work for the poor.

question one :shrug:

question two/ the catholic church teaches that the Eucharist becomes Body and Blood of Christ under the mass

question three/ Francis of Assisi ?

please correct me if I am wrong

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Dulia is veneration, given to saints and angels... Hyperdulia is veneration greater than(as the prefix hyper makes obvious) normal dulia, and it is given only to Mary...

You didn't ask, but Latria is the worship due God alone.

Renji

What are the reasons that an adult would choose to become a Catholic specifically?

1) Catholic Church does not choose the age of it's members. Best example would be infant baptism.
2) The Church does not force its doctrines to its members. Hence, the people will have the sense of "obligation". They will follow the fundamental teachings of the Church because they are "willing" and not because the clergy told them to do so.
3) Openness to science. A Pope once said that " Science and religion coexists". Religion should not be a factor that should contradict science. Both must "work together" for the development of mankind.
4) The Church does not use the doctrine about hell to threaten people. The Church does state of its existence, but it does not say that a person should "join" the Church or he/she will go to hell (just like what we can hear from other sects).

Renji

What are relics for?

For veneration or memorial of those who died in Christ (Saints).

What is Immaculate conception and when was it declared offical,a nd by who?

Immaculate Conception is the Church doctrine about the conception of Virgin Mary without the stain of original sin (it should not be confused with the virginal conception of Christ) . Let's see the teaching of the church about that:

"...that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin"

It was officially declared by Pope Pius IX , in 1854 (December I think)in his writing of the Apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus.

Onkara

Because they are Christian, or are converting to Christianity, and they've discovered that the Catholic Church is the church founded by Christ with Peter as its rock and has the fullness of the Christian faith.

1) Catholic Church does not choose the age of it's members. Best example would be infant baptism.
2) The Church does not force its doctrines to its members. Hence, the people will have the sense of "obligation". They will follow the fundamental teachings of the Church because they are "willing" and not because the clergy told them to do so.
3) Openness to science. A Pope once said that " Science and religion coexists". Religion should not be a factor that should contradict science. Both must "work together" for the development of mankind.
4) The Church does not use the doctrine about hell to threaten people. The Church does state of its existence, but it does not say that a person should "join" the Church or he/she will go to hell (just like what we can hear from other sects).

Thanks Mister Emu and Lawrence :)
I am not very familiar with Christian denominations, do you mean that there is a lineage or link which makes Catholicism a stronger choice? I don't know of any denomination which does force it's dogma.

Why would I personally choose to become a Catholic, may be a better way of asking, if we make it personal for example. I cannot see why I would choose it :eek:

Is there a link you can share which explains Catholicism succinctly and accurately (or would you say Wikipedia)?

Many Sages One Truth

1) Doesn't the Catholic Church also affirm that the Eastern Orthodox churches are the other lung of the Church? What is the Catholic relationship to the Orthodox?

2) How is the Church working toward better understanding homosexuality and the reconciliation of homosexual members within the Church?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not very familiar with Christian denominations, do you mean that there is a lineage or link which makes Catholicism a stronger choice?
I believe so, which is why I started following the Church when I was baptist.

Why would I personally choose to become a Catholic, may be a better way of asking, if we make it personal for example.
Because the Catholic faith holds the truth? Because it is a religion of love; love of God, God's love of us, love for each other?

Is there a link you can share which explains Catholicism succinctly and accurately (or would you say Wikipedia)?
I haven't read the wikipedia in a while, but I would assume it is fairly accurate. Less succinct but of certain accuracy would be the Catechism(Catechism of the Catholic Church).

1) Doesn't the Catholic Church also affirm that the Eastern Orthodox churches are the other lung of the Church? What is the Catholic relationship to the Orthodox?
Well, to be more precise, Pope John Paul II referred to the two methods of understanding revelation, the scholastic approach of the West and the mystical approach of the East as the two lungs.

The Catholic Church views the Eastern Orthodox as schismatic not heretical. Their orders and sacraments are valid, their theology sound, but they are broken off from the Church. You'd have to ask a member of the Orthodox to more fully understand their position.

2) How is the Church working toward better understanding homosexuality and the reconciliation of homosexual members within the Church?
The Church leaves understanding homosexuality to the social sciences as far as I know, and I'm not sure what your second part means, could you clarify please?

Many Sages One Truth

I was asking if the Church is planning to change it's stance on homosexuality, or if it is working toward better understanding homosexuality, rather then dismissing it as sinful or out of order with God's will?

Onkara

Because the Catholic faith holds the truth? Because it is a religion of love; love of God, God's love of us, love for each other?

I haven't read the wikipedia in a while, but I would assume it is fairly accurate. Less succinct but of certain accuracy would be the Catechism(Catechism of the Catholic Church).

:)

How can we reconcile the "suffering" in Catholicism, such as Christ's suffering? Need we accept that Catholicism a religion based on repentance and suffering or how can we focus on the positivity and love (which you mention above)?