• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic church Sun Gods

Also, stereotyping others and being so judgmental is what we are taught by the scriptures and the Church not to do.

Sorry, I don’t mean to be judgmental, I just tell how I think matters are. Most, if not all, churches are not faithful to Jesus and his word, they love more their own doctrines of men than the words of Jesus. And I think that is sad. But I also believe it can be forgiven.

Terry Sampson

Please explain first what do you mean with worship?

If and when you read and/or study your Bible, pray to God, or praise Him, do you do it alone or with other people? If you do any of those things with other people, do you and the others do it in your home or in one of theirs, or do you and the others do it in a church, synagogue, mosque,or some other building. constructed primarily for religious purposes? Oh, yeah, ... I almost forgot: If you live in the U.S., do you claim tax deductions for charitable contributions to a 501(c)(3) organization?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Sorry, I don’t mean to be judgmental, I just tell how I think matters are. Most, if not all, churches are not faithful to Jesus and his word, they love more their own doctrines of men than the words of Jesus. And I think that is sad. But I also believe it can be forgiven.
So, which church do you belong to?

Also, I believe that what's essential in our Christian faith can be found in the Sermon On the Mount (Matthew 5-7), and the Catholic Church teaches that what's found there is essential for our Catholic faith. Do you believe otherwise?

So, which church do you belong to?

I think I am just a disciple of Jesus, all though I am also member in Lutheran church. I have been thinking that I resign from it, because I think it is also quite far from Jesus.

Also, I believe that what's essential in our Christian faith can be found in the Sermon On the Mount (Matthew 5-7), and the Catholic Church teaches that what's found there is essential for our Catholic faith. Do you believe otherwise?

I think it is important, but I think the whole Gospels are important. I think nothing of it should be ignored.

metis

I think I am just a disciple of Jesus, all though I am also member in Lutheran church. I have been thinking that I resign from it, because I think it is also quite far from Jesus.
Out of curiosity, thus not to argue, which where do you think they're "far from Jesus"?

BTW, I grew up in a fundamentalist Lutheran church (of Swedish origin), but left it over 40 years ago because of the anti-science position and the rampant racism found within it. However, to its credit, imo, that church has since changed for the better.

I think it is important, but I think the whole Gospels are important. I think nothing of it should be ignored.
I agree, which is why I am where I am, especially since my church actually chose the canon that you are reading and teach it on a daily basis-- literally.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Just remember that it is you saying "doctrines of men". Not us.

"Private" revelation is not something that can ever contradict public (divine) revelation, but that's not to say private revelation should be assumed impossible... Especially not from the source that penned the Holy Bible, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Out of curiosity, thus not to argue, which where do you think they're "far from Jesus"?

In that they don’t really remain in the teachings of Jesus, but have other teachings that are not from Jesus and even in contradiction with Jesus. For example, about these:

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:49

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.
John 14:10

…he who receives me, receives him who sent me.
John 13:20

Riders

The above is nothing short of bigoted ignorance. All denominations try and interpret and apply what they believe to be true, and no denomination is an exact replica of the early Church-- nor should it be because times and conditions change, thus adjustments needed to periodically be made.

Your "my-church-is-right-yours-is-wrong"-approach is something that should be beneath your dignity. It's a "religious" variation of "my daddy is bigger than your daddy". I don't play that game simply because I'm quite ecumenical and not a religious bigot, and that is at least partially due to the fact that I have studied various religions and denominations in detail as I used to teach a comparative religions course, also a "Lunch & Learn" course at my former synagogue that I taught for roughly 12 years, and also an adult conversion course at my local Catholic church that I've done for 15 years now.

Maybe do some studying first, and then maybe come back and we can have a serious conversation.

And my daddy IS bigger than your daddy! :p
I agree with you. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Catholic or Christian faith , I do believe it broke of from Pagan roots. But did not mean to spark any hate or anti Catholic retoric up here.

metis

In that they don’t really remain in the teachings of Jesus, but have other teachings that are not from Jesus and even in contradiction with Jesus. For example, about these:

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:49

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.
John 14:10

…he who receives me, receives him who sent me.
John 13:20
There is nothing that we teach within the Church that goes against those verses. I've covered the Trinitarian concept before on several threads ["essence"], so none of those verses go against that.

Also, just a reminder that what Paul and others wrote often went beyond Jesus' words and teachings. The Church must adapt to changing situations, and that was done even during the apostolic stage as we read in the epistles.

metis

Yes. Jesus is God in Catholicism.
Yes, but please do remember how "essence" fits in. Jesus is not God the Father, so there is some separation between them and also with the HS. Thus, I prefer to use this phrase for clarification's sake: Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of the Father.