• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cargo Cults

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"1630s, "internal knowledge," from conscious + -ness. Meaning "state of being aware of what passes in one's own mind" is from 1670s; meaning "state of being aware" of anything is from 1746. Consciousness-raising is attested from 1968."

Doesn't look that relevant to plants or bacteria.
the writer doesn't say its relevant only to humans either, or mammals, or .............

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
no everything isn't subjective, nor does it have to be, in order to be conscious. subjective is when you accept/reject information as good/bad. you give it a quality, a qualifier.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It lacks the hardware to be "aware" with. Simple reactions are not awareness, and even awareness isn't consciousness. Consciousness is the state of being aware of being aware.
no it is being aware of something. can be self and/or otherness.

had you read any of the myriad number of articles the scientists use the word conscious or intelligence..

We Never Know

No Slack
"1630s, "internal knowledge," from conscious + -ness. Meaning "state of being aware of what passes in one's own mind" is from 1670s; meaning "state of being aware" of anything is from 1746. Consciousness-raising is attested from 1968."

Doesn't look that relevant to plants or bacteria.

Plant intelligence, awareness.
New research on plant intelligence may forever change how you think about plants

Not to mention crown shyness
Crown shyness: trees that don’t touch – All you need is Biology

And plants know when they are being eaten and can chemically defensively respond.
Plants Can Tell When They're Being Eaten

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes. So how is consciousness not personal?
it doesn't have to be personal; especially when its found in myriad things and threatens someone's image of superiority..

maybe its more comfortable to anthropomorphize it?

siti

it doesn't have to be personal; especially when its found in myriad things and threatens someone's image of superiority..

maybe its more comfortable to anthropomorphize it?
Well now that surely is subjective. But you still haven't explained how consciousness could be impersonal.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
no it is being aware of something. can be self and/or otherness.

had you read any of the myriad number of articles the scientists use the word conscious or intelligence..
I know what the word means. You clearly do not, and I really don't understand why you prefer to misuse/be ignorant of it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Well now that surely is subjective. But you still haven't explained how consciousness could be impersonal.
yes i have. i explained that it doesn't have to be qualified. it can be just consciousness and not be personal. obviously for you, it needs to be? you want it to be about you, personal? what happened to objectivity?

again does it help you to anthropomorphize it? give it a form?

Last edited:

siti

yes i have. i explained that it doesn't have to be qualified. it can be just consciousness and not be personal. obviously for you, it needs to be? you want it to be about you, personal? what happened to objectivity?

again does it help you to anthropomorphize it? give it a form?
Certainly not personal to me - not even 'person' as in 'human' - I am asking you to explain how consciousness works in the absence of a 'person' - if a plant is indeed conscious - as a plant - then the plant is a 'person' - isn't it? You are arguing that consciousness is fundamental. How can fundamental consciousness work? What is it that is displaying or experiencing consciousness?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
it can be aware of itself and it's surrounding.
How do you come to this conclusion? Plants and microbes lack the neural hardware associated with awareness.
How are you defining "awareness?"

It can react to, or interact with its surroundings, but I see no indication that this rises to the level of awareness; certainly not self-awareness. Self awareness is iffy even in small children.

Last edited: