• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Canada is the only G7 country whose head of state is another country's citizen"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Canada is the only G7 country whose head of state is another country's citizen," said Flavio Volpe, president of Canada's Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association.

"I prefer someone from Windsor than from the House of Windsor" to be head of state, said Volpe, referring to the Canadian city across the river from Detroit.

"We should have serious conversations as a country about whether we can find a Canadian to fill a ceremonial post."
More Canadians see monarchy as 'outdated' but political risks block change

It will be interesting if a recent poll from last year ends up reflecting Canadian attitudes once Charles has actually been on the throne for a while:

With Prince Charles next in the line of succession for the throne, people were asked whether or not they would support "King Charles" as Canada's head of state if Queen Elizabeth II were to die or step down.

In response, 66% said they were opposed to recognizing him, with 40% of those citing strong opposition and 26% citing moderate opposition. Only 9% of people said they would strongly support "King Charles" and 25% said they would moderately support him.
More Than Half Of Canadians Wouldn't Support Prince Charles As King After The Queen Dies

I think that monarchy in the "colonies" has an extra dimension not present in the metropole. Set aside all the issues with hereditary monarchy; I don't think modern Britons would ever put up with an absent head of state who never made Britain their home.

In fact, history (particularly James II) suggests that fleeing the country is enough to deem a monarch as having abdicated.

Should Canada take a similar approach? Should the Canadian head of state be required to actually live in the country?

RestlessSoul

It will be interesting if a recent poll from last year ends up reflecting Canadian attitudes once Charles has actually been on the throne for a while:

More Than Half Of Canadians Wouldn't Support Prince Charles As King After The Queen Dies

I think that monarchy in the "colonies" has an extra dimension not present in the metropole. Set aside all the issues with hereditary monarchy; I don't think modern Britons would ever put up with an absent head of state who never made Britain their home.

In fact, history (particularly James II) suggests that fleeing the country is enough to deem a monarch as having abdicated.

Should Canada take a similar approach? Should the Canadian head of state be required to actually live in the country?

We're all ruled by oligarchs mate, and they're domiciled wherever they pay the least tax. Which, come to think of it, does quite often mean British Crown Territories, but that's another story.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

How much does Canada pay for the privilege of haveing hrh is head of state?

However much, you can guarantee hrh won't be paying tax on the income

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't think modern Britons would ever put up with an absent head of state who never made Britain their home.
If you'd been in the UK over the past week you'd have seen that if a sizeable chunk of the UK adult population (almost every notable public figure included) had a boot stamping on their heads they'd give themselves a neck strain trying to lick the sole. They'd put up with Queen Liz still being head of state from the pits of hell.

PureX

Veteran Member
If you'd been in the UK over the past week you'd have seen that if a sizeable chunk of the UK adult population (almost every notable public figure included) had a boot stamping on their heads they'd give themselves a neck strain trying to lick the sole.
When you Limeys gonna learn to speak English? That didn't make a lick-a-sense! :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How much does Canada pay for the privilege of haveing hrh is head of state?
Its soul? :D

Canada doesn't pay toward the monarch's salary or staff on an ongoing basis, but does pay for security, accommodations, etc., on royal visits, and pays all of the costs for vice-regal representatives and their staff (the Governor General and Lieutenant Governors).

However much, you can guarantee hrh won't be paying tax on the income
Generally, Canada doesn't tax non-residents.

Having a constitutional monarch as an apolitical, ceremonial head of state rather than yet another party politician playing to their side offers a number of benefits. I'd say the benefits outweigh the negatives even if you have no love for the actual monarch.

The problem for places like Canada is that many of the benefits don't really apply if the monarch is a foreigner who lives abroad.

The only potential benefits I can see are that it prevents you from actually having to waste time electing someone to perform the role and can pretty much just ignore it and get on with the parliamentary system of governance. For those folk who like that kind of thing, then there is also the tradition.

But it's not exactly surprising that many people would prefer their head of state to actually be from their country. It is a slightly odd state of affairs.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

We Americans resolved this issue almost 250 years ago. You should join up with us.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The UK does tax UK citizen on money earned abroad
Interesting.

In Canada, only income made in Canada is taxed in Canada.

And interestingly, Canadian citizens who have never lived in Canada aren't eligible to vote in Canadian elections or be elected as MP. Our head of state doesn't meet the requirements to serve in - or even vote for - "his" government.

Interesting.

In Canada, only income made in Canada is taxed in Canada.

UK citizens don't have to pay tax on money earned abroad if they spend fewer than 90 days in the UK during the tax year, and they don't try to repatriate the money.

There are also other rules for UK residents who earn money at home and abroad and have already been taxed on the foreign income which mean you may not have to pay tax twice on the same income.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We Americans resolved this issue almost 250 years ago. You should join up with us.
And we resolved the issue of Americans wanting Canada to "join up" with the US just over 200 years ago. ;)

While I'm ultimately in favour of abolishing the monarchy together, I find it interesting to think what would happen if we kept the monarchy but just added a residency requirement.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Me no speakee Ausee. No one does. I don't think even ya'll know what yer sayin'!

That wasn't Aussie, although we inherited enough rhyming slang from the Brits for it to make sense.

[translated to American]
You what, pal? You'll be out of luck if you think you're strong enough to fight with me and my mates.
[/translate]

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Canada and Australia both.
Right now, the head of state of Australia (and Canada) is;
1) Limited to a being a non-resident of the country.
2) Limited to being a foreign national.
3) Limited to being the head of a major Church.
4) Determined by accident of birth, rather than any particular qualification, skill, etc
5) Seems to be 'good' by virtue of being absent and uninvolved.
6) Left the Australian parliament unable to function, and our PM required to leave our shores to attend England on her passing (ok, so this last one is impactful only on Australia. I have no idea what happened in Canada)

None of these 6 points seem palatable to me, but put together and it is quite an infuriating state of affairs.
I think Elizabeth did a good job in her role, but there is nothing about the institution that I have the least amount of respect for.