• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can You Predict The Future?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That must hurt.
upload_2021-9-8_14-53-52.jpeg

PureX

Veteran Member
Only in a very limited way. Example; I predict that ten minutes from now, I will no longer be sitting at this computer.

Jeremiah Ames

Ever see a thread come up with new posts, & you just
know who will be posting, & exactly what will be said?
Ever want to respond, but you just know it will go wrong?

Sometimes the topic is interesting, but discussions are
repetitive, tedious, & uncomfortably personal. I'm not
one to look away...I rubber neck when there are traffic
accidents. But lately I find myself looking away.
The older we get, the easier it is to predict the future, imo.

But, in my experience, even when I could accurately predict it, often the problem was that I didn’t believe it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The older we get, the easier it is to predict the future, imo.

But, in my experience, even when I could accurately predict it, often the problem was that I didn’t believe it.
Another problem is having (or rather not) the presence
of mind to use one's prognostication powers.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You're a triple whammy minority.
And never cared what anybody thought of me. I couldn't predict the future, but I knew if I was true to myself, I would be okay. Growing up as I did, "I" was all I really had. I don't expect anybody to grok that.

Even when I lied to myself, I knew. Self-chastisement is a difficult feat. (I once sang Koko -- the Lord High Executioner -- in the Mikado, and I agree that self-decapitation is even harder), but I could usually muster up a "tsk-tsk, Allen, you should know better!"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Another problem is having (or rather not) the presence
of mind to use one's prognostication powers.
I've been predicting elections (Canadian mostly, American occasionally), and I've been surprisingly accurate.

Right now, we're have an election up here in the frozen north, and though the polls are against me at the moment, I'm predicting a change of government -- from a Liberal minority to a Conservative minority. (I voted already, in support of my prediction -- time for the Liberals to go.)

Can you actually believe that in Canada -- somewhat unlike the Excited States -- we can have an election called, over and done with in 36 days? Wouldn't you freaking love that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can you actually believe that in Canada -- somewhat unlike the Excited States -- we can have an election called, over and done with in 36 days? Wouldn't you freaking love that?
Meh....that's how it usually is here.
I'm more concerned with law & public policy than politics.
We've bigger problems than the 1/6 insurrection. At least
now we've 1 less....kudos to Biden for exiting Afghanistan.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I CAN predict the future... as a matter of fact, i am getting a download for you Revoltingest.......

In the next three years, something will break down in the stuff you own and you will need an emergency financial fund. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I CAN predict the future... as a matter of fact, i am getting a download for you Revoltingest.......

In the next three years, something will break down in the stuff you own and you will need an emergency financial fund. :D
What if I already have an emergency financial
fund to handle all possible events?
(I've long been a believer in having one.)

Edit...
I guess your prediction has already come to pass.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What if I already have an emergency financial
fund to handle all possible events?
(I've long been a believer in having one.)

Edit...
I guess your prediction has already come to pass.
Then you have validated my prediction... I know the future... :D

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

What a coincidence... I got a download, but it was by 56k and it will take 3 years for this prediction in 3 years to download.

cladking

I've put in hundreds of thousands of posts on dozens of websites. When I started I always hurried to read them and post before someone beat me to it. They never did. I learned over the years what a few would post and even hid their posts in mine before they posted a couple times. One site had obsolete software that would order posts by time so every autumn I could exactly quote the posts in the hour before the time change.

You have to know someone pretty well before you know what his post will be and there are only a few that I can predict with much accuracy. Mostly they are either friends or they are just predictable and generally because they believe everything they are told.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I wish I could predict the future, although I've noticed some topics and discussions usually tend to go along a familiar pattern.

If someone posted a thread that said "I have PROOF that the world is flat!" I can predict that a number of posters might jump on that like a pack of wolves on a three-legged cat.