• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you be an Atheist Pagan?

Stash

Long story short, I have been a practicing pagan for about 12 years now, but am slowly starting to realize that maybe I am an atheist.. I just dont beleive in a "Divine Force" of any sort..

It was my love of the earth that led me to paganism.. i just felt an affinity for nature, for the cycle of seasons, for the practical things like meditation etc... I still feel those things, but after studying about evolution and things like that, I have lost the sense that there must be "Someone" who made it. I feel that the the universe, (and I mean that literally).. is as close to god as we are going to get, if by god you mean the "creator"

So.. I realize I can have whatever label i do or dont want, but how to reconcile the two?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Long story short, I have been a practicing pagan for about 12 years now, but am slowly starting to realize that maybe I am an atheist.. I just dont beleive in a "Divine Force" of any sort..

It was my love of the earth that led me to paganism.. i just felt an affinity for nature, for the cycle of seasons, for the practical things like meditation etc... I still feel those things, but after studying about evolution and things like that, I have lost the sense that there must be "Someone" who made it. I feel that the the universe, (and I mean that literally).. is as close to god as we are going to get, if by god you mean the "creator"

So.. I realize I can have whatever label i do or dont want, but how to reconcile the two?
You could perhaps go with the idea that "God" is the "creative force" that is the universe presented to us, in each and every moment of our existing, in "images" of sight, sound, touch, smell and taste, and mind.

Nanda

Polyanna
I wish I knew. I've always thought Wicca would be a good fit for me, if I could only believe in it. :/

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I have a friend who loves nature, practices meditation and believes there is no God needed for all that. You know what, she just calls herself atheist. Atheist is based upon God, not nature!

I don't know enough about pagan, but if what(ever) you believe is according to paganism and you don't believe in God...
Let's just say that purelly based upon your OP i'd say you're a pure atheist.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
paganism certainly doesn't necessitate a theistic belief, though one is common among Pagan circles. meditation can be purely about the mind, the affinity with nature and it's cycles could simply be about learning and understanding the world and your place in it. heck, even magic in and of itself can just be an extension of the will and not involve a theistic belief.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
paganism certainly doesn't necessitate a theistic belief, though one is common among Pagan circles. meditation can be purely about the mind, the affinity with nature and it's cycles could simply be about learning and understanding the world and your place in it. heck, even magic in and of itself can just be an extension of the will and not involve a theistic belief.
I agree with Mike here. There are some that go with that Paganism is more of a life style and a way of thinking then a religion with Gods/Goddess and all that. So yes I would say that one could be an Atheist and a Pagan.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

The symbolic representations and emotions and you see and feel in nature may be all the "force" you need. Remember that even if denying a God or Creator, you still have yourself creating patterns and associations strong enough to influence the universe.