• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we bring the Greek Gods back, please?

Pastadamus

Here's a humorous, yet informative article about reviving ancient Greek spirituality:

Can we bring the Greek Gods back, please?

Has anyone else noticed modern organized religion is kind of a bummer? Even if your divine belief system isn't violently persecuting another, it seems like you're still trapped in a church singing dirges all Sunday. Modern religion doesn't have anyflair. This is why I'd like to offer a modest proposal: Let's bring back the ancient Greek gods. Yes, I mean Zeus, Hera, Apollo, Aphrodite, Ares, the whole shebang — and here's why I think they'd make a significant improvement over our current options.

Personally I think he makes quite a decent case.

Thoughts?

KidatHeart

Well, the information was not entirely accurate, at least from what I remember about Greek mythology, but it was an entertaining article, and there are some good points (which could be satisfied by the existence of angels of a certain nature). They do make sense in some ways, and they might make life more interesting. But I always saw Greek gods as somewhat petty. I don't think that would be pleasant to deal with, as a human.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd love to help the Minotaur with his sacrifices of Athenian youths, if there was an overrun. :D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Honestly, considering the wealth of information we have on Greek religion and mythology, I'm surprised Hellenistic reconstructionism isn't more widespread already.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No kidding. Add to that the many other Neopagans who already worship gods from the Greek pantheon. I become variously amused and frustrated that most people are so clueless about the existence of Neopaganism and its various reconstructionist traditions. But hey, we don't exactly proselytize, so it's kind of our own fault.
True. But there's Wikipedia now.

It's almost as annoying as people thinking my son can't eat eggs because he can't eat dairy, and then finishing with "because eggs are dairy". :p

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I kept giggling while reading the article. It could be more interesting to have a polytheistic society. Then again I was already pointed out that we'd have crazy fundamentalists anyway. If following a benevolent deity leads to, what would worshipping Hades do to people? (I guess nothing, since people are perfectly fine in India... right?)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The pagan group I visited once during University had beliefs in Greek gods.

They believed in many of the pantheons of gods sort of merged together. So like Odin, Zeus, Ra; all in.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
How about the Slavic gods? Veles is pretty lonely :(

220px-Veles_Slavic_god.jpg

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I kept giggling while reading the article. It could be more interesting to have a polytheistic society. Then again I was already pointed out that we'd have crazy fundamentalists anyway. If following a benevolent deity leads to, what would worshipping Hades do to people? (I guess nothing, since people are perfectly fine in India... right?)

Haaaaaaaaaaa.... no, things are actually pretty bad over there.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, the information was not entirely accurate, at least from what I remember about Greek mythology, but it was an entertaining article, and there are some good points (which could be satisfied by the existence of angels of a certain nature). They do make sense in some ways, and they might make life more interesting. But I always saw Greek gods as somewhat petty. I don't think that would be pleasant to deal with, as a human.

That is sort of the point, though. Greek society had a very enlightened attitude towards its gods (and heroes, too).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Monotheism is somewhat more risky from a mental health and behavior perspective than politheism, exactly because it lends itself so easily to abusive fundamentalism.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Monotheism is somewhat more risky from a mental health and behavior perspective than politheism, exactly because it lends itself so easily to abusive fundamentalism.
But it's still possible to be a polytheistic (or even atheistic) fundie, however. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Possible, perhaps. But far as I can guess it is not only usually, but even inherently far less harmful. Besides, it happens far less often.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Possible, perhaps. But far as I can guess it is not only usually, but even inherently far less harmful. Besides, it happens far less often.
From the perspective as a theist in a place with more non-theists, I've encountered significantly more fundy non-theists than theists, both in number and as a percentage.

Polytheistic fundies, though, not so many, but some (some people who were my friends but stopped talking to me when I became religious :p) -- but I've not met as many polytheists.

... I was going somewhere with this, but I just watched an earwig drop onto my desk from the wall and it killed my concentration. :cover:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From the perspective as a theist in a place with more non-theists, I've encountered significantly more fundy non-theists than theists, both in number and as a percentage.

Polytheistic fundies, though, not so many, but some (some people who were my friends but stopped talking to me when I became religious :p) -- but I've not met as many polytheists.

... I was going somewhere with this, but I just watched an earwig drop onto my desk from the wall and it killed my concentration. :cover:
How do you define a 'fundy non-theist'?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
An observant professor of religion I once had noted that the difference between monotheism and polytheism are rather superficial. All monotheistic systems recognize multiplicity in the sacred, and all polytheistic systems recognize unity in the sacred, on some level. The difference is more where the focus of worship lies and how practice is oriented, not the numbers game.