• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we bring the Greek Gods back, please?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly I think Hinduism covers all bases. The Greek gods often resemble the Hindu gods (ie/ Zeus and Indra).

KidatHeart

Honestly I think Hinduism covers all bases. The Greek gods often resemble the Hindu gods (ie/ Zeus and Indra).
I don't think it's surprising that similar gods can be found in different belief systems. People have needs in common, and therefore the gods they call upon have commonalities.

KidatHeart

That is sort of the point, though. Greek society had a very enlightened attitude towards its gods (and heroes, too).
I still wouldn't like to be subject to them. If they were benevolent and just as opposed to petty and detached, I might be more willing.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't think it's surprising that similar gods can be found in different belief systems. People have needs in common, and therefore the gods they call upon have commonalities.

There's actually more to it than that.

The Vedic gods and Greek gods share a common origin. But there are differences; the Devas aren't as petty as the Olympians, typically.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How do you define a 'fundy non-theist'?
"Religion should be illegal"
"Religious people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to breed/vote/marry"
"Religion is a cancer and we need to cure people stupid enough to believe in it"
"I'd happily kill every priest and religious leader in the world"
"I'd love to firebomb a church"
Throwing bricks at the Easter Procession and calling them "******* doo-gooder *****"
Smashing the windows of churches
... and on and on.

These are ones I've encountered. Personally.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That is sort of the point, though. Greek society had a very enlightened attitude towards its gods (and heroes, too).
Though IIRC, Greeks had quite a dismal view of women; they weren't allowed outside the house in daylight hours, or something -- again, IIRC. I can't remember exactly off-hand.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

All pretty much from Proto-Indo-European religion. Dyaus Pitr=Zeus=Iovis Pater (Jupiter). Zeus is the early form of Deus, Dio, Dios, Theos, Deva. The proposed and backward reconstructed PIE was deiwos.

The king and the god - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the similarity between Werunos and Varuna (v and w are allophones).

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Religion should be illegal"
"Religious people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to breed/vote/marry"
"Religion is a cancer and we need to cure people stupid enough to believe in it"
"I'd happily kill every priest and religious leader in the world"
"I'd love to firebomb a church"
Throwing bricks at the Easter Procession and calling them "******* doo-gooder *****"
Smashing the windows of churches
... and on and on.

These are ones I've encountered. Personally.
Ok those are pretty 'fundy'.

KidatHeart

There's actually more to it than that.

The Vedic gods and Greek gods share a common origin. But there are differences; the Devas aren't as petty as the Olympians, typically.
I didn't mean to oversimplify it. Sure there are differences.

My point was that it is not surprising that there could be things in common between gods from different religions.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I didn't mean to oversimplify it. Sure there are differences.

My point was that it is not surprising that there could be things in common between gods from different religions.

No, I think he was explaining why there are similarities, actually ,it has to do with the relation in history of migratory groups taking their religion with them as they moved around and settled in various places, there actually are 'similarities' between many ythic figures because of similar origins.

In some places however you have big differences between deities and beliefs, even in the middle east there are surprising variation of mythic or deities in religions.

KidatHeart

No, I think he was explaining why there are similarities, actually ,it has to do with the relation in history of migratory groups taking their religion with them as they moved around and settled in various places, there actually are 'similarities' between many ythic figures because of similar origins.

In some places however you have big differences between deities and beliefs, even in the middle east there are surprising variation of mythic or deities in religions.
I think it's about the origins of religion. Of whether they are made up by people or divinely revealed. And when they're written down.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Though IIRC, Greeks had quite a dismal view of women; they weren't allowed outside the house in daylight hours, or something -- again, IIRC. I can't remember exactly off-hand.

Except Spartan women. An Athenian asked a Spartan woman how they had such control over Spartan men. The Spartan woman replied "because Spartan women give birth to Spartan men".

Straw Dog

Except Spartan women. An Athenian asked a Spartan woman how they had such control over Spartan men. The Spartan woman replied "because Spartan women give birth to Spartan men".

Some Greek schools were in favor of more equality for women. Just like today, some people were more sexist than others for whatever reason.

Straw Dog

A polytheism coupled with a skeptical pluralism might work well in society. Nobody could assert the dominance of their deity over others on rational grounds, but would still be free to hold their belief.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah, except Spartans; but then they're wholly different. :D

A polytheism coupled with a skeptical pluralism might work well in society. Nobody could assert the dominance of their deity over others on rational grounds, but would still be free to hold their belief.
Couldn't the same work for a panentheism or monotheism with a pluralistic and universalistic leaning?

No eternal hell for unbelief, no need to force others to convert, etc?