• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the soul die?

Frank Goad

No, the soul cannot die because the soul is immortal. Only physical things die. The soul is not physical so it cannot die. Any scriptures that say that a soul dies mean that the soul will not not have eternal life, but that soul will still continue to exist forever in the spiritual world. For example:

Matthew 16:24-26 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Jesus was saying to deny our selfish desires, things we want that are not of God, and to follow in His Way. For whoever will live for self shall lose his eternal life, but whoever will sacrifice his life for the sake of Jesus shall gain eternal life. So if we live for self and the worldly things we gain the world but we lose our soul because we lose eternal life. Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God, which according to Jesus comes from believing in Him and following in His way.

What about this?:
Matthew 10:28
King James Version

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What about this?:
King James Version

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
What about Genesis 2:7.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What about this?:
King James Version

Destroying the soul in hell means that soul will nit have eternal life. That soul will be 'as dead' but it will still continue to exist. Souls that sin become a victim of self and passion and will sink in their depths... That means they are in a hellish state of existence.

“Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return unto Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths...”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 158-159

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think the first question is ...

Dos the soul exist?

Only then can we worry about it dying.
Not quite, actually. Things exist that don't die -- rocks, card tables and so forth. The real first question is "is the soul alive?"

I'd love to see that one answered.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you look at Ezekiel 18:20 in the kjv.It says the soul that sins it shall die.It doesn't say he or she will die.It says it shall die(referring to the soul).Also in James 5:20 it says the exact opposite.
we are assembled

we cannot be disassembled

it is written.....Fear not anyone who would harm the flesh
rather......Fear He who is able to rend the soul

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
very much on earth
Never ever on earth will anyone live forever. That is a complete fantasy and it is contradicted by the Bible.
What JWs believe is in complete contradiction to the Bible that JWs say they believe in.

John 14:2
King James Version

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Jesus Christ prepares a place in heaven for His own, those who have come to Him in faith, and the Holy Spirit prepares the redeemed on earth for their place in heaven. Revelation 7:9 tells us that there will be a "great multitude in heaven that no one could number" all standing before the throne. Here, again, the imagery is of multitudes together, not living separately in different mansions.
Do we receive mansions in heaven? | GotQuestions.org

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
go look in the mirror
is your head......a rock
Well, take up neurosurgery, then when you've located a living soul that is not living tissue -- you publish that and become the most famous person in history.

How much of that head you're looking at is "the soul" that you can't do without? There's a wealth of information available to you online that can show how just how much you can actually do without -- so which part is not the rock? Over to you, Dr. Vesalius.

We Never Know

No Slack
If you look at Ezekiel 18:20 in the kjv.It says the soul that sins it shall die.It doesn't say he or she will die.It says it shall die(referring to the soul).Also in James 5:20 it says the exact opposite.

In my opinion a persons spirit can be killed while they live on. As for a soul, what is a soul? How does it differ from a persons spirit?