• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the soul die?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The spirit is not the soul. Did you read the article?
Really? What is it, then? Now we not only have body and soul, we have body, soul and spirit and they're all different? Can we through in clothes and surface microbes and get into some really interesting stuff?

I mean, so when you die, your body is going to get buried, your soul may go to heaven or hell -- and your spirit is going to what? -- go to a few movies, haunt a kiddies playground?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In my opinion a persons spirit can be killed while they live on. As for a soul, what is a soul? How does it differ from a persons spirit?
The spirit and the soul designate the same entity and it is associated with the mind and it is the person himself whereas the body is just a place to house the soul.

"The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul, and these two names—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings." Some Answered Questions, p. 208

A person can become depressed and disheartened so the spirit (soul) can become downcast.

"Joy gives us wings! In times of joy our strength is more vital, our intellect keener, and our understanding less clouded. We seem better able to cope with the world and to find our sphere of usefulness. But when sadness visits us we become weak, our strength leaves us, our comprehension is dim and our intelligence veiled. The actualities of life seem to elude our grasp, the eyes of our spirits fail to discover the sacred mysteries, and we become even as dead beings." Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks

However, the spirit (soul) can never die because it is a sign of God and it is immortal.

We Never Know

No Slack
The spirit and the soul designate the same entity and it is associated with the mind and it is the person himself whereas the body is just a place to house the soul.

"The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul, and these two names—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings."
Some Answered Questions, p. 208

A person can become depressed and disheartened so the spirit (soul) can become downcast.

"Joy gives us wings! In times of joy our strength is more vital, our intellect keener, and our understanding less clouded. We seem better able to cope with the world and to find our sphere of usefulness. But when sadness visits us we become weak, our strength leaves us, our comprehension is dim and our intelligence veiled. The actualities of life seem to elude our grasp, the eyes of our spirits fail to discover the sacred mysteries, and we become even as dead beings." Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks

However, the spirit (soul) can never die because it is a sign of God and it is immortal.
So basically a person living with a broken spirit is soulesss?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I mean, so when you die, your body is going to get buried, your soul may go to heaven or hell -- and your spirit is going to what? -- go to a few movies, haunt a kiddies playground?
The spirit and the soul are the same entity. When your physical body dies and gets buried your soul (spirit) passes to another realm of existence, a spiritual world, usually referred to as heaven. Here is what happens:

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So basically a person living with a broken spirit is soulesss?
No, not at all, they are just depressed. They still have a soul but it cannot express itself very well, it is as if it is hidden under a bushel. But when they start to feel better then the soul can begin to express itself again.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Really? What is it, then? Now we not only have body and soul, we have body, soul and spirit and they're all different? Can we through in clothes and surface microbes and get into some really interesting stuff?

@We Never Know said... I scanned it...

Evangelicalhumanist, This happens when one listen to inaccurate confusing stories, rather than study texts for oneself.

Same with the Hebrew word Sheol, and the Greek word Hades. Rather than study these, peple listen to all sorts of conflicting confusing ideas. Then they turn around and blame the text.

Laziness is to blame, and in a lot of cases willful ignorance, and a desire to remain that way, as an excuse for badness.

Why ask questions when one does not want the answer?
Who's to blame when one takes the attitude like that of Pilate?
(John 18:38) Pilate said to him: “What is truth?” After saying this, he went out. . .

...or Pharaoh?
(Exodus 5:2) Pharaoh said: “Who is Jehovah, that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all, and what is more, I will not send Israel away.”

What pride and arrogance.
They soon learned.
A lot today are the same, and they haven't learned from those examples. it's been written, they too will learn.

We Never Know

No Slack
@We Never Know said... I scanned it...

Evangelicalhumanist, This happens when one listen to inaccurate confusing stories, rather than study texts for oneself.

Same with the Hebrew word Sheol, and the Greek word Hades. Rather than study these, peple listen to all sorts of conflicting confusing ideas. Then they turn around and blame the text.

Laziness is to blame, and in a lot of cases willful ignorance, and a desire to remain that way, as an excuse for badness.

Why ask questions when one does not want the answer?
Who's to blame when one takes the attitude like that of Pilate?
(John 18:38) Pilate said to him: “What is truth?” After saying this, he went out. . .

...or Pharaoh?
(Exodus 5:2) Pharaoh said: “Who is Jehovah, that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all, and what is more, I will not send Israel away.”

What pride and arrogance.
They soon learned.
A lot today are the same, and they haven't learned from those examples. it's been written, they too will learn.

I don't believe in god or what the bible says.
In my opinion reading the bible is like reading a superman comic. Its fairy tales.

But at least I was honest and told you I only scanned it.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Reading the bible is like reading a superman comic. Its fairy tales.
Thanks for expressing you opinion. Many have that opinion, but it is based on what? Their opinion about other opinions.
...but why ask about things you don't want to know? Is it only to mock?
I'll know in future. Thanks.
Do you understand what Jesus meant when he uttered the words at Matthew 7:6? Now you know. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Reading the bible is like reading a superman comic. Its fairy tales.
And it is no longer necessary to read the Bible to get the truth about God and the soul and the afterlife because God has spoken again in this age and what was revealed is a lot easier to understand... No more hunting through the Bible for verses that contradict each other and trying to piece verses together in a vain attempt to to figure these things out. All the answers are now at our fingertips, just a click away.

We Never Know

No Slack
Thanks for expressing you opinion. Many have that opinion, but it is based on what? Their opinion about other opinions.
...but why ask about things you don't want to know? Is it only to mock?
I'll know in future. Thanks.
Do you understand what Jesus meant when he uttered the words at Matthew 7:6? Now you know. :)

I edited my post...
"I don't believe in god or what the bible says.
In my opinion reading the bible is like reading a superman comic. Its fairy tales.

But at least I was honest and told you I only scanned it."

Isn't having faith and believing based on the opinions of others?

We Never Know

No Slack
And it is no longer necessary to read the Bible to get the truth about God and the soul and the afterlife because God has spoken again in this age and what was revealed is a lot easier to understand... No more hunting through the Bible for verses that contradict each other and trying to piece verses together in a vain attempt to to figure these things out. All the answers are now at our fingertips, just a click away.
Has a god ever spoken personally to you? Or us your belief and faith based on what you've been told or read?

We Never Know

No Slack

With all due respect, who did god speak to and what did he tell them?

Fallen Prophet

If you look at Ezekiel 18:20 in the kjv.It says the soul that sins it shall die.It doesn't say he or she will die.It says it shall die(referring to the soul).Also in James 5:20 it says the exact opposite.
My understanding of these two verses is that they are both referring to "spiritual death" - which is our separation from God.

We all commit sin - and are therefore currently subject to this "spiritual death" - yet through the repentance process - we can be forgiven and again enter into God's presence.

I also believe - from reading the entire verse in Ezekiel - that the word "soul" is synonymous with "person" or "individual" - because after claiming that the soul that sins "shall die" Ezekiel claimed that "the son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."

It is clear that Ezekiel was trying to teach that we - all of us - cannot be held responsible for the sins of another and that we all will be held accountable for our deeds.