• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can sexual identity be changed?

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
Same for me.

I am asking to you and dgirl : is it because of a religious background that you tried to change your sexual orientation?

I have not tried to change, but I'd have to say my religious background gave me internalized homophobia. Fortunately it doesn't affect me now that I'm out and proud, but it has left its mark...

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
Most human behavior is "unnatural". Are having computers, eating genetically modified food and using mediation diseases?

And if homosexuality is unnatural, then all human sexuality is considering that its expressions have always been diverse and vary depending on sociocultural factors.

Agnostic75

Freelance Policeman said:
I don't usually get myself involved in homosexual debates, but considering that homosexuality is definitely unnatural, it can probably be "cured."

How can homosexuality be cured? Have you not read all of the evidence in this thread that shows that sexual identity can only rarely be changed?

What would be evidence that a homosexual had been cured of homosexuality?

When young people experience puberty, they have no control over which sexual urges they have. If free will exists, they have control over their actions, but not over their urges. Thus, whatever sexual urges are predominant in puberty are natural to each individual.

If homosexuality is not natural, why is it so widespread in nature? Over 1500 species of animals and birds practice homosexuality, and all bonobo monkeys are bi-sexual.

Agnostic75

मैत्रावरुणि said:
Namaste,

Well, what is the consensus? Can sexual identity be changed or not?

It can change in a few cases, but when it does, it is usually through no conscious efforts of those whose sexual identity changes. It just happens, just like initial sexual identity during puberty. The moderator Odion knew a homosexual whose sexual identity changed through no conscious efforts of his own.

For me, evidence of a change in sexual identity for a gay man would be if he did not have and more strong same-sex urges.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I am asking to you and dgirl : is it because of a religious background that you tried to change your sexual orientation?

I have not tried to change, but I'd have to say my religious background gave me internalized homophobia. Fortunately it doesn't affect me now that I'm out and proud, but it has left its mark...

Religious and it was hammered into me from an early age what was expected from girls.

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
So even though you had all this social pressure and expectations, it turns out you like women. Stories like that just show that attraction for one's own sex is so strong that it can hardly be repressed even when one risks judgement and rejection.

Sexual orientation is such an important part of one's personality that it pushes people to go against the flow. One does not simply contradict the mores of her or his family and environment just for "something unimportant that can be changed".

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Religious upbringing and lack of education on orientation. I knew gays and lesbians existed in the world, but I had no idea bisexuality existed until I was a teenager. I just thought I was sick and demented for 20 years. Went through a long period of intense self-loathing to the point where a gun in my mouth sounded like a great idea.

I don't wish that kind of psychological torture on anyone. I accepted my orientation and left any community that doesn't make me feel safe. Life is much better now.

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
Religious upbringing and lack of education on orientation. I knew gays and lesbians existed in the world, but I had no idea bisexuality existed until I was a teenager.

:( at least you are now much better!

I can't believe how religion is unfortunately encouraging homophobia and biphobia even more so. I suppose that people around you thought that you were a just "not trying hard enough" to be heterosexual...

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
:( at least you are now much better!

I can't believe how religion is unfortunately encouraging homophobia and biphobia even more so. I suppose that people around you thought that you were a just "not trying hard enough" to be heterosexual...

Seems there is no inbetween for the two extrememes. Homophobia/biphobia/transphobia and then you get the over policitical correctness/gender exclusiveness

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, you can't. You can only accept it or repress it. Better accept it because life's far too short to spend it hating yourself. Hating yourself will shorten your life, anyway.

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
:) I have many close trans friends, who identify as transsexuals more specifically. Only women though, so I know less about the men's perspective.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
:) I have many close trans friends, who identify as transsexuals more specifically. Only women though, so I know less about the men's perspective.

Cool. I'm a transsexual, really, but I don't mind calling myself transgender as well. :)

Trans women do seem to be easier to come across. But I've known a fair number of trans men, too. I guess we just know where to find each other. :)

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Cool. I'm a transsexual, really, but I don't mind calling myself transgender as well. :)

Trans women do seem to be easier to come across. But I've known a fair number of trans men, too. I guess we just know where to find each other. :)
When you say trans women do you mean meantally a woman and physically a man or physically a woman and mentally a man? I'm not trying to be offensive I just really don't know.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When you say trans women do you mean meantally a woman and physically a man or physically a woman and mentally a man? I'm not trying to be offensive I just really don't know.

Trans woman = labeled male at birth but identifies and lives as female (male to female)

Trans man = labeled female at birth but identifies and lives as male (female to male)

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Trans woman = labeled male at birth but identifies and lives as female (male to female)

Trans man = labeled female at birth but identifies and lives as male (female to male)
Thank you that clears it up! I haven't actually met a trans person yet. Or perhaps I have and didn't know they were trans. So I am not terribly attuned to their community.