• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Satan Exist Without God?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A post made me think about it. Why if so?

That'd be a way interesting belief.

edit: The original post that made me think was the opposite.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As a Hindu, I have never believed in Satan or a 'devil'. In fact, I don't think the concept makes sense at all, unless Satan is an agent of God.

The existence of Satan is not necessary. God does not depend on a rebellious force in order to exist. That would certainly make him seem like a weak god.

The Sum of Awe

As a Hindu, I have never believed in Satan or a 'devil'. In fact, I don't think the concept makes sense at all, unless Satan is an agent of God.

The existence of Satan is not necessary. God does not depend on a rebellious force in order to exist. That would certainly make him seem like a weak god.

Sorry, my edit was late, it was the other way around.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Lucifer as a good guy existed without being in rebellion, if that's the question,

However the accuser needs someone to accuse.

Erebus

However the accuser needs someone to accuse.

Though we probably view this in different ways, I agree with that statement. Satan (not the Hebrew Satan mind you, the Satan that has evolved in western society) is either a villain or an anti-hero depending on your view. As such he needs something to oppose, such as the concept of "good" or whatever a particular society holds in high regard.

This need not be God, but it does need to be something held in reverence if Satan and his followers are to be effective Devils.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I agree with Shyanekh; the point of the traditional Christian Satan, from a story point of view, is to be the shadow by which God's brightness can be measured. No light, no shadow.

The Sum of Awe

Though we probably view this in different ways, I agree with that statement. Satan (not the Hebrew Satan mind you, the Satan that has evolved in western society) is either a villain or an anti-hero depending on your view. As such he needs something to oppose, such as the concept of "good" or whatever a particular society holds in high regard.

This need not be God, but it does need to be something held in reverence if Satan and his followers are to be effective Devils.

Great post! Thank you.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
According to Webster's....Adversary.

If this name is sufficient, then He would be resistant to the will of the Creator.

Are we then discussing the possible death of a Creator God?....
as if the Adversary has overcome the will of the Creator?

The Sum of Awe

According to Webster's....Adversary.

If this name is sufficient, then He would be resistant to the will of the Creator.

Are we then discussing the possible death of a Creator God?....
as if the Adversary has overcome the will of the Creator?

Not really, just if the Devil existed but God never had.

not nom

Can there be a DAY without NIGHT????

yeah. you know, sunshine all the time. we wouldn't call it day anymore, but it still would be what it is. though that would suck IMHO, the night in itself is beautiful and makes the day even better.

but spring without winter for example? sign me up! :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not really, just if the Devil existed but God never had.

That idea simply changes the names.
Giving credit to 'the other' for the creation.

Try thinking ....Almighty.
An almighty by any name....

Perhaps that is why God said to Moses....
'Tell the people...'I AM'...and they that understand will know whose law this is.'

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper

However for him to be in rebellion I would argue their needs to be a supreme authority, and by definition this supreme authority of all things is God

BruceDLimber

IOV God is One, Supreme, and has no equal or rival! There is thus no "devil" out there competing with Him.

And "satan" merely refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

Peace, :)

Bruce