• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Religion and Science work together?

Can Religion and Science work together?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Nefelie

"Working together" implies that there's a specific task that needs doing.
What, exactly, is the task or tasks in question?

Maybe religion can offer possible explanations to things science can’t give explanations?

Maybe these explanations can be examined by science to find proof or at least a rational/possible validation?

Do you think that is possible?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe religion can offer possible explanations to things science can’t give explanations?

Maybe these explanations can be examined by science to find proof or at least a rational/possible validation?

That isn't really very reasonable.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It depends by what we mean by "working together".
Science is independent, cannot be influenced by preconceived ideas, it must not be compromised. Research and investigation leads to what is found, not what you want it to find. Its findings are checked, reviewed and critiqued.
If religion can accept all of these, then yes, they can work together

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Can you give me some examples of how they are conflicting to the point of being a major detriment to proggress?

Nefelie

I would say in the same way astronomy and astrology can work together.

Actually, that’s a perfect example. :thumbsup:

Astronomy and Astrology used to be one for several centuries. Worked just fine.

So was Chemistry and Alchemy.

Almost all ancient Greek scientists were also Mysts (initiated in the ancient religious Mysteries). Aristotle, Democritus, Hippocrates. And they created the “cradle of modern western civilization and science”.

Fun fact: did you know that Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used to say that: “the doctor who has no knowledge of Astrology is not worthy of the title ‘doctor’”??

So, there you have it: religion and science working together just fine.

morphesium

Voted NO:D.

• Every religion has some dis-proovable "dogmas" that believers (have to) accept as truth; something that makes the crux of their religion and something that doesn't have any scientific validity. Science being rational and provable, is usually against these dogmas. People adhere to their religion not due to rational reasons but because of psychological reasons. It is for this reason hard core religious believers sees every other religion as stupid.
  • I have heard some people say with science one can know about the physical world but to know yourself; you need religion. I do agree with the first part, and concerning the second part, no religion has studied about human nature or human behavior the way modern science does. Religion never had any modern medical facilities, nor had the intentions. People with psychological disorders, unique medical conditions (eg Synesthesia) and those people who rationally asked questions about their religion were often punished gruesomely for no reasons. (No religion ever mentioned such medical conditions as a disease or a disorder even though they punished them). Science is the best path to know about oneself and to change ones nature if one desires. I do believe religion is a curse on mankind. We can achieve far higher levels of morality through proper education with the help of science than with religion. It is only now we are beginning to understand how religion affect us psychologically, what is subconscious, how we form habits, why one gets addicted, what makes people turn away from their religion to another and so on and what makes them a hard core believer.
Science and religion can never work together - for one is based on fact and the other belief. One is provable and the other disprovable assumptions. One is based on reason and the other illogical. One is universal truth and the other based on stories. Even if some asteroid falls on earth and send humanity to stone age, we would finally develop the very same scientific principles that we have now over time and many religions may evolve but no religion that we know now will be born again.​

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Science has determined that semen comes from the testicles which are not situated between the backbone and the ribs.
Science 1, Islam 0.
Please quote from a text book of science where it has mentioned any objection on the Quranic verses quoted by you. Will you? Please
Regards

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

...that makes no sense. That's not religion's purpose.

Not for religions that deal in Gap-Gods.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
True, but it's also true that chemicals can build up and only become reactive once it hits a certain threshold. No "one" moved it, so to speak.
when considering the beginning...and the singularity....
there is only that 'snap' as substance expands in every direction.....
and in a spin....don't forget the spin....

chemistry as we know it did not gel for a lengthy period after that.....'snap'

Kelly of the Phoenix

when considering the beginning...and the singularity....
there is only that 'snap' as substance expands in every direction.....
and in a spin....don't forget the spin....

chemistry as we know it did not gel for a lengthy period after that.....'snap'
What does spin have to do with it? Every atomic particle spins. So what?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
His post is a tad extreme maybe, but I agree with the premise of a lot of it. What do you consider strange about it?

Between conflating religion with dogmatism, claiming religion doesn't stem from reason, that "hard core" believers think other religions are stupid, claiming religion is a curse, and apparently being in denial of people like me existing, "strange" was a polite way of saying "this is a load of $#@%."

I also found the religious attitude towards science highly amusing. Science is our one true savior! All hail science!