• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Jewish law be fulfilled?

A

angellous_evangellous

Then all you have to do is show in the context what it does mean. . .

This is just more (2) @ http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2318652-post514.html

Well, that depends on which of your misinterpretations you're talking about.

For your process of death in "dying you shall die," one needs to look no farther than the simplest commentary or Hebrew grammar. Context would be the ancient Hebrew syntax. I happen to have this little rule memorized -- it's elementary. If it were a bit more difficult, I'd have to look it up.

BigRed

He came to die. . .your point is mute.

And what he did was sin.
1Corinthians 3:16-17
16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Jesus destroyed the Temple of his body by his actions.

""My God, my God, why have thou forsaken me?" Because you destroyed your body.

BigRed

astarath

Jesus was captured, imprisoned and tortured all by other people before He was nailed to a cross and left to die. Which part of His pain and torture was self inflicted?

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes. As a Christian, I believe that Christ fulfilled the law.

smokydot

Well, that depends on which of your misinterpretations you're talking about.
Which ones are you talking about?
For your process of death in "dying you shall die," one needs to look no farther than the simplest commentary or Hebrew grammar.
Harmonious has already spoken the truth on that, until. . .you know the rest.
Context would be the ancient Hebrew syntax. I happen to have this little rule memorized -- it's elementary. If it were a bit more difficult, I'd have to look it up.
You don't even know what context is in terms of interpreting the meaning of a verse. . .

See (5) @ http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2318652-post514.html

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

You don't even know what context is in terms of interpreting the meaning of a verse. . .

Oh, come on man, that's just silly. This is what I do for a living. I've published a scholarly article on it for Pete's sake.

smokydot

And what he did was sin.
16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

BigRed
The NT says to the contrary. . .and it is the authority for what is to be believed by the Christian.

A

angellous_evangellous

And what he did was sin.

BigRed

This is pretty weak. Essentially you're saying that because Jesus died, he sinned. Jesus was crucified by the Romans because they perceived that he was a threat. We don't know much more than that.

Harmonious already identified several other instances in the Gospels where Jesus may have sinned - not honoring his parents, for example.

BigRed

This is pretty weak. Essentially you're saying that because Jesus died, he sinned. Jesus was crucified by the Romans because they perceived that he was a threat. We don't know much more than that.

Harmonious already identified several other instances in the Gospels where Jesus may have sinned - not honoring his parents, for example.

I agree it's nebulous.
But if Jesus ARRANGED his own death at the hands of the Romans, in effect he was committing suicide by Romans. It may not be a sin but IMO it seems immoral.

I agree that Jesus sinned numerous times.
For example....
Chronologically, the first commandment by God was at Genesis 1:28.
""God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth""

This commandment is repeated several times in the Bible.....a sure sign that this is important to God. It is one of the 613 Mitzvot. [Commandments]

This commandment has been interpreted to obligate a man to marry and attempt to have children.
As far as we know, Jesus never married and never had any children. At least this is the traditional Christian view.
If Jesus never married nor had children he sinned by failing to attempt to be fruitful and multiply.

BigRed
You can ask HARMONIOUS, the resident Jewish scholar, her opinion.
I would be interested to read her opinion.

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree it's nebulous.
But if Jesus ARRANGED his own death at the hands of the Romans, in effect he was committing suicide by Romans. It may not be a sin but IMO it seems immoral.

I agree that Jesus sinned numerous times.
For example....
Chronologically, the first commandment by God was at Genesis 1:28.
""God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth""

This commandment is repeated several times in the Bible.....a sure sign that this is important to God. It is one of the 613 Mitzvot. [Commandments]

This commandment has been interpreted to obligate a man to marry and attempt to have children.
As far as we know, Jesus never married and never had any children. At least this is the traditional Christian view.
If Jesus never married nor had children he sinned by failing to attempt to be fruitful and multiply.

BigRed
You can ask HARMONIOUS, the resident Jewish scholar, her opinion.
I would be interested to read her opinion.

haha you're really grasping at straws, man.

Jesus's death at the hands of the Romans was not his arrangement. His death was due to his pacifism - he would not resist their aggression, being consistent with his interpretation of God's law.

As for not having children, perhaps he did. Who knows? Accusing him of sin based on this is even weaker than your other attempts.

Just say'in. I don't care if you think that Jesus sinned - I'm just pointing out that these points are pretty useless if you're going to try and exploit them in a debate, etc.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Dont you see a difference in creating evil at the beginning of time and then leaving it up to the free will of your creation to act how they want to?
In contrary to "orchestrating the holocaust/any genocide" in person?

:confused:

evil is an act...its not a thing, its not tangible, its doesnt exist until someone does something which IS evil.

so how could God have 'created' it?

He couldnt, and he didnt. It doesnt exist unless you or I or God perpetrates an evil act.