• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Jewish law be fulfilled?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I wonder what your basis for comparison is.

In other words, you don't think at all about the fact that your following this law connects you to God. You don't want to serve God. You just want to "do your own thing," because your personal sense of "right and wrong" keep you moral.

Good to know. Just don't try to get into any moralistic arguments with any atheists, because your argument is pretty much a matter of "I know what to do. I don't need God to let me know that I'm a good person."

While that is a perfectly valid argument, I would say that atheists don't need Jesus to be moral, either.

Nope. Atheists don't need Jesus to be moral, either.

You would make a good, moral atheist. Your argument says so.

God.

This is a gross misinterpretation on your part.

I don't know where you get your ideas from. It certainly can't be from anything that I said.

Of course an athiest can be moral but you can be sure that God had a hand in that somewhere along the line. However an atheist is not attempting to fulfill the law and the Bible makes it quite clear that he can't do so perfectly.

There you go pipe dreaming again.

Muffled

Jesus in me
[/color]No, you wouldn't. You would feel horribly burdened. You've made that abundantly clear.

Also, you are of the mind that "there is no difference between a Jew and a Gentile." So, what value is being a Jew to you?

It has no purpose, as you have stated. You get nothing out of the special covenant that God made with the Jews, involving a lot of various and sundry commandments that direct all aspects of life, ensuring that (when we do what we are supposed to) that our lives are lived in holiness.

You've made it clear you want no part in that.

Whatever.

No, not really. Good intentions are well and good, but you can also be self-deceived. (It's one of the countless Christian arguments that has been thrown at me over the years.)

Action has a lot to do with thinking and attitude. You can trust an action. Even if a good action is done for the wrong reason, good has still been done.

You don't listen very well. If I were both Christian and Jewish, I would not be burdened by having to keep the law of Moses.

This is akin to believing that all the messengers are equal (A Qu'ranic statement). Jesus still has more valuable things to say than Mohamed or Moses.

In Christianity everyone is equally under grace but that doesn't mean that God doesn't favor Jews. God will take care of needs but He hands out His favors judiciously.

That isn't the case. As Paul says the law was my tutor until I came of age. But now that I am no longer a child I put away my childish toys. However they have a fond place in my memory as well as the burden that I no longer have to carry.
Not only that but God's grace often proceeds from his law ie He has not thrown it out as useless.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Okay...

But what merit is being life altering, if you don't have a standard to follow of what you should be doing?

You have to be kidding! That is like asking "what good is it to buy a pie in a store if you have no idea what the ingredients are or how they are put together."

While you are still slaving over a pie that might not come out right because you aren't a master baker, I am enjoying mine and don't even need to go to the sky either. (An old athiestic reference to Christianity as pie in the sky by and by)