• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God be human?

God is a spirit, i know -but can he take on a physical and dwell amongst men? would I die if I see him? I don't believe I will die if I see Him.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well I don't know how well I can answer this question as I don't really believe in any god or gods per se but I do believe that there are souls out there that are more "evolved" or "older" than my own which would likely be the closest thing to a "god concept" that I have. I do believe these souls can enter into human form if they wish and have many times in order to help guide us to be a better wiser species. I call these people sages and examples of them would be people like Buddha, Jesus, Ghandi, and mother Teresa.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So far, in mythology, he has done so, as far as I know, three times:

Lord Krishna,
Christ the Messiah,
And the man Jacob (rather randomly) wrestled with.

There may have been more times.

DadBurnett

Instigator
Can God be (become) human?
I hope not!!! God transcends all of creation including human beings. Can some aspect of God be present in human beings, yes!

Andal

resident hypnotist
yes God can take the human form, he's done it countless times. He's done it in the form of Jesus, Krishna, Rama, Vamana, Parasurama, and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, to name a few.

Creation although material is not outside of the power and influence of God. There is no reason why he can't take a human form from time to time.

blackout

Violet.
What exists that is not gOd?

Are we not ALL of the very same STUFF?

Of course gOd can BEcome human.
It is so in every child born.

The question is ... can humans realize/REALize their gOdhood...
and embrace the fullness of their inheritance/inheritness of Being One.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
God is a spirit, i know -but can he take on a physical and dwell amongst men? would I die if I see him? I don't believe I will die if I see Him.

Spirit is the One substance and is That which is the All. The ineffable spirit can't be detected by denser substance for the reason of its fineness, and what is understood to be energy (light, electro-magnetic, etc..) is spirit in a compressed or denser state. Matter is even more dense as it is in turn is composed of spherical standing waves of energy.

So in this sense God is omnipresent and there is naught that exists that is not comprised of the God 'Stuff', however with the creation of man from the elements, i.e. standing waves of energy and spirit, and then in turn incarnated and animated by the spirit, then the resulting mortal consciousness and sensory apparatus gives rise to a self-consciousness, i.e. personal 'I', that creates the illusion of separateness and duality.

Of course it is impossible for man whose body awareness is local in space in temporary in time to realize G-d. No man has ever seen G-d, nor can man ever, however when the man dies and the hitherto incarnate spirit is liberated , it reunites with the universal Divine Spirit to behold (not in a visual dualistic way) the unspeakable (beyond conceptual description) glory of G-d.

Spiritual beings of a high order may sometimes incarnate among men or appear to man in circumstances that are seen as miracles by men, and though some men may call them gods, they are not the One G-d whom no living person can ever see for reasons of the limitations associated with incarnation.

averageJOE

zombie
If god took on a human form today how would we know? I don't know if I could believe someone if they told me they were god or the second coming of Christ. After all, Charels Manson's "family" believed and were convinced that he was the second coming of Christ.

The only reason why I bring that up is because if someone tried telling you that today what would be your reaction?

probaly why are you so lazy, then il use the eye of the tiger as background music to get "god" back into shape :)

AverageJoe, your point is duly noted but my response would be you know the tree by its fruits, similarly, you would know him by his works. Of course anyone can proclaim to be whomsoever, but it is by the works and divine revelation you would be able to know him. Should Jesus return tomorrow, how will you know him, what will you look for? I would look for his works, gospel and customs.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
God is a spirit, i know -but can he take on a physical and dwell amongst men?
If its part of your dogma or belief structure, then he can, to you.
Many world religions have had divine manifestations in the form of human beings. the Greek gods took human forms when they came down from Mt. Olympus to bear a message to a human protagonist or to communicate with them.
eastern philosophies speak of Avatars, or reincarnations of supreme beings into human persona.
Christians believe that Jesus is God incarnate.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are some people who say "The Angel of the Lord" was God in human form. I am not sure I believe that, but some people do believe it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There are some people who say "The Angel of the Lord" was God in human form. I am not sure I believe that, but some people do believe it.

True. Jacob called the place where he wrestled with the Angel 'Peniel' (also written Penuel in English) or פני אל (Hebrew), meaning 'face of God'.

And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved

~Genesis

Jeremiah

AverageJoe, your point is duly noted but my response would be you know the tree by its fruits, similarly, you would know him by his works. Of course anyone can proclaim to be whomsoever, but it is by the works and divine revelation you would be able to know him. Should Jesus return tomorrow, how will you know him, what will you look for? I would look for his works, gospel and customs.

HouseofIsreal, how do you know this? Have you ever seen "God" in the flesh?

logician

According to many religions, god has taken human form, although why some god would want to is beyond me.