• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels?

David1967

Premium Member
Eventually it will have to as fossil fuel is finite. However due to the powers that be making such huge profits from fossil fuel, regardless of the pollution from it, I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To an increasing extent over time.

How's that for a daring proclamation!
Anyway, we face big federal & local taxation barriers to green energy.
Lobby your politicians to remove tax barriers....
- Not allowing businesses to expense green energy improvements
- Raising property taxes for solar panels

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To an increasing extent over time.

How's that for a daring proclamation!
Anyway, we face big federal & local taxation barriers to green energy.
Lobby your politicians to remove tax barriers....
- Not allowing businesses to expense green energy improvements
- Raising property taxes for solar panels

How much of this do you think is due to oil sector lobbying?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How much of this do you think is due to oil sector lobbying?
Very little.
In the case of property taxation, it's about cities (who aren't lobbied by oil businesses) wringing every
possible dollar from us. The fed also wants to gouge us as much as possible, so if I replace thousands
of dollars of fluorescent bulbs with LED ones, they want me to depreciate them over several decades.

Kirran

Premium Member
I don't see why not.

upload_2017-2-6_15-12-15.png

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Very little.
In the case of property taxation, it's about cities (who aren't lobbied by oil businesses) wringing every
possible dollar from us. The fed also wants to gouge us as much as possible, so if I replace thousands
of dollars of fluorescent bulbs with LED ones, they want me to depreciate them over several decades.
Thanks. I don't think we Canuckistanians face the same local hassles, but maybe we do in some cities. This topic came up a lot on Kauai where I was recently, and there was some law passed to stop homeowners with solar panels from selling to the grid. There the new energy is about fast growing trees, and burning them quite cleanly, replacing the diesel generators that have provided power for a very long time.

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks. I don't think we Canuckistanians face the same local hassles, but maybe we do in some cities. This topic came up a lot on Kauai where I was recently, and there was some law passed to stop homeowners with solar panels from selling to the grid. There the new energy is about fast growing trees, and burning them quite cleanly, replacing the diesel generators that have provided power for a very long time.

SV processes a lot of the cooking oil that gets offered into biodiesel.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
100% is unlikely, but the more compliance with using fossil fuels the better. It need not be looked as as a zero-sum game.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Selling electricity to the power companies is a tricky issue.
That's something I wouldn't require them to buy it....for now.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Energy production and distribution from centralized distribution centers has been a profitable industry for a century or more. These energy monopolies aren't going to give up without a fight. They see the writing on the wall, and they're determined to wring as much profit as they can out of the system before the collapse. They're attempting to put as many legislative stumbling blocks as possible in the path of the inevitable.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Utilizing current technologies, at current costs, at current energy usage levels for large, developed countries, no.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Energy production and distribution from centralized distribution centers has been a profitable industry for a century or more. These energy monopolies aren't going to give up without a fight. They see the writing on the wall, and they're determined to wring as much profit as they can out of the system before the collapse. They're attempting to put as many legislative stumbling blocks as possible in the path of the inevitable.
I also favor more decentralized energy production & distribution for military reasons.