• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions settle their diffrences?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Then you don't aprove of true democracy?

I love the ideal. However, I do not believe it would work in practice.

Here's a good quote that summarizes how I view democracy: (don't know who said it; I heard it from the PC game Civilization IV. lol)

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."

Because, the fighting is for other reasons that aren't religious. Jews fight Arabs because Arabs kill Jewish people. Arabs fight Jews because Arabs believe they are defending their land.

It has little to do with religion, but with actions.

Also, who is to say that the 3 religions do not come together to speak against the violence? My understanding is that they do. The fact that the media doesn't offer as much time to those who speak peace as opposed to those who speak violence doesn't mean that there aren't those who speak for peace.

Your last paragraph, well that's the point it seems. I'm unaware of it and most people I know would be. I'm glad to hear it though. You seem to have experienced it first hand?

Those differencies are due to people among we live rather than location. When you are born you are just a child, you are not from the clear water-the Muslim child or Jew child.
And I answered generally why I do not think that religions could cooperate. And you have a right not to agree with me.;)
This short paragraph about Devil was just an idea. Nothing serious.
I think that fanaticism is not product of being push down the way that when they will kill someone in the name of Holy Truth, they will be honoured by Allah for the protection of their beliefs and the only right truth.
Wars are terrible. But I do not see a way to avoid them. When they are, so it is propably a part of our life in a universe and it has some purpose.
I think that there will be always a purpose to fight over something. Food, medicine, weapons, countryside, power, etc.
And religion is just put in the ring when there is nothing another.

lol, I can agree with you too, wink. I think as things stand then you are right about things always going to be this way. That's why I suggest something has to change and the change has to come from the people.
Don't you really believe that where you are born and the influences around you don't impact on you?

I love the ideal. However, I do not believe it would work in practice.

Here's a good quote that summarizes how I view democracy: (don't know who said it; I heard it from the PC game Civilization IV. lol)

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."

lol, so it's the best of a bad bunch? Hey, we are heading in the right direction. :clap

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Don't you really believe that where you are born and the influences around you don't impact on you?

I know you aren't asking me, but I guarantee that if I had grown up in a fundamentalist Christian household, I would now be a fundamentalist Christian.

If I were to thank God for anything, that would be one of the first things I'd thank him for: putting me in an agnostic household.

Harmonious

Now if you believed the press you'd think Jews, Muslims and christians hated each other. So basically what you are saying it that a normal congregation of Jews are no diffrent from a normal congregation of chistians. Because I know ordinary christians would have no issues with Jews. I think the press is whipping up some bad feelings towards muslims.
Pretty much. And some things that the radicals do to shame their coreligionists...
By the way I live in Britain and this is the current state of things here.
Very cool.
The place you mentioned, Ma'arat, in Chevron, where is this?
The Burial Cave of Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob, and Leah, in Hebron. There is a mosque built above the cave.
So would a muslim be ok to enter a synagog the way you would a mosque.
I don't see why not. We Jews don't have any images that would offend Muslim sensibilities. However, I'm not sure about what a Muslim would say about the matter.
Would they have the same reluctance to enter a church?
Almost definitely.

I know you aren't asking me, but I guarantee that if I had grown up in a fundamentalist Christian household, I would now be a fundamentalist Christian.

If I were to thank God for anything, that would be one of the first things I'd thank him for: putting me in an agnostic household.

Yeah, i'd have to second that. You can grow out of it but really hard if you have had a strict upbringing in anything.

Pretty much. And some things that the radicals do to shame their coreligionists...
Very cool.
The Burial Cave of Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob, and Leah, in Hebron. There is a mosque built above the cave.
I don't see why not. We Jews don't have any images that would offend Muslim sensibilities. However, I'm not sure about what a Muslim would say about the matter.
Almost definitely.

Your last reply, is this again just because of the symbols? Is there a way around this? (Not that there has to be.)

lol, I can agree with you too, wink. I think as things stand then you are right about things always going to be this way. That's why I suggest something has to change and the change has to come from the people.

But you also know that people mostly are starting to worry about what can happen too late. Until the real disaster comes.
Everyone likes more to hear good news and that everything will be okay, that an earthquake will not kill you because it is too far away.Then it comes and you are too late.
I meant that when you are born, you are a child. You are a child of Muslims, but you are not a Muslim child and that you cannot change your religion, because you were once born as Muslim.:eek:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
That's a parable? I thought it was just a cool poem!

You learn something every day.

Yes you do. ^_^

Reading the Wiki article that Storm posted, it seems that the origin of the parable is uncertain.

However, it's likely either Buddhist or Hindu.

Harmonious

Your last reply, is this again just because of the symbols? Is there a way around this? (Not that there has to be.)
Part of it is the symbols. Part of it is the idea that most (but not all) Christians believe that Jesus is God. As such, this is considered idolatry, and the church wherein this is the belief is forbidden, both by Jews, and by Muslims.

I think a Kingdom Hall or a Quaker Friendship Circle would be less problematic than many others. I once attended a Unitarian Universalist service. (It still makes me scratch my head at what I saw, but that might have been more of a local problem than anything.) A UUA minister married my Jewish sister to her Catholic husband, and my mother and I were curious what a UUA service consisted of.

My sister is enthralled by her local UUA congregation, so it must be much more educationally useful than the service my mother and I attended.