• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a literal Genesis creation story really hold up?

outhouse

Atheistically
Exodus at ~1406 BC, Joseph and the entrance into Egypt at ~1625 BC, the Birth of Abraham at 1915 BC, and Noah's flood at ~2,980 BC. These numbers fit history much better

have you ever picked up a real history book?

Factually, none of those dates fit any part of history at all, because this mythology never happened ever.

Israelites evolved from displaced Canaanites after 1200 BC, and nothing factually exist prior to this time period.

We have the Merneptah stele to 1209 BC and that is it, and at that time every credible scholar that has studied this claims they were only proto Israelites at this time

Thanks for playing but you fail before you started :facepalm:

outhouse

Atheistically
Ohalo has more evidence in support then your position by age alone, the difference is I know neither have any connection.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No one was "first", factually first to worship the 4 or 5 gods Israelites worshipped in the beginning when parts of genesis were in oral tradition.

That is flat refusing to accept facts out of severe ignorance.

being the one god concept did not even take hold as orthodox in Judaism until roughly 200-400 BC

That's about a 1000 years of multiple gods, not one god.

Regression....open your mind....yes you can.....THINK!
Someone had to be first.

How about a name?

gnostic

The Lost One
greentwiga said:
Well, you are basing your conclusions on the Masoretic text. Look at the Septuagint text. The septuagint was translated from a Hebrew text much earlier than the Hebrew text we have. It puts the Exodus at ~1406 BC, Joseph and the entrance into Egypt at ~1625 BC, the Birth of Abraham at 1915 BC, and Noah's flood at ~2,980 BC. These numbers fit history much better than the Masoretic text numbers. It looks like someone, after the Septuagint was translated, tried to correct the numbers.

I grant you that the Septuagint puts Adam about 5,500 to 6,000 BC, not 4,000 BC of the Masoretic text, or the 9,000 BC I have suggested. I am researching the numbers to see what I can find. I have theories, but I don't trust my theories. My only point is that is there is some problem with the numbers, which seem the most likely to change, then we should look at all the other clues. They fit the end of the Younger Dryas, ~9,000 BC.

Yes, I know about the Septuagint, but even with the timeline as given in the Septuagint, as you have already said, it only amount to 5500 BCE at most. That's not 9000 BCE; so it is still off by 3500 years.

There are huge difference between several hundred years to several thousand years. And the Septuagint still don't match with that of your 9000 BCE.

And I don't believe that the timeline of Septuagint is any more accurate HISTORICALLY than the timeline from the Masoretic Text.

greentwiga said:
Well, you are basing your conclusions on the Masoretic text. Look at the Septuagint text. The septuagint was translated from a Hebrew text much earlier than the Hebrew text we have.

True, the Septuagint is older than the Masoretic Text (MT).

But you are forgetting one thing: the Dead Sea Scrolls.

However, the Septuagint is still a translation of the original Hebrew sources. Second, we have the Dead Sea Scrolls (DDS). Third, just because the Greek Septuagint is older, it doesn't mean the list of years (in the genealogy) accurate or the original ones. And you have to consider that the not all figures in Septuagint manuscripts (eg Vaticanus and Alexandrian codices) match each other (especially the Genesis genealogy); so there are inconsistencies with numbers (like years), when you compare the Greek sources.

In the Genesis, we only have the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint that give us two complete timelines. While in the DSS, the timeline of Genesis genealogy is not complete. The DSS only give us only 2 extant verses.

So I will give 2 passages to that same verse with that DSS verses:

Genesis 5:13-14 said:
13 καὶ ἔζησεν Καιναν μετὰ τὸ γεννῆσαι αὐτὸν τὸν Μαλελεηλ ἑπτακόσια καὶ τεσσαράκοντα ἔτη καὶ ἐγέννησεν υἱοὺς καὶ θυγατέρας
14 καὶ ἐγένοντο πᾶσαι αἱ ἡμέραι Καιναν ἐννακόσια καὶ δέκα ἔτη καὶ ἀπέθανεν
LXX Septuagint​

13 And Cainan lived after his begetting Maleleel, seven hundred and forty years, and he begot sons and daughters.
14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.
Translation by Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton 1851​
(Note that the Brenton's translation is based on the Alexandrian Codex (manuscript).
13 וַיְחִ֣י קֵינָ֗ן אַחֲרֵי֙ הֹולִידֹ֣ו אֶת־מַֽהֲלַלְאֵ֔ל אַרְבָּעִ֣ים שָׁנָ֔ה וּשְׁמֹנֶ֥ה מֵאֹ֖ות שָׁנָ֑ה וַיֹּ֥ולֶד בָּנִ֖ים וּבָנֹֽות׃
14 וַיִּֽהְיוּ֙ כָּל־יְמֵ֣י קֵינָ֔ן עֶ֣שֶׂר שָׁנִ֔ים וּתְשַׁ֥ע מֵאֹ֖ות שָׁנָ֑ה וַיָּמֹֽת׃
Masoretic Text, Westminister Leningrad Codex (WLC)​

13 After the birth of Mahalalel, Kenan lived 840 years and begot sons and daughters.
14 All the days of Kenan came to 910 years; then he died.
New Jewish Publication Society (NJPS, 1985)​
[13 And] Kenan [lived eight hundred and forty years after he became the father of Mahalalel, and had other sons and daughters.
14 So all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.]
The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, 2012
Abegg, Flint & Ulrich​
As you can see, the Greek source, say that Kenan (Cainan) lived another 740 years (at age 170), after the birth of his son Mahalalel (Maleleel). While the Hebrew sources (both MT & DSS) say that Kenan lived another 840 years, after the birth of his son, hence at age 70.

The DSS may not be as old as the Septuagint, it is only a century or two younger than the Septuagint.

If DSS's Genesis 5:13-14 has the same years as the Masoretic Text, then it more than possible that the Hebrew sources (for the genealogy or chronicle) match in other passages.

When it come to years or other numbers, the Dead Sea Scrolls seemed to match the Masoretic Text more than the Septuagint.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
greentwiga said:
It puts the Exodus at ~1406 BC

There are several problems with this estimate date, which used the Septuagint.

This date (c 1406 BCE) would put in the reign of Amenhotep II (reign 1425-1398 BCE) of the 18th Dynasty (1549-1292 BCE).

The city mentioned in Exodus, Rameses, which is known as Pi-Ramesses ("House of Ramesses). This Pi-Ramesses didn't exist in the time of Amenhotep II; in fact, it didn't exist in any time of the 18th Dynasty. The city (Pi-Ramesses) was built during the reign of Ramesses II (1279-1213 BCE) of the 19th Dynasty (1292-1189 BCE) and it was named after this king.

This prove that the bible, especially the Exodus is not a history book, regardless if you use the Greek Septuagint or the Hebrew Masoretic Text.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Another problem with Genesis vs Truth and Science is the problem of the idea of humans created from dust/dirt/clay whatever.

God must've rather ineffective and dumb doing that.

Consider that most of our body consist of amino acids, fatty acids, proteins, and other carbon-oxygen-hydrogen chains with nitrogen, phosphorous, etc.

Extracting all those from tons and tons of dirt to get enough of one or the other instead of just killing a few animals and extract all the necessary amino-acids right there, right then.

As a God, I would rather go the straight path of taking the parts that I already had (animals and plants) to mold the human, instead of trying to extract elementary particles from dust.

Last edited:

greentwiga

And its sloppy, poor, and pathetic work based on your imagination.

Ohalo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ohalo is the common designation for the archaeological site Ohalo II in the vicinity of the Sea of Galilee, and one of the best preserved hunter-gatherer archaeological sites of the Last Glacial Maximum, having been radiocarbon dated to around 19,400 BP.[1] The site is significant because of the numerous fruit and cereal grain remains preserved therein, (intact ancient plant remains being exceedingly rare finds due to their quick decomposition).

It is well documented that the people who lived prior to the Younger Dryas developed a gatherer lifestyle. The number of Gatherer villages kept growing until about 10,000 BC. Then the mega-drought of the Younger Dryas hit and the villages disappeared. They developed the technology to harvest wild wheat and other wild plants. They had sickles out of things like antlers with flint chips. They did not plant wheat and did not have tools to plow the field. It is well documented that the farming package with domesticated plants that required cultivating the soil and planting the seeds did not arise until after the younger Dryas. Try Graeme Barker (25 March 2009). The Agricultural Revolution in Prehistory: Why did Foragers become Farmers?
. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-955995-4. Retrieved 15 August 2012.

outhouse

Atheistically
It is well documented that the people who lived prior to the Younger Dryas developed a gatherer lifestyle.

Your being rather pathetic here.

I posted that Adam was cursed to eat bread by the sweat of his brow.

Which says nothing about Adam starting agriculture does it??????????

It actually states he gathered to survive in the garden, more or less, does it not??????????

And if given time, I can use my imagination like you and find 20 more sites that semi match the mythology YOU CANNOT SUBSTANTIATE :slap:

Ohalo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ohalo is the common designation for the archaeological site Ohalo II in the vicinity of the Sea of Galilee, and one of the best preserved hunter-gatherer archaeological sites of the Last Glacial Maximum, having been radiocarbon dated to around 19,400 BP.[1] The site is significant because of the numerous fruit and cereal grain remains preserved therein, (intact ancient plant remains being exceedingly rare finds due to their quick decomposition).

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Another problem with Genesis vs Truth and Science is the problem of the idea of humans created from dust/dirt/clay whatever.

God must've rather ineffective and dumb doing that.

Consider that most of our body consist of amino acids, fatty acids, proteins, and other carbon-oxygen-hydrogen chains with nitrogen, phosphorous, etc.

Extracting all those from tons and tons of dirt to get enough of one or the other instead of just killing a few animals and extract all the necessary amino-acids right there, right then.

As a God, I would rather go the straight path of taking the parts that I already had (animals and plants) to mold the human, instead of trying to extract elementary particles from dust.

You are made of dust.
It was never a statement pertaining to Adam alone.

A straight path....did you say?
As in selecting a specimen and manipulating THAT item to be something 'more'.

jidex

So many things don't add up in Genesis. Like the Sun and stars, not only were they created after the Earth, but created after plants? But then, I was wondering; Adam gets kicked out of Eden and has to till the soil? This is based on Gen 4:23 and 4:2 where Adam is sent out to "cultivate" the ground and his son Cain was a "tiller" of the ground. What did they till it with? Did God make them a plow and a hoe or something? And then Abel, why was he keeping flocks? Weren't they vegetarians? Was it for wool? Did God make Eve a loom and Abel some shears?

I see Genesis as religious poetry, but some Christians, and I guess some Jews, see it as literal. Ken Ham on his TV show Answers in Genesis, insists that it must be taken literal, that it is foundational, without it the whole of the Bible falls. What do you think.

It is lieterally real
its only your perspective that has changed
God has no reason to lie
He is afterall the same yesterday , today and evermore

outhouse

Atheistically
It is lieterally real
its only your perspective that has changed
God has no reason to lie

Im not sure you have a clue about what is considered history here.

God never wrote a word, so how could he lie?

He is afterall the same yesterday , today and evermore

Factually wrong. What you call god has been factually evolving for thousands of years.

greentwiga

have you ever picked up a real history book?

Factually, none of those dates fit any part of history at all, because this mythology never happened ever.

Israelites evolved from displaced Canaanites after 1200 BC, and nothing factually exist prior to this time period.

We have the Merneptah stele to 1209 BC and that is it, and at that time every credible scholar that has studied this claims they were only proto Israelites at this time

Thanks for playing but you fail before you started :facepalm:

Have you read any real history books? I have studied scholars on Sumer and pre Sumerian histories. I have followed the anthropological developments as people dig in ancient sites such as Cayonu. I look at ideas such as the distribution of "Mother Goddess" figurines. You start with the assumption that this is myth and would not change your mind no matter what the scientists might discover. I develop theories and discard them as I read some new study. Debate the points I brought up rather than closing your mind to anything that disagrees with you.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Israelites evolved from displaced Canaanites after 1200 BC

You will have to deal with this fact

Noah had 3 sons. Shem, Ham & Japheth.

Canaan was the son of Ham. His descendants were called 'canaanites'

But Isreal (also known as Jacob) was a son of Abraham who was born from Seth.
So the Isrealites are NOT Canaanites. They are related to Canaanites but are not direct descendants of Canaan so its not possible that they 'evolved' from them.