• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Buddhist believe in God?

apophenia

I can see what you mean. I was thinking that believing that your alarm clock will go off at the appointed time when you set it would be a healthy belief to hold, as it would allow you to sleep soundly. However, I can see your point that it would be the craving of certainty about your alarm clock going off that would keep you from sleeping soundly. :yes:

{Or would that be clinging to uncertainty? :confused: }

We could probably split this hair finer ... :D

This highlights the difference between 'visualising an intention' and 'accepting a proposition as true', both of which can be called 'belief'.

" At last ! I've overstood ! This is a wordy rappinghood !" - Tom Tom Club

Thank you Krill the Unwashed. Two superior posts in my opinion. You're one of the best contributors I've seen on Religious Forums. Please stick around.

A couple more questions though. Where have you lived in your life and what is your ethnicity. I think you've said Thai ethnicity but something else you said made me not so clear. How did you attain such an excellent command of English?

What would you say would be the appeal of Buddhism for people with no belief in any form of life after death? i.e. versus not bothering with any discipline

Thank you G-A! I'll stick around :)

Ethnically my family is mixed with Thai & Chinese (Taiwanese to be specific, Hokkien to be even more specific!) But they lived in a province of Thailand which was captured by Thailand from Cambodia in about 1400 AD-ish. In the 60s-70s when Thailand wanted to join the UN, the UN forced Thailand to give this province back to the Khmer people or they can't join. So Thailand did, and my mother and her siblings were all born during the time when the province was a part of Cambodia, so they grew up only speaking Khmer and no Thai or Chinese. My grandparents and mom, aunts and uncles came here to America in the 80's.

I was actually born and raised in California. So I grew up speaking English, and hearing Khmer spoken by my mother, aunts, and uncles. So I speak only English as a first language, I understand and speak some Khmer. I like to spend my free time reading books on philosophy and other religions and about science, so I pick up a whole host of new words I end up using in trying to explain things to people. I like having a large vocabulary at my disposal because it makes expressing and articulating my ideas more precise. Some words just have more precision power than others. And the more precise your words are, the more effective your communication is. The more effective your communication, the better others around you will understand what you are trying to say :) I prefer to communicate and share ideas rather than debate and get into these fights about who is right or wrong. One is more productive than the other.

I think your question has a few complex answers. What is the appeal people with no belief in an afterlife have with Buddhism? As opposed to just being secular like everybody else?

All my answers are personal answers and are not in any way "Buddhistic."

My first answer is that perhaps Buddhism has certain qualities which resonates with such types that have no belief in an afterlife.

Usually when we speak of people in the West with no belief in an afterlife, we are referring to the bi-product of a cultural/social phenomenon. The society in question would be Western, and the Culture would be "European," or "Old World."

In that Western/European culture the old time weltaschauung of the West is founded on Christian priciples and Christian beliefsets. So it's within that cultural matrix that the types of people you speak of come into being.

These people usually come into being by having an inner nature to reject that weltanschauung - worldview/world-model - and they are types who would question Christian ideals, doctrines, and world views.

So the first answer is that Buddhism has aspects that do appeal to such types inner character. For example critical Thinking was first developed and used by the Buddha. A rational approach to coming to an understanding of our world and self is an inherent "property" of Buddhism. In Mahayana (Chan Buddhism) it is said that the stronger your doubt and skepticism is, the greater your enlightenment :) So, I don't see it as any surprise that types of people who challenge and question the dominant worldview and belief system of their culture would be drawn to Buddhism, in this respect.

Second answer would be that perhaps Buddhism offers some people who do not believe in any type of afterlife "Sanctuary?"

By that I mean that people who believe in a heaven have Christianity to seek refuge and sanctuary in where their worldviews and beliefs are safe. people who believe in paradise and 72 naked virgins have Islam as their Sanctuary :)

But the emerging body of people who are now skeptical, doubtful about, who question "old world" worldviews don't have a psychological sanctuary for their worldviews and beliefs. Buddhism might offer them such psychological sanctuary.

Third answer is Human Nature. Perhaps some people who are materialists and lack a belief in an afterlife - like all primates - need a tribe or troop or group to belong to. belong to here doesn't necessarily mean a physical belonging of close proximity. More of a psychological belonging. Where the person can feel they belong to something when they say: "I am a Buddhist." You don't get that same feel of belonging to something when you say: "I am a Secularist!"

Belief is a tricky word in Buddhism. Just like it is a tricky word in science. The objective of science is to basically come to an Understanding (Buddhi) of the Natural World of Phenomena, by observing, hypothesizing, testing, and so on. Once we gain an understanding of an aspect of our reality, it is no longer a matter of "belief."

For example, we don't have to believe that the world is round, we just know it, based on our Understanding of how our world is today. We also don't have to believe in things like the existence of the moon and sun, because they are obviously there in the sky. It's not a matter of belief. We don't say we believe in the theory of gravity. We just know gravity works! Belief doesn't fit in sciences. And it doesn't fit into Buddhism either.

The very word "believe" has the shadow meaning of clinging to something emotively. The word "Be-Lieve" comes from the old Germanic word "Ge-Lieben" which meant to "Be-Love." In other words, what we "believe" in, we "belove," or behold with emotion and passion. And it's this very "beholdment" - this clinging or craving emotively - that the Buddha says is the cause of suffering. You may ask: "How so?" I'll explain:

In 500 BC in India, you have a dominant religion called Brahmanism, in which human beings were separated into castes. You had the Brahmins up at the top and the lowly Sudras at the bottom.

So in that cultural matrix, it was taught that because of karma, you earned your lot in life, and that if you perform your castely duties, you may be reborn in the next life in a better caste. This is all great. But this cause a lot of misery and suffering for the sudras, who were treated badly. And so who is at fault for that suffering? The Brahminical system or the belief the sudras put into the system? The answer is both. It takes two to tango as they say.

Belief in god and the belief that god does not exist... the belief in rebirth and the belief that rebirth is not real are all beliefsets. They are things we can't prove either way, but we hold onto them - behold them, belove them - due to a passion, a conviction, a clinging... an attachment. It causes Dukkha, inner anguish, upsets us when other challenges our beliefs, we get angry... and in many cases we kill over disagreements in beliefs. Shi'ites versus Sunni. Catholic versus Protestants. Radical Islam versus everyone, and so on.

In Buddhism, one doesn't try to believe in something. It's like science. One tries instead to come to an understanding of the dharma/tao/way of the Natural World of Phenomena. And when we do come to that understanding (Buddhi) it no longer is a matter of belief, or faith. Not to believe in god or rebirth and not to believe such don't exist... but to try to come to an understanding (Buddhi) of them in some way, and to try to understand how they, if such exists, fits in with the rest of the Phenomenal World.

I personally don't like Materialism - the worldview - because its minimalistic in nature, and its prone to conviction. Thinking stops with conviction, because our minds become "convicts" of our own beliefs.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
As a general observation, Buddhism isn't inherently atheistic ( non-theist is closer ), but many western converts to Buddhism are atheists.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
I've read a few pages of this thread and surprised I haven't seen the following:

Buddha took an agnostic position on the question of whether or not a supreme Diety/God exists, because he felt that the answer to such a question is not necessary for nirvana/liberation/ultimate fulfillment. Thus the question of God did not concern him that much.

Buddhism encourages you to be true to your authentic Buddha nature (analogously you could think of this as your "divine image"), to embrace and accept your innate clean, pure, peaceful and full Buddha nature which is accessible at every moment... if you feel like belief in God is a natural part of this, then how could anyone tell you that you're wrong? However, if you were to ask if Buddhist philosophy encourages belief in God, I think the honest answer is neither "yes" nor "no" but rather to not grasp or cling to ideas. Grasping, clinging, and becoming attached to the idea of God can bring a lot of anxiety (although for some it brings a sense of immense fulfillment), but Buddhism would seem to assert that such grasping for God is not necessary in finding true inner peace and fulfillment.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I've read a few pages of this thread and surprised I haven't seen the following:

Buddha took an agnostic position on the question of whether or not a supreme Diety/God exists, because he felt that the answer to such a question is not necessary for nirvana/liberation/ultimate fulfillment. Thus the question of God did not concern him that much.
Depending on what scriptures you believe, this is debatable.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Depending on what scriptures you believe, this is debatable.

I haven't studied Buddhist scriptures, but in all "general overviews of Buddhism" type of books I've read, I've yet to read anything that suggests otherwise.

Would you be able to point me to some sources that suggest Buddha did not take an agnostic position on God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is the view (supported by some Suttas IIRC) that it is actually counter-productive to even bother with the matter of existence of God at all, even to seek agnosticism.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I haven't studied Buddhist scriptures, but in all "general overviews of Buddhism" type of books I've read, I've yet to read anything that suggests otherwise.

Would you be able to point me to some sources that suggest Buddha did not take an agnostic position on God?

Taken from the first page of this thread:

A supreme creator god? Doesn't work.

Any number of created benevolent god concepts? Sure.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2107114-post1.html

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

As a general observation, Buddhism isn't inherently atheistic ( non-theist is closer ),

with this I whole heartedly agree

but many western converts to Buddhism are atheists.
I think it is also safe to say that the atheistic leaning in many westerners was there before their discovery of buddhism . many westerners that I have met like the non theistic nature of buddhism and mistake the non theistic attitude for atheism .
in my mind this is incorect . Atheism is the antithisis of theism buddhism concerns it self with neither .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

thank you , it is refreshing to read your observations ,

this is very much the impression I have come away with

Buddhism encourages you to be true to your authentic Buddha nature (analogously you could think of this as your "divine image"), to embrace and accept your innate clean, pure, peaceful and full Buddha nature which is accessible at every moment... if you feel like belief in God is a natural part of this, then how could anyone tell you that you're wrong?

:namaste

However, if you were to ask if Buddhist philosophy encourages belief in God, I think the honest answer is neither "yes" nor "no" but rather to not grasp or cling to ideas. Grasping, clinging, and becoming attached to the idea of God can bring a lot of anxiety (although for some it brings a sense of immense fulfillment), but Buddhism would seem to assert that such grasping for God is not necessary in finding true inner peace and fulfillment.

yes certainly it would discourage blind grasping , but no where have I seen it discourage the ''immense fullfilment '' you refer to , ....such immense fulfillment is blissfull knowledge and is part of the enlightenment process , there fore it is buddhi

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I think it is also safe to say that the atheistic leaning in many westerners was there before their discovery of buddhism . many westerners that I have met like the non theistic nature of buddhism and mistake the non-theistic attitude for atheism .
in my mind this is incorrect . Atheism is the antithisis of theism buddhism concerns it self with neither .

Yes, I agree. Atheists are drawn to Buddhism because it's non-theistic. Unfortunately some of them want to impose an entirely secular interpretation on Buddhist teachings, which is also missing the point.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, I agree. Atheists are drawn to Buddhism because it's non-theistic. Unfortunately some of them want to impose an entirely secular interpretation on Buddhist teachings, which is also missing the point.

Is it? I would like to see some elaboration on how or why.

For all we know the Tathagata was a fierce secularist, using the language that his culture allowed him to.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

Is it? I would like to see some elaboration on how or why.

For all we know the Tathagata was a fierce secularist, using the language that his culture allowed him to.
First of all, what do you mean by "secularist?" If you mean the separation of religion from secular government, then yes, Buddha was a fierce secularist--even to the point of not allowing monks/nuns to perform weddings (which is considered a wholly secular affair.) Buddha also told the monks not to discuss politics at their gatherings--it was to be either dhamma talk or noble silence at gatherings. (Suttas and vinaya rules available upon request.)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
If you have the material ready, sure, please share it with us. :)

Rājā Sutta: Kings

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Sāvatthī at Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's monastery. And on that occasion a large number of monks, after the meal, on returning from their alms round, were sitting gathered together in the assembly hall when this discussion arose: "Friends, which of these two kings has greater wealth, greater possessions, the greater treasury, the larger realm, the greater stock of riding animals, the greater army, greater power, greater might: King Seniya Bimbisāra of Magadha or King Pasenadi of Kosala?" And this discussion came to no conclusion.

Then the Blessed One, emerging from his seclusion in the late afternoon, went to the assembly hall and, on arrival, sat down on a seat laid out. Seated, he addressed the monks: "For what topic are you sitting together here? And what was the discussion that came to no conclusion?"

"Just now, lord, after the meal, on returning from our alms round, we were sitting gathered here at the assembly hall when this discussion arose: 'Friends, which of these two kings has greater wealth, greater possessions, the greater treasury, the larger realm, the greater stock of riding animals, the greater army, greater power, greater might: King Seniya Bimbisāra of Magadha or King Pasenadi of Kosala?' This was the discussion that had come to no conclusion when the Blessed One arrived."

"It isn't proper, monks, that sons of good families, on having gone forth out of faith from home to the homeless life, should talk on such a topic. When you have gathered you have two duties: either Dhamma-talk or noble silence."[1]

The Bhikkhus' Rules: A Guide for Laypeople

notes from the vinaya rules:

The major issue today seems more to center around divorce and the breakdown of marriage rather than arranging marriages. However one should note how these affairs can involve the bhikkhu and how he should guard against becoming too drawn in. (It is also noteworthy that this is considered one of the most serious offences.)

Ven. Udaayin caused this rule to be set down because he involved himself in arranging many marriages and liaisons. When some of these failed, they blamed him for the failure. The offence is summarized:

"Should any bhikkhu engage in conveying a man's intentions to a woman or a woman's intentions to a man, proposing marriage or paramourage — even if only for a momentary liaison — it entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community."(Sa"ngh. 5; BMC p.117)

A bhikkhu should not officiate at weddings,[48] except perhaps to chant a blessing afterwards and encourage the newly married couple to lead virtuous and faithful lives together based in generosity, virtue and meditation. He also has to be circumspect when counselling couples. (There is no offence in reconciling a married but estranged couple as long as they are not yet divorced.)

48."It is mainly as a result of this guideline that bhikkhus do not perform marriage ceremonies, that is, a bhikkhu should not in any way be instrumental in actually formalizing the relationship. There is, however, no fault in blessing the couple after they are formally married or in reconciling an undivorced couple who have separated (Vin.III.144)." (HS ch.13)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram spiny norman :namaste

my observations exactly :namaste

there sees to be some missunderstanding as to the meaning of secular , secular is that which has no conection with religion , secular is that which pertains to the state and to the laws and conventions of society . (and in modern inturpretation conventions of humanity)
quote Crossfire ...
First of all, what do you mean by "secularist?" If you mean the separation of religion from secular government, then yes, Buddha was a fierce secularist--even to the point of not allowing monks/nuns to perform weddings (which is considered a wholly secular affair.) Buddha also told the monks not to discuss politics at their gatherings--it was to be either dhamma talk or noble silence at gatherings. (Suttas and vinaya rules available upon request.)

the seeing of the need for the seperation of monastic orders from state affairs does not make Buddha a secularist , he is drawing the line between secular concerns and the concerns of the monastic orders . which makes Buddha a feirce monasticist , (if there is such a word ) , he was saying let monks follow their religious practices and let secular society preform its own secular rites , he is saying that a monk should turn his attentions to the attainment of liberation .

secular life is that which pertains to society and according to modern thought and inturpretation this seems to encompas humanist ideology , however Buddha's monastacism concerned it self with renunciation , one is a life of attatchment and the other of detatchment they canot be interchangable .

the new western take on Buddhism tries to do exactly this it was the intervention of western interlectual thought , the likes of jack kornfield who felt that buddhism should be striped of its ritual and traditional aspects . thus abandoning the monastic culture in favor of an interlectual approach to enlightenment , the result here is the bluring of the boundarys laied down by the Buddha in this way Buddhism has become secularised and with this new secularism has come an acceptance of ideas alien to the Buddhism of the Buddha .

to me this is the contradiction , atheism belongs to the theistic world , in that atheism is a reaction to theism , and has become increasingly stronger in the west over the past century where there has been an abandonment of christianity and christian values , Buddhism in its natural state is not overtly theistic and as such canot be atheistic but as we have said before it is non theistic , it attatches to neither extreme .

to bring Atheism into Buddhism is akin to cultural bagage being brought in with the converts , they take on Buddhism because there are obvious benifits and attractions , but the cultural trapings of the society which thet are reacting against is brought into the new philosophy as they are unable to let go of their conditioning .

However in time there must be some realisation , Buddhism isnt a cool club for interlectual debate it is a quiet place for meditation , it is not a place to bring the ego , but a place to trancend it . its nothingness is an absence of craving , an absence of all conditioning and attatchment's .

its nothingness is fullness of knowledge , ...''Buddhi''

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheism is not a "reaction to theism"; it is just a refusal to submit to it.

There is an important difference, in that for many people it simply is. It is a very natural state and should not be attacked for that.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Atheism is not a "reaction to theism"; it is just a refusal to submit to it.

refusal is a reaction !

There is an important difference, in that for many people it simply is. It is a very natural state and should not be attacked for that.

surely the natural state is non theism ?

no one is attacking , spiny norman and I are discussing the origins of secular Buddhism .

the whole premis of the Buddha's Buddhism is non attatchment .