• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a bahai be a best man?

Adib

Lover of World Religions
"In some countries a godfather or godmother is regarded by most people simply as a good friend of the family who sends gifts to the child annually. If that were all, there would, of course, be no objection to a Bahá'í's accepting to be a godfather or godmother. However, even in such countries it is likely that, beyond assuming this responsibility, the godparent would have to take part in the baptismal ceremony of the infant and, although many nominal Christians may treat such matters very lightly, a Bahá'í should be aware of the solemnity with which the church regards the rite and should not assume an undertaking which he cannot fulfil or do anything which would imply a denial of his faith."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Switzerland, November 4, 1984)

I don't see anything wrong with being a best man, though.

arthra

Baha'i
Why would serving as a godparent imply a denial of one's faith? :confused:

In some traditions as Adib noted above a "godfather" agrees to support the Chirstian religion and upbringing of the child..so for a Baha'i to agree to this would be inappropriate..

For example just on the web here is an example of the duties of a Godfather:

Christian Responsibilities of a Godparent
1. Pray for your godchild regularly
2. Set an example of Christian living
3. Help him/her to grow in the faith of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in which he was baptized
4. Give every encouragement to follow Christ and fight against evil
5. Help your godchild to look forward to confirmation.

We Baha'is would be most willing to pray for the child. but would not be carrying out the Christian responsibilities..

For others being a god father is more a nominal sort of thing like a friend of the family and so there would be no problem with this.

I too see no problem with being a "best man" in a Christian wedding as long as it didn't say involve taking communion...which implies you would be a Christian or member of a church and we don't believe in dissimulation.

- Art

Steinninn

Viking
I asked the church in Iceland and they didn't seem to have any official about a non christians being a godfather. But did say that some of the dudies of a godfather were rather christian in nature. So I guess it depends.

They said that the elements of a best man was stricktly formal and had little or nothing to do with christianity, so they there was absolutly nothing to say that a best man had to be christian.

This is from the church of Iceland, might be different in other countries

arthra

Baha'i
I would say then Steinninn it's up to you what you should do.. If you feel good about it and the couple want you to be there it sounds alright..

- Art

Cosmos

I am going to be the best man for my cousin's wedding in the near future--and he's nearly atheist!