• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You can believe whatever you like. It doesn't matter to me. Doesn't do what you say and it doesn't determine individual faith. Your group doesn't think anyone outside of it is Christian anyway from what I read, so saying what you are is a moot point isn't it.
It doesn't matter to you, but do you think it matters to God what people do and believe?
Also, what you read about Jehovah's Witnesses may not be true...maybe you also believe in the reality of eternal torment for the "unsaved" in a place called hell where they are alive and tormented forever, hmm. Wonder what your church teaches about that. I mean do you belong to a church, or do you think all churches and religions are ok with God? I mean, you do believe in evolution, don't you? And yes, that belief nullifies everything the Bible has to say. So? what then? How then is a person a Christian if he believes that (1) Adam never really existed, (2) the lineage leading to Christ never happened as outlined in the Bible, and (3) Jesus never raised any dead person, i.e., that's it all a myth?

As a Christian I believe this to be true:

”Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.“
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭30‬:‭5‬-‭6‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe Proverbs 30:2-4 is a good starting point.
A good starting point might be to realize that demanding a literal interpretation doesn't make you a better Christian in my opinion. It means you have to reject parts of reality. That can't be good.

I've read the Bible practically daily since I was a child. Read the whole thing the first time when I was 10.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter to you, but do you think it matters to God what people do and believe?
What matters to God isn't something you get to dictate.
Also, what you read about Jehovah's Witnesses may not be true...maybe you also believe in the reality of eternal torment for the "unsaved" in a place called hell where they are alive and tormented forever, hmm. Wonder what your church teaches about that. I mean do you belong to a church, or do you think all churches and religions are ok with God? I mean, you do believe in evolution, don't you? And yes, that belief nullifies everything the Bible has to say. So? what then? How then is a person a Christian if he believes that (1) Adam never really existed, (2) the lineage leading to Christ never happened as outlined in the Bible, and (3) Jesus never raised any dead person, i.e., that's it all a myth?
I'm pretty comfortable in the reliability of what I'm reading.

YoursTrue

Declaring that one interpretation is the only, one true interpretation virtually nullifies everything in the Bible from my point of view.
Thank you for expressing your view. So now -- declaring that evolution is true and the Bible's description of creation is not, then you might as well take everything the Bible says as mythical. From Genesis 1 through Revelation. That includes the description of Jesus. The record of his healing people and raising of the dead, and his ascension to heaven. Plus more. I personally don't know if you'll be "saved" or not. But I do believe this: that there are to be a new heaven and a new earth in which righteousness is to dwell.
Revelation 21:1-5 --
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ b or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
5He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

I certainly don't know how you or your church understands that -- but it's ok, howver, because it's GOD who is the judge, not you and not me.
Yessir, I believe that.

A good starting point might be to realize that demanding a literal interpretation doesn't make you a better Christian in my opinion. It means you have to reject parts of reality. That can't be good.

I've read the Bible practically daily since I was a child. Read the whole thing the first time when I was 10.
No you don’t, not sure where you get your thinking, what is a better Christian and why think like that? There are believers and unbelievers, born again or not.
God wrote the Bible and used men to do that by His Spirit, if you can’t accept what He wrote or the supernatural things and have to make excuses and buy into what the world of unbelievers say, then your god is too small.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for expressing your view. So now -- declaring that evolution is true and the Bible's description of creation is not, then you might as well take everything the Bible says as mythical. From Genesis 1 through Revelation. That includes the description of Jesus. The record of his healing people and raising of the dead, and his ascension to heaven. Plus more. I personally don't know if you'll be "saved" or not. But I do believe this: that there are to be a new heaven and a new earth in which righteousness is to dwell.
Revelation 21:1-5 --
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ b or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
5He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

I certainly don't know how you or your church understands that -- but it's ok, howver, because it's GOD who is the judge, not you and not me.
Yessir, I believe that.
You have your opinion. I've noted it. I'm sure I know why you have it. You have demonstrated to me that you don't understand science and your acceptance of some technology is not acceptance of science. You keep declaring that out of ignorance of science you have decided to reject it. Rejecting some science is as much as rejecting all of it. I don't see much point in discussing it further.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No you don’t, not sure where you get your thinking, what is a better Christian and why think like that?
Start over. This is incomprehensible.
There are believers and unbelievers, born again or not.
God wrote the Bible and used men to do that by His Spirit, if you can’t accept what He wrote or the supernatural things and have to make excuses and buy into what the world of unbelievers say, then your god is too small.
That is what you believe. You can't demonstrate that. I don't have to believe it to be Saved and have Christ as my Savior. You can repeat what you are saying all day long. It won't make it true.

YoursTrue

What matters to God isn't something you get to dictate.
You got that right. And neither do you get to dictate it either.
I'm pretty comfortable in the reliability of what I'm reading.
The reliability of what you're reading?? Really? That Jesus raised the dead, are you going to say you believe that? I do, but how reliable do you think the Bible is? Again -- if evolution is true, then everything from Adam on in the Bible is not true. no, sorry, from Genesis 1 on is not true in the evolutionist's mind. Because -- it's all based on myths, right? Or maybe some of it is not, and Jesus did or did not come from heaven, and ascend to heaven after he was killed.
Hey look, I don't want to get you angry, but it's an honest question based on your posts and beliefs. As well as what I read here from others.
Also the thread title. Yes, I am not the judge, and I believe God is love and judges according to the heart, and situation of the person, not what I say or what you say.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You got that right. And neither do you get to dictate it either.

The reliability of what you're reading?? Really? That Jesus raised the dead, are you going to say you believe that? I do, but how reliable do you think the Bible is? Again -- if evolution is true, then everything from Adam on in the Bible is not true. no, sorry, from Genesis 1 on is not true in the evolutionist's mind. Because -- it's all based on myths, right? Or maybe some of it is not, and Jesus did or did not come from heaven, and ascend to heaven after he was killed.
Hey look, I don't want to get you angry, but it's an honest question based on your posts and beliefs. As well as what I read here from others.
Also the thread title. Yes, I am not the judge, and I believe God is love and judges according to the heart, and situation of the person, not what I say or what you say.
Are you saying that you are a "true" Christian and all others are not?

Start over. This is incomprehensible.

That is what you believe. You can't demonstrate that. I don't have to believe it to be Saved and have Christ as my Savior. You can repeat what you are saying all day long. It won't make it true.
A person who is saved has the Holy Spirit who bears witness that the Bible is the Word of God, if you don’t have that witness then you don’t have the Holy Spirit.
You use your intellect to try to prove something, God never says that. He says we walk by faith and not by sight.

YoursTrue

You have your opinion. I've noted it. I'm sure I know why you have it. You have demonstrated to me that you don't understand science and your acceptance of some technology is not acceptance of science. You keep declaring that out of ignorance of science you have decided to reject it. Rejecting some science is as much as rejecting all of it. I don't see much point in discussing it further.
That is simply not true about my belief about science. You keep saying it and so do others. I reject the theory of evolution, including that of supposing fossils show a transference of one distinct form to another, such as fish to mammals, and humanapes. Nope, sorry, it no longer goes in my book. Because life, including animals and plants, and water, is magnificent. And wonderful. And might be analyzed, such as water combining H2O. By the way, I worked for a science teacher at a college and his laboratory was set to examine water via hydrogen and oxygen. Do I think it was a farce? No. Do I believe that vaccines work and were developed by scientists? Yes, I do.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I had no idea that the key to Salvation was dictated to be based on acceptance of a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

Gosh, I guess that's it for me then.

Good grief!

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is simply not true about my belief about science. You keep saying it and so do others. I reject the theory of evolution, including that of supposing fossils show a transference of one distinct form to another, such as fish to mammals, and humanapes. Nope, sorry, it no longer goes in my book. Because life, including animals and plants, and water, is magnificent. And wonderful. And might be analyzed, such as water combining H2O. By the way, I worked for a science teacher at a college and his laboratory was set to examine water via hydrogen and oxygen. Do I think it was a farce? No. Do I believe that vaccines work and were developed by scientists? Yes, I do.
You reject the specific science of biology based on reasons that have nothing to do with the validity of the science. I would bet that you don't understand the science behind the technology that you do accept. It just seems silly to me to go on as if you have done some sort of thorough vetting of it all to come to your conclusions. I've read your posts.

YoursTrue

I had no idea that the key to Salvation was dictated to be based on acceptance of a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

Gosh, I guess that's it for me then.

Good grief!
Literal? Like Jesus being your savior? Literal like that? ok. Don't answer how you think he's your savior. Yes, I guess the conversation is over. Have a good evening.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
How can you say you’re born again, if you don’t believe what God wrote?
How can you dictate whether another is born again? Seems like what I'm up against here is a couple of people who have decided their rules are what makes a person a Christian.

I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Good luck to you. I'm sure there is a Commandment somewhere about this, but you all know better who is and who isn't Christian than I do.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I could keep you all going all night with your "witness for the Lord", but I think I have seen what I needed to.

How can you dictate whether another is born again? Seems like what I'm up against here is a couple of people who have decided their rules are what makes a person a Christian.

I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Good luck to you. I'm sure there is a Commandment somewhere about this, but you all know better who is and who isn't Christian than I do.
God made the rules and it’s the Bible