• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By Chance, are You a Cosmic Dancer?

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'm curious. Do any of you good people who are so devout you only look at things through a religious lens ever get tired of the view? I mean, doesn't looking at everything through a religious lens get a little bit like looking at life through a soda straw after awhile?

On a broader note, do you any of you good people who are so heavily politicized you only look at things through a political lens ever get tired of how narrow the view is?

Aren't all ideologies -- regardless of anything else -- a bit like looking at the world through soda straws?

What about cultures? Isn't your culture a bit like a soda straw? Isn't every culture that way?

Sometimes you come off mean spirited. Never-the-less, I actually don't think you are.
We tend to try to find paths through the forest, rather than continuously hacking with our machetes. It makes the passage a bit more comfortable. And yet, "All roads lead to Rome."

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
There are times when people learn best by focusing on one perspective. Aka your "soda straw". But you're right that after a while that lesson is absorbed and people become tired of it.

It's called "deadly" serious because it is deadening. So I partially agree with "step lightly". There have been endless writings, songs and dances with the "lightly" perspective.

But there needs IMO to be a focus to the dancing. Otherwise it just becomes aimless. The dance steps, as it were, change as the music changes, but the spiritual goal remains the same.
Dancing is one way of bringing the conscious mind and the unconscious mind to work together on on the same task, rather than having them at odds.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm curious. Do any of you good people who are so devout you only look at things through a religious lens ever get tired of the view? I mean, doesn't looking at everything through a religious lens get a little bit like looking at life through a soda straw after awhile?

On a broader note, do you any of you good people who are so heavily politicized you only look at things through a political lens ever get tired of how narrow the view is?

Aren't all ideologies -- regardless of anything else -- a bit like looking at the world through soda straws?

What about cultures? Isn't your culture a bit like a soda straw? Isn't every culture that way?

What do you think of Nietzsche's notion that we should become "cosmic dancers" who only "step lightly" -- rather than "rest heavily" -- on any particular perspective and who dance between "perhaps a hundred perspectives" when looking at any given thing?

Does that make any sense to you? Would that be too many soda straws for you? Would it be too much work? Would it seem unnecessary? What would be the strength and weaknesses of being a cosmic dancer? Your thoughts, please.

These "straws," from where I sit, are attachments. Religious or not, a realization that such "straws" are ever-changing leads one to the "cosmic dance." Nataraja comes to mind. Such a dance leads one to realize the immutable.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sometimes you come off mean spirited. Never-the-less, I actually don't think you are.

You are mistaken. Deeply mistaken. There are times when I am very much mean-spirited. Don't fool yourself about me.

There are also times when I am kind and compassionate. In short, I'm human, and anyone who cannot gracefully accept that fact about me (or about any human) can go suck horseradish roots in hell for all I care about their views of me and others. My natural friends and allies are those people who recognize their own and other people's humanity.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your comments on India were about India, not so much Hinduism. It's quite the place, full of irony and contrast. Very difficult to make huge generalisations at all.

This is what generally happens when Hindus and Muslims cross paths. Not your typical western press view.

8shv3hdlw3m31.jpg
That is a beautiful photograph. Vinayaka. We need to remember that many Hindus families or communities traditionally take out Muharram Tazias. Since Google has too many images on the subject, I am giving the link and not the images.
Tazias taken out by Hindus - Google Search
How Lucknow Hindus have been mourning during Moharram for ages now
Yeah, they have to be kept at a distance. There are always Political or Pakistan/IS-influenced miscreants ready to spoil the environment.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is a beautiful photograph. Vinayaka. We need to remember that many Hindus families or communities traditionally take out Muharram Tazias. Since Google has too many images on the subject, I am giving the link and not the images.
Tazias taken out by Hindus - Google Search
How Lucknow Hindus have been mourning during Moharram for ages now
Yeah, they have to be kept at a distance. There are always Political or Pakistan/IS-influenced miscreants ready to spoil the environment.

For me, the key is that one can disagree vehemently, but that that disagreement is limited to controlled speech, and very very rarely turns to nastiness.

For those who don't get the picture, it's showing what happens when a Hindu procession, and a Muslim procession collide physically.

WalterTrull

Godfella
You are mistaken. Deeply mistaken. There are times when I am very much mean-spirited. Don't fool yourself about me.

There are also times when I am kind and compassionate. In short, I'm human, and anyone who cannot gracefully accept that fact about me (or about any human) can go suck horseradish roots in hell for all I care about their views of me and others. My natural friends and allies are those people who recognize their own and other people's humanity.

Pardon. Kinda zero sumey??

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane

What do you think of Nietzsche's notion that we should become "cosmic dancers" who only "step lightly" -- rather than "rest heavily" -- on any particular perspective and who dance between "perhaps a hundred perspectives" when looking at any given thing?

Does that make any sense to you? Would that be too many soda straws for you? Would it be too much work? Would it seem unnecessary? What would be the strength and weaknesses of being a cosmic dancer? Your thoughts, please.

I think it's more like a play* but you've got the right idea there, yep!

(* cause lots of people hate dancing, lol)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
We live during a time where traditions are more transient and the whole of human knowledge can be accessed through a device in our pockets.

If we cannot be cosmic dancers, what a frightful thing the world will be.