• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying Land

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
We should all note that land ownership is (in real estate parlance) "a bundle of rights".
It is never (in the modern world) an unlimited right to do anything upon the land.
Reasonable restrictions to protect rights & liberties of others will apply.

I'm on our towns planning board. There is an entire book of rules of what you can and cannot do with your land. It should be that way to some extent. Mostly environmental laws and types of land use allowed in your area.

Being a landowner is very expensive. You pay tax every year for the same pieces of land and there are laws about how much you can sell or divide for sale in so many years. It becomes an issue unless you have enough money to create a subdivision. We have "land poor" people who want to pass it down to their children but can't afford the taxes.

I know, it doesn't sound like much of a problem. But the point is one cannot really "do what they want" with their own land. Some folks are starting to give their land to trusts for public parks rather than having the town seize it for non payment of taxes for those unable to afford the taxes. That is a good use.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Don't think that I don't believe in land as a commodity just because I don't own where I live. I used to own my land, but that was before I moved to Russia. There's really no point in owning land in Canada when you're not planning on going back, after all.
You really live in Russia? Interesting. Not to go off-topic but I'm curious about how you feel about their "anti-LGBT propaganda laws. I'd be scared to go to Russia over that and because I'm not white and I hear darker skinned people are treated badly there.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Amusing side question: For those of you are do not think land should be treated as a commodity, do you own your own land right now? Yes or No. (This is not a trick to call you a hypocrite.)
Going by the law of the land?

I happen to have "acquired" a very small piece of real state by those criteria, yes.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
In a system where the land is owned communally? Well, the community would have to decide. Put it to a vote, or something like that.
So now more vanity, artistic or necessary but unpopular projects.

Sorry, but as a guy who wants to build a personal castle, I disagree with you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe in your country but not here.
You see we have this document called the Constitution.
It grants and protects the rights of people to acquire, use, and dispose of property freely under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment.

from: Cato Handbook for Policymakers: 16. Property Rights and the Constitution
What does the Constitution have to do with what is right or proper? The constitution only underlies what is currently legal in the United States.
A view from one who has land....
Local authorities are more prone to attacking land ownership rights than defending them.
- They tax it under threat of taking.
- They limit rights thru eminent domain, wetlands laws, endangered
species laws, zoning laws, building & housing codes.
- If someone encroaches on my property, my ability to preserve my
rights is limited to courts & police, which can be enormously slow &
expensive.
Oh, if only I could just take matters into my own hands, I'd do it the
modern NASA way....cheaper, better, faster.
In defense of 'authorities', though, many of the regulations and limitations of "rights" are protective of both the ecosystem and the economic interests of neighbors.

The health and well-being of the planet must trump the interests of any individual organism, and the health and economic interests of an owner can be severely impacted by the activities of a neighbor.
Someone is going to own land. Whether it's government, the people (whatever
that means), individuals or companies, someone will control & use it.
For much land, the highest & best use is achieved by private ownership.
In the US there is no real "private" ownership of land. The land is owned by the government and rented by individuals or corporations.
If you have to pay a periodic sum of money to a second party to retain ownership of something, you don't really "own" it -- you're renting it. Whether it's a monthly sum to a landlord or an annual "property tax," it's rent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm on our towns planning board. There is an entire book of rules of what you can and cannot do with your land. It should be that way to some extent. Mostly environmental laws and types of land use allowed in your area.

Being a landowner is very expensive. You pay tax every year for the same pieces of land and there are laws about how much you can sell or divide for sale in so many years. It becomes an issue unless you have enough money to create a subdivision. We have "land poor" people who want to pass it down to their children but can't afford the taxes.

I know, it doesn't sound like much of a problem. But the point is one cannot really "do what they want" with their own land. Some folks are starting to give their land to trusts for public parks rather than having the town seize it for non payment of taxes for those unable to afford the taxes. That is a good use.
You're one of them!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What does the Constitution have to do with what is right or proper? The constitution only underlies what is currently legal in the United States.
In defense of 'authorities', though, many of the regulations and limitations of "rights" are protective of both the ecosystem and the economic interests of neighbors.

The health and well-being of the planet must trump the interests of any individual organism, and the health and economic interests of an owner can be severely impacted by the activities of a neighbor.
In the US there is no real "private" ownership of land. The land is owned by the government and rented by individuals or corporations.
If you have to pay a periodic sum of money to a second party to retain ownership of something, you don't really "own" it -- you're renting it. Whether it's a monthly sum to a landlord or an annual "property tax," it's rent.
"Ownership" is there....it just has some big limitations.
This is even true for government in the long run.
A more powerful country can come along & just take it.
I think of Indians & Palestinians.
Someone else wanted it, had bigger weapons, & had title granted by God himself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess you either do not understand or do not accept what I said.
<snicker> Do not accept <snicker>.
Up here, any property owner who is too poor (or ethical) to be able to bribe officials
will see government as this looming enemy....itching to raise our taxes under any
phony pretext...ready to impose new restrictions upon the property....scratching to
impose high inspection fees at every opportunity...preying on tenants to extract
money from them for signage, personal property, etc.
It's a perspective that non-property owners just don't ever see.

Example...
I once got a 50% tax increase on my home, despite the Hedley Amendment limiting
increases to some single digit amount per year. How did they justify this?
They said they just noticed my barn (the green one). It had been there long before
I even bought the property, but this didn't matter. Their updating their records
removed the increase limitation.
Oddly, multiple real estate appraisers (licensed professionals) have given it no
value because of its condition, use, & the home's proximity to the city.

Perhaps your government in Brazil is very different....benevolent, & treating
property owners as customers to be served. Here, we're just a revenue source.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What's the point of having private land if there is a government tells you what you can and cannot do with it? Where I live I can't even park on my own private lawn!

If a person wants a big purple polka dotted fence with pinwheels as posts on their own property, they should be allowed to have it. If they want a car on blocks with their dog living in it on their own property that should be fine too.

My neighbor cuts tracks through his front yard with his car and I love it! I have tracks in my front yard as well. *Grin* That's the beauty of being independent and free on your own property while waving a finger at those who want to control it.

It's poetic justice really from a historical standpoint and on how Native Americans feel about the intense joy of having your own lands and the freedom to do anything with it and the despair when you can't and lose it.

I'm for private ownership all the way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's the point of having private land if there is a government tells you what you can and cannot do with it? Where I live I can't even park on my own private lawn!
Use land as you can to do what you want....
Make money, frolic naked, grow crops, landscape, live, etc.
If you're lucky, you'll find it useful.
And then you die.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One of the questions on the Political Compass test is,

'Land should not be a commodity to be bought and sold'.

Do you agree? Should land be state owned, private, Church (much of UK land is Church owned), other?

What do you think?
In some societies, land was seen as we see the sky. The very concept of ownership isn't/wasn't there.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Make food?
That's wimin's work!
But gittin guts and growin' oats is man's work ... yer job to provide the key ingredients. Aren't there some Amish around there you could buy a sheep from? (I actually delivered some of the horrid stuff to the faculty club at our university for Robbie Burns Day ... stunk up my van.)