• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist...?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course, it is allowed for us Theravadins to be aware and understanding of Mahayana language, you know :)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
And us Mahayanists want EVERYONE, including you Therevadans, to attain enlightenment (become a small "b" buddha).

LooseEnd

Friends,

Kindly understand *buddha* is a state of being and not any individual person.
When an individual reaches to that *nirvanic* state; Gautama too became a buddha like Jesus became Christ i.e. the individual energy has fully merged with the universal energy and the individual is no more a separate entity is the state of *buddhahood*.
Religions are nothing but ways/path to reach such a state.

Love & rgds

True. But I was referring to the fact that theravadin's consider there are three states one can reach in attaining "nirvana", buddha being only one of them.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think I practiced it for longer than I knew. I considered myself an open minded person and willing to listen to and hear the heart of people's connection. My original encounter with Buddhism opened my eyes to what other had to offer and say.

I realized I was a Buddhist is when a friend commented 'Since your a Buddhist' in a conversation. I certainly used a lot of Buddhist language to express myself ideas and as part of my logic for when searching. I also practiced meditation from that stand point as well. The more I thought about it the more I saw my entire spiritual practice was Buddha-centric. I understood and practiced the refuges and the 8 fold path. All this because it seemed so practical.

Well after that conversation I really go to thinking and decided then, if that was the path I was on, that that is Path I'll walk in more richly and deeply. Buddhism still adds to and enriches my understanding of the core heart of other faith traditions.

As a matter of fact I am a spiritual counselor at a Roman Catholic run drop in centre. I engage people with the language that they choose, which is usually Christian-centred, but I can't say it differs much from the other types of spiritual talks I have with people there. We meet people where they are at and that is good for me. I feel that Buddhist practice helps me touch the faith I was raise in, and have even found a voice or link in the chain, reading about Christian meditation.

I digress, however I just wanted to add that it's always a funny reminder of what my mind REALLY understands, when I hear the sutra synopsis of the Bible reading, in my 'ears' during our study. Interestingly enough, when I do share, the language captures people's attention and really puts a smile on their face. I think it's because people feel they can touch what Buddha rockin' even though I don't tell them the source of my wording of the Gospel lessons, lol.

So that is my rant. That is at least part of the reason I decided perhaps I was a Buddhist and not some one who just felt close to it. Through out my life of practice from early till now, there have been numerous 'miracles' or 'ah-has' where the practice has brought it into focus on the big issues I've worked through, and the little ones like the grocery line.

Hope that was on topic enough to be valid and you can see some point in there, because it's got a lot of good intentions and love of the Practice.

thanks for letting me share and much peace to you in your search and question.

:namaste
SageTree

LooseEnd

Of course, it is allowed for us Theravadins to be aware and understanding of Mahayana language, you know :)

Yes. But I see that many people do not understand the Mahayana language. In my country some people use these misunderstandings to point out Mahayana is erroneous.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is there even a single Theravadin language? I think not.

Yes and no. There are Mahayana schools of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tibetan / Nepalese / Indian origin, and their terminologies are quite varied indeed.

By contrast, Theravada uses only Pali and whatever contemporary languages the situation demands.

Of course, that does not mean that you are wrong. But really, the Mahayana variety makes Theravada pale by comparison.

xkatz

Yes and no. There are Mahayana schools of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tibetan / Nepalese / Indian origin, and their terminologies are quite varied indeed.

By contrast, Theravada uses only Pali and whatever contemporary languages the situation demands.

Of course, that does not mean that you are wrong. But really, the Mahayana variety makes Theravada pale by comparison.

I was only being sarcastic :D

AllMantra

And I don't believe that I can do better than the answers already provided. I do, however have a comment... I find the essence of Buddha Shakyamuni's teachings to be genuine inquisitiveness. For after all he did teach us to believe nothing, not even the Dhamma he taught, without first testing it and making sure it is sensible to us. To clarify, I did not say that such inquisitiveness makes one a Buddhist, I just find it to be the essence of the historical Buddha's teaching, as found in the Pali canon. Therefore I do not consider myself a Buddhist, but rather inquisitive, in a Buddhistic way :)

Tathagata

Freethinker
Ilusory as it is, there is still a practical use for that distinction.

WOW. Nicely put! That's something that I've been trying to get across for some time now! :bow: :clap

(I would rep ya, but it says I have to spread it around first.)