• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bruce lee over-hyped?

are bruce lee's martial art skills over-hyped/exaggerated?

• yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • no

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so....I bought the book.....Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Bruce Lee was said to have grown up where the fight was always too real
you could die learning to live

my old neighborhood wasn't quite that bad.....but the city tore it down to get rid of it

if the renderings of his book are truly his script....
he was indeed.....all that he seemed to be

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
bruce lee over-hyped? Yes and no...he is certainly over sold by many who are not JKD folks or pretending to be JKD folks or are kinda sorta JKD Folks. Not a whole lot of hype from actual JKD Folks though.

I trained his style JKD, briefly, in the Jerry Poteet line and it is real, it is aggressive and those guys know how to fight. Is the most awesome, best martial art in the land....no...but then no martial art is. I have trained a lot of different styles over the years and if I were a younger man with less infirmities I would train JKD. Using drills it is an easy and quick way to learn how to defend yourself effectively. But with that said there are most definitely 2 sides of the JKD fence from Bruce's first generation students. Those that believe they should teach exactly what Bruce taught them (Jerry Poteet for example) and those that feel that they should teach based more on JKD philosophy of take what is useful and discard what is not (the Dan Inosanto side of the fence). IMO neither side is better than the other, it is just what you want to learn and what your take is on JKD. For me, I preferred the what Bruce Lee actually taught side of the fence.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
bruce lee over-hyped? Yes and no...he is certainly over sold by many who are not JKD folks or pretending to be JKD folks or are kinda sorta JKD Folks. Not a whole lot of hype from actual JKD Folks though.

I trained his style JKD, briefly, in the Jerry Poteet line and it is real, it is aggressive and those guys know how to fight. Is the most awesome, best martial art in the land....no...but then no martial art is. I have trained a lot of different styles over the years and if I were a younger man with less infirmities I would train JKD. Using drills it is an easy and quick way to learn how to defend yourself effectively. But with that said there are most definitely 2 sides of the JKD fence from Bruce's first generation students. Those that believe they should teach exactly what Bruce taught them (Jerry Poteet for example) and those that feel that they should teach based more on JKD philosophy of take what is useful and discard what is not (the Dan Inosanto side of the fence). IMO neither side is better than the other, it is just what you want to learn and what your take is on JKD. For me, I preferred the what Bruce Lee actually taught side of the fence.

Now compare him to Stan Lee.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

that legend of a stand off......the one where Lee got hurt
that event caused a change in his style

the story i got.....the local orientals did not approve of the art taught to (Chinese derogatory)
they sent a champion to shut down Lee's teaching

the fight lasted 3minutes
afterward he decided the classic moves were too 'round about'
not direct enough

hence Jeet Kune Do

but I say.....his son Brandon
carried the art sooooooo very well
(I think the movie was called Rapid Fire)

Wu Wei

Now compare him to Stan Lee.

Stan Lee
1519844220-1_2bxu9TD1TUuW8VhsjnXQAg.jpeg

Bruce Lee

Bruce_Lee_1973.jpg

And just cause you asked so nicely...a bonus....Tommy Lee

595E9395-tommy-lee-on-spains-running-of-the-bulls-festival-it-s-truly-more-twisted-than-anything-i-could-have-imagined-even-during-my-wildest-days-with-motley-crue-image.jpg

And Robert E Lee

800px-Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

ronki23

He was a pioneer but things have evolved. I'll give credit to him for beating some people up in Hong Kong as a youth and for winning a high school boxing tournament but he's not that physically strong or muscular, especially when it comes to lifting weights. If you want modern inspiration look up George's St Pierre, Gene LeBell or even Dan Gable; all 3 are still alive.

By the way, Jackie Chan used to fight; once he was a bouncer in a nightclub and he got into a fight. A day later he thought he had bone sticking out of his fist only to realize it was the other guy's tooth.

Wu Wei

that legend of a stand off......the one where Lee got hurt
that event caused a change in his style

the story i got.....the local orientals did not approve of the art taught to (Chinese derogatory)
they sent a champion to shut down Lee's teaching

the fight lasted 3minutes
afterward he decided the classic moves were too 'round about'
not direct enough

hence Jeet Kune Do

but I say.....his son Brandon
carried the art sooooooo very well
(I think the movie was called Rapid Fire)

The story varies depending on who you hear it from.... the only thing that seems to be agreed upon is; Chinese were unhappy Bruce was teaching non-Chinese so they brought in Wong Jack Man to fight Bruce Lee. There was a fight and after that Bruce Lee developed Jeet Kune Do. As for the injury, I believe that is a thing from the movie. Lee got hurt, but it was from working out, not the fight. I do not remember if it was prior to or after the fight. Brandon was good, also the guy who played Bruce Lee in the movie "Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story". Jason Scott Lee. was pretty much a dancer, not a martial artist, when he got the part, but today he is a JKD teacher who learned from Poteet.

Daemon Sophic

It’s too bad about the ping-pong video being a fake.:eek:

I worked with a classmate of Lee. He told me that as a young man, Bruce Lee certainly had an incredible amount of skill, as well as drive to learn more....to a fault.
He apparently was a bit of a punk (per my colleague). Bruce would travel to shady parts of Seattle, and pick fights with other young men “in order to practice his fighting skills”. :rolleyes:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I shady parts of (town).....and pick fights with other young men “in order to practice his fighting skills”. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the movie......Fight Club

and my old neighborhood

people you don't know would approach....not say a word....and then
BANG! right in the eye ....as if trying to knock me down

almost lost an eye over that crap

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
what do you think?
Yes in much of the legendary lore built-up around Lee.

Practically speaking, Bruce Lee was an accomplished street fighter before he was famous, and is still among the unparalleled Martial artists who had ever lived.