• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BP's next disaster

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Given that the Russians have designs on the top of the world too, BP can't be the only threat. Since BP is smarting from the latest
disaster, competing firms might be more lax. Nothing will improve if people focus on one failure in a chain full of weak links.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You can pretty much trust Obama to suck up to the corporations. It's one of the things he's good at. The other thing he's good at is taking away civil liberties.

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
The US has been trying to get off oil for 70 years. Thing is, every time a probable alternative is supplied, the companies buy off the patents and ban production lol.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The US has been trying to get off oil for 70 years. Thing is, every time a probable alternative is supplied, the companies buy off the patents and ban production lol.

You're joking....right?
I only ask cuz some people have actually thought I was part of the conspiracy when I worked in transportation.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why hasn't ethenol as an alternative caught on? Because the US government and oil corporations are still in bed together, and they don't want it to catch on. I'm starting to think our government is the most backwards government in the whole dam* world

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why hasn't ethenol as an alternative caught on? Because the US government and oil corporations are still in bed together, and they don't want it to catch on. I'm starting to think our government is the most backwards government in the whole dam* world

Currently, ethanol costs more than fossil fuels, particularly if food (eg, corn) is used to manufacture it. It has some benefits as a petroleum fuel additive, but there are corrosion issues too.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Currently, ethanol costs more than fossil fuels, particularly if food (eg, corn) is used to manufacture it. It has some benefits as a petroleum fuel additive, but there are corrosion issues too.

Not to mention the amount of land segregated in order to produce it.

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
Well, we could reduce our farm allocation for livestock and switch it over to whatever we want. Every scientific study has shown that meat is not meant to be a significant portion of the diet, yet we feed and slaughter tons of cows every day for mass consumption on a large scale.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, we could reduce our farm allocation for livestock and switch it over to whatever we want. Every scientific study has shown that meat is not meant to be a significant portion of the diet, yet we feed and slaughter tons of cows every day for mass consumption on a large scale.

Rather than having gov't subsidize problematic things like ethanol, it would make more sense to have a free marketplace sort out a mix of solutions.
Big petro-fuel taxes would do that. This is why we see more efficient vehicle choices across the pond, eg, smaller vehicles, more diesel engines, more
demand for mass transit, bike friendly cities. Gov't imposed solutions are going to be heavily influenced by fashion & lobbies rather than intelligent planning.

Last edited:

Duck

Rather than having gov't subsidize problematic things like ethanol, it would make more sense to have a free marketplace sort out a mix of solutions.
Big petro-fuel taxes would do that. This is why we see more efficient vehicle choices across the pond, eg, smaller vehicles, more diesel engines, more
demand for mass transit, bike friendly cities. Gov't imposed solutions are going to be heavily influenced by fashion & lobbies rather than intelligent planning.

True. In the 90's when I was a young duckling I remember thinking that the prices for fuel weren't bad while on a port visit to Italy. (granted this was during the bad days for Italy when the lire was trading at 15000ish to the dollar -- I saw prices for (granted expensive items) things listed using scientific notation). After I had done the math and converted the numbers I thought meh, that's only about $2.50 what was everyone complaining about with the price of gas...then a buddy pointed out that the price was per liter. After I stopped gasping with shock I was further shocked to discover that anyone was driving at all.

After visiting Oslo recently, I was amazed at the efficiency (price and regularity) of the mass transit system, the huge amount of biking/walking paths and the relatively (by US standards for a comparably sized city) low vehicle traffic. I was still shocked by the price of the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel (exceedingly long I admit at approximately 50km cost was 955 kr about $198 US.), and ruefully admitted that I should have taken the advice of the nice (and handsome) young man running the taxi stand at the airport and rode the train or bus.

I will point out that beyond the taxation issues, one other factor affecting the physical size of vehicles in many European countries is the street size. Particularly in the older cities some streets make it impractical, at best, to have large vehicles.