• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You're Currently Reading

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As per signature, currently reading: The Moral Animal by Robert Wright and The Authoritarian Dynamic by Karen Stenner. I can recommend the former as to gaining an insight into the mind of Darwin and the process he went through in producing On The Origin Of Species. It is quite long (nearly 400 pages) but well worth a read. And I challenge any who don't believe in the TOE to read this, along with his book, and then come back so as to argue why they still don't believe in such. The second book seems another that will take an effort to get through, just as so many others are still in the process of being read, but it promises to explain much about why so many seem to be capable of having fixed views without any hope of redemption from such. :oops:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm still reading the same book, but I just found a crazy coincidence...

The last chapter I read was one of the men taking in a crippled puppy... he gives her a name: Dharma.

I have a crippled dog named Dharma. :confused:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The Ancient and Shining Ones by DJ Conway.

I read it once as a young person, too. Its interesting that the second time I can pick out a lot of exaggerations and mistakes. Still a good springboard for further study, though.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been going through Bereschit more methodically.

Also translating an Early Middle English Christian text for Vouthon.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Also translating an Early Middle English Christian text for Vouthon.
I'm next, please. I need something in 19th century German but printed in gothic letters that I can't decipher translated into English. Modern English, preferably. :D:D:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm next, please. I need something in 19th century German but printed in gothic letters that I can't decipher translated into English. Modern English, preferably. :D:D:D
You know, if I had the time I would try that for real.

I was actually going to translate a Mediaeval French text for your birthday (it was going to be a surprise) about these Christians visiting Egypt and discovering all about 'muscas' (mosques) etc. and so on. I wasn't sure if it were totally your thing but I thought it would have been nice. I ended up not doing it because of my constant fatigue problem.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I was actually going to translate a Mediaeval French text for your birthday (it was going to be a surprise) about these Christians visiting Egypt and discovering all about 'muscas' (mosques) etc. and so on. I wasn't sure if it were totally your thing but I thought it would have been nice. I ended up not doing it because of my constant fatigue problem.
Is this for real? Because I have to know: What did they think they would find there?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this for real? Because I have to know: What did they think they would find there?
Yup.

You'd be surprised how ignorant these folks are. We're not talking about educated people, but essentially crusader types who were pulled from the lower classes. They didn't know about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure they had much clue what they would find, tbh. I will translate it for you if you want.

(That being said, I only started this text and didn't progress through it - so could be more nuanced than this).

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You'd be surprised how ignorant these folks are. We're not talking about educated people, but essentially crusader types who were pulled from the lower classes. They didn't know about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure they had much clue what they would find, tbh. I will translate it for you if you want.
I have a class on the Crusades this year. Yup, a whole year learning about bloodthirsty knights and peasants. Snore. We touched upon one Jewish source from the genizah last week, which was cool. Some Egyptian Jews were sending a message to other Jews requesting assistance in collecting donations to pay the Crusaders to free Jews they captured. But mostly we've been reading translations of journals and chronicles written by knights and clergymen.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a class on the Crusades this year. Yup, a whole year learning about bloodthirsty knights and peasants. Snore.
:hearteyes:Mediaeval history:relaxed:

I will take this class in your stead and you can do other Harel things in the meantime.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
:hearteyes: Mediaeval history :relaxed:

I will take this class in your stead and you can do other Harel things in the meantime.
I wish. Unfortunately, I need to take each of the classes of the four basic historical eras both in Jewish history and in archeology. The Crusades is the subject that the Middle Ages lecturer from the archeology dept. decided on. *Groan*. I enjoy quoting a friend of mine to explain the difference between the two departments: Jewish history is Jews even without the Land of Israel and archeology is the Land of Israel even without the Jews. Thus, a class on the Crusades with only occasional mentions of Jews.

I really wanted to take the Jewish history Middle Ages class this year, but unfortunately my schedule didn't allow it. Maybe next year.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish. Unfortunately, I need to take each of the classes of the four basic historical eras both in Jewish history and in archeology. The Crusades is the subject that the Middle Ages lecturer from the archeology dept. decided on. *Groan*. I enjoy quoting a friend of mine to explain the difference between the two departments: Jewish history is Jews even without the Land of Israel and archeology is the Land of Israel even without the Jews. Thus, a class on the Crusades with only occasional mentions of Jews.

I really wanted to take the Jewish history Middle Ages class this year, but unfortunately my schedule didn't allow it. Maybe next year.
Harel in this class (image I found from my old files),

y4mp65S4vU9-3-jMLZhX9R29-BbksgWtBnBWdHlg6Qgz_rTMrZq8je4jW2gr3sSMWWui_rezw-7EXMZM0kUmcbUBMCb0L7kV30fLbzQXyOyJodUnrhW7-FalrArv9Rhhy0T0bb2qhz49kXAIDYGhE6pc_8AVCerHDarc_d-M8F01FfL3QA4F0dEQP-ObI2UCVu8-tipR5-6UPSHz1Asi4ph_oGqsqWA3U8WBeZSSJy3npk

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Harel in this class (image I found from my old files),

y4mp65S4vU9-3-jMLZhX9R29-BbksgWtBnBWdHlg6Qgz_rTMrZq8je4jW2gr3sSMWWui_rezw-7EXMZM0kUmcbUBMCb0L7kV30fLbzQXyOyJodUnrhW7-FalrArv9Rhhy0T0bb2qhz49kXAIDYGhE6pc_8AVCerHDarc_d-M8F01FfL3QA4F0dEQP-ObI2UCVu8-tipR5-6UPSHz1Asi4ph_oGqsqWA3U8WBeZSSJy3npk
I am deeply offended. I have computer documents filled with class notes. That I happen to doodle on my computer in-between taking notes does not warrant a virtual warning.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Reading "Paying the Price" by Sara Goldrick Rab. Description below:

If you are a young person, and you work hard enough, you can get a college degree and set yourself on the path to a good life, right?

Not necessarily, says Sara Goldrick-Rab, and with Paying the Price, she shows in damning detail exactly why. Quite simply, college is far too expensive for many people today, and the confusing mix of federal, state, institutional, and private financial aid leaves countless students without the resources they need to pay for it.

Drawing on an unprecedented study of 3,000 young adults who entered public colleges and universities in Wisconsin in 2008 with the support of federal aid and Pell Grants, Goldrick-Rab reveals the devastating effect of these shortfalls. Half the students in the study left college without a degree, while less than 20 percent finished within five years. The cause of their problems, time and again, was lack of money. Unable to afford tuition, books, and living expenses, they worked too many hours at outside jobs, dropped classes, took time off to save money, and even went without adequate food or housing. In many heartbreaking cases, they simply left school—not with a degree, but with crippling debt. Goldrick-Rab combines that shocking data with devastating stories of six individual students, whose struggles make clear the horrifying human and financial costs of our convoluted financial aid policies.

America can fix this problem. In the final section of the book, Goldrick-Rab offers a range of possible solutions, from technical improvements to the financial aid application process, to a bold, public sector–focused “first degree free” program. What’s not an option, this powerful book shows, is doing nothing, and continuing to crush the college dreams of a generation of young people.