• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books You're Currently Reading

Yazata

'Metaphysics - an introduction' by Alyssa Ney. 2014 Routledge

It's an introduction to metaphysics as that subject is pursued in the 'analytic' tradition. But despite being an introduction, it gets into many contemporary debates currently playing out in the literature. It isn't easy reading but it outlines some very complicated arguments without assuming lots of background knowledge and without oversimplifying.

It's widely used by universities as a textbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Metaphysics-Introduction-Alyssa-Ney-dp-041564075X/dp/041564075X/

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I started and finished re-reading today Daniel Shalem's Mr. Blumenthal and the Jewish Pirate (yes, another Hebrew book).
It's a hilarious book, though personally I've always thought that the "Jewish Pirate" bit of the title is kind of the book version of clickbait because the Jewish pirate portion of the story isn't really too central to the plot.
The book is about Mr. Blumenthal (we only find out his first name in the last chapter), a religious Jew who gets stranded on a desert island and tries to figure out how to survive. Basically, a Jewish Robinson Crusoe.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I just started The Rabbit Back Literature Society...again. I keep forgetting about it and finding it in a drawer.

Also some maths and some books on programming cause I'm a party animal.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I just started The Rabbit Back Literature Society...again. I keep forgetting about it and finding it in a drawer.

I'm not familiar; what's it about?

Also some maths and some books on programming cause I'm a party animal.

Hey, paper cuts and eye strain are serious risks, you daredevil! :p

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm not familiar; what's it about?
A strange little Finnish town where the books in the library have alternate storylines. I think it's going to be a thriller of sorts. I'm only into the 2nd or 3rd chapter

Left Coast said:
Hey, paper cuts and eye strain are serious risks, you daredevil! :p
Live full throttle or not all, I say...

Viker

Häxan
A small but interesting little book.

IMG_20210725_224009.jpg
IMG_20210725_224038.jpg

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Started on Shabbat two books:

1. The Felled Branch of the Graf Potocki by Sofi Ben-Artzi, a fictitious account of the legendary convert Valentine Potocki's journey to Judaism. By the way, on the subject of the validity of the story, here's some food for thought on the subject from historian Rabbi Prof. Sid Leiman (the class starts around minute five).

2. The Kingdom of David by Moshe Garsiel - a book analyzing the workings of King David's military and government.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Michael Knowles' Speechless, which came a while ago and I've read a bit of but put down in favour of others. Been very good so far though.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Started up The Haitian Vodou Handbook by Kenaz Filan. I am only a few chapters in, but so far its been fascinating. I'm learning a lot about a place and culture I know very little about.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Started today "Jewish Ethics Versus Christian Ethics", Hebrew translation of the second part of Rabbi Eliyahu Ben-Amozeg's "Morale Juive et Morale Chrétienne. Examen Comparatif Suivi de Quelques Réflexions sur les Principes de l'Islamisme".

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been reading The World of Tibetan Buddhism by the Dalai Lama. Its a topic I don't understand well, so I though I'd give it a go. Honestly, it probably isn't the best book for someone who knows very little. I find myself having to reread sections frequently because it kinda goes over my head.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Mimamsa Sutras of Jaimini...

And I thought the last one was difficult...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Now reading: "The Karaite Mourners of Zion and the Qumran Scrolls" by Prof. Yoram Erder
"From Samaria to Schechem" by Prof. Menachem Mor
and nearly finished with the chapters that interest me in "Sects and Cults in Judaism" by Avraham Korman

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm reading Ajaya: Duryodhana's Mahabharata. I am loving it. Its not scripturally accurate(and it doesn't claim to be), but its a really good read anyways.