• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Abraham

Watchmen

Premium Member
You also offered no evidence explaining why your interpretation of the facsimile was correct over other Egyptologists.

You got owned here son.

My interpretation is correct because it comes from modern Egyptologists who know a hell of a lot more than Joseph Smith about such things.

You represent what is exactly wrong with the church. People blindly believe and stick their heads in the sand at the obvious. Enjoy continuing to live oblivious to the truth.

Prestor John

My interpretation is correct because it comes from modern Egyptologists who know a hell of a lot more than Joseph Smith about such things.
How are you so incapable of understanding what Clear has said and asked you?

Is it willful belligerence or are you really that dense?
You represent what is exactly wrong with the church. People blindly believe and stick their heads in the sand at the obvious. Enjoy continuing to live oblivious to the truth.
This is hypocritical because that is what you are doing now.

Your head is so deep in that sand that you don't even realize how thoroughly Clear has destroyed your position.

You must be a special little snowflake.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi Prestor John :

1) Firstly : I was, honestly, not trying to embarrass Watchmen, but merely to point out the compete absurdity of his silly premise and it's position.

Watchmen offered multiple interpretations in his O.P. which conflict with Joseph Smiths explanation. I used his #1 example. Watchmens' interpretation of the Bird in the facsimile is “The spirit or “ba” of Hor (The deceased fellow)

However, his own interpretations are, according to multiple Egyptologists (who he himself sites) incorrect.

Deveria says the bird is “the soul of Osiris under the form of a hawk,..., Spaulding also accepts Deverias authority. Petrie says the bird “is the hawk Horus”. Breasted says the bird represents “Isis” in the hawk form. Sayce, mace, and Mercer were either unable or unwilling to commit to a meaning of anything in the facsimile. Neither does Budge use this symbol for a persons “ba” in almost 700 pages of his interpretation of an entire Book of the Dead. So while watchmen claims : "My interpretation is correct because it comes from modern Egyptologists..", he then has to tell us why his egyptologist is correct against all of the above majority egyptologists who say he is incorrect.

For example, If a reader simply googles the symbol for the egyptian "ba" as a hieroglyph (i.e. not as a three dimensional necklass or talisman), then it is easily seen that Watchmens claim looks nothing like the egyptian "ba" (though the internet IS the source of watchmens' qualification to interpret egyptian according to him).

My point was that when watchmen offered readers erroneous and bad data and then pointed out that smith disagrees with that bad and erroneous data, it doesn’t show Smith was wrong at all. It simply shows a willingness to use bad data to influence others. This doesn’t tell anything important about Smith. It tells us something important about Watchmen.

2) Secondly : the test Watchmen wants to subject the Facsimile to, cannot prove what he seems to want to prove to himself. For example :

The depiction is not a standard Egyptian hypostele :

The early egyptologists, (set up by Spaulding) said that the scene was : “a well-known scene, (mercer) “merely the usual scene,” (Lithgoe) “figures...well known to Egyptologists and ...easy of interpretation,” (Mercer) “depicted...unnumbered thousands of times.”. If this is a typical, common scene, then one might suppose that the experts could come to some agreement on what this simple and obvious scene should mean. However, all of them disagreed on each of the items in the facsimile and none agreed on everything. It was a "keystone cops" attempt to translate a basic "Dick and Jane" difficultly level that resulted in much embarrassment to the egyptologists involved.

The Egyptologist James Breasted even claimed the facsimile was part of an incredibly common series of documents saying :
a whole nation of people who employed them in every human burial, which they prepared”.
publications of fac-similes of this resurrection scene....could be furnish in indefinite numbers.”
the three facsimiles...will be and has been found in unnumbered thousands in egyptian graves....they were in universal use among the pagan egyptians.
“to sum up,...these three facsimiles...depict the most common objects in the mortuary religion of Egypt..

Meyer, Petrie, Lythgoe, Sayce and Breasted all made similar silly statements.

However, no duplicate of this facsimile has ever been found. Not a single one. This one is different than the “unnumbered thousands in Egyptian graves” Breasted described.

Joseph Smith claimed it was different as well.

The discovery that this facsimile had no duplicate among the "unnumbered thousands" means it is different and must be examined differently.

3) Thirdly, If the facsimile is different because is it a hebrew redaction, then to prove it either true or false, one must look at it as a redaction and see if it fits or not.

Watchmens attempt to prove that the object cannot be taken at face value must show that it cannot be taken at face value. While Watchmen (who claims his internet research is his qualification to “translate” Egyptian) and other egyptian “historians” show us wonderful examples of how none of them agree on even the first and simple symbol of the bird, they are all trying to assign different and conflicting values to an egyptian story. This cannot tell them if it is a hebrew redaction or not, nor what the symbols meant inside a hebrew redaction of Egyptian symbols.

None of them are considering the basic fact that the claim is that this record is different because it is NOT telling an egyptian story. It is a redacted hebrew story, attempting to be told in egyptian symbology. AND, the redactor is attempting to use “stock” egyptian symbols to represent foreign concepts and/or he must modify the standard symbols to have new meaning.

Mixing of stock and standard symbols

I already gave a simple example of mixing of symbols, showing that I use german words, written in greek letters that appears below my name “Clear” in all of my posts (there is one at the bottom of this post as well). However examples of the effect of this mixing of symbols is happening all around us.

Americans can say “you are welcome” whereas in proper spanish, one cannot literally say the same thing and mean the same thing. The “Por nada” (for nothing) they offer literally means “for nothing” instead of “you’re welcome”. The transliteration “you-are-well-come” is simply “gibberish” in Spanish (and transliteration IS what the egyptian “translators” are attempting). It is NOT the same as either translation OR interpretation. The mix of words and concepts are merely approximations, yet it is the mixture that causes problems.

How does a hebrew redactor transmit an ancient hebrew story, using stock and unyielding egyptian symbology?

Can he do it any more accurately and literally than the mexican is able to translate “you are welcome” in his language?

Are we it correct to expect that this could be done?

How does a hebrew redactor, for example, tell the story of the hebrew God, who is different than the egyptian Gods? (And he must tell a story about Abraham and the Hebrew God, but must use stock Egyptian symbols having a meaning that is foreign to the hebrew symbol set......). For example, one could try to tell the story of Jesus and the crucifixion and the atonement using stock symbology of the Norse and their Gods. Does one use Odin in the place of the Hebrew God? How does one then accurately tell a hebrew/Christian story using Norse symbology?

This is one difference that I see between the two arguments. One side is forcing the symbols into a pre-conceived and artificial mold that they can never fit, and then simply pointing out that it does not fit. The LDS respond “well duh!”, that is what we claimed in the first place! It isn't a stock Egyptian story...

The correct approach is evaluating the symbols using the claims the story makes for itself and seeing if it fits into the external historical world it claims for itself. And, as I've demonstrated, the doctrines within the Book of Abraham seems to fit into that ancient doctrinal world and it’s world views with impossibly correct preciseness.

This is another reason the arguments have gone on for almost 200 years without any conclusion at all regarding the facsimile. Obviously, the historical fact is that Joseph Smith restored much of early Judeo-Christian theology. The question is, how could he have done this without revelation. It is the question watchmen could not, and did not attempt to answer.

Clear
σιτωδρω

Last edited:

Prestor John

Hi Prestor John :

1) Firstly : I was, honestly, not trying to embarrass Watchmen, but merely to point out the compete absurdity of his silly premise and it's position.

Watchmen offered multiple interpretations in his O.P. which conflict with Joseph Smiths explanation. I used his #1 example. Watchmens' interpretation of the Bird in the facsimile is “The spirit or “ba” of Hor (The deceased fellow)

However, his own interpretations are, according to multiple Egyptologists (who he himself sites) incorrect.

Deveria says the bird is “the soul of Osiris under the form of a hawk,..., Spaulding also accepts Deverias authority. Petrie says the bird “is the hawk Horus”. Breasted says the bird represents “Isis” in the hawk form. Sayce, mace, and Mercer were either unable or unwilling to commit to a meaning of anything in the facsimile. Neither does Budge use this symbol for a persons “ba” in almost 700 pages of his interpretation of an entire Book of the Dead. So while watchmen claims : "My interpretation is correct because it comes from modern Egyptologists..", he then has to tell us why his egyptologist is correct against all of the above egyptologists who say he is incorrect.

For example, If a reader simply googles the symbol for the egyptian "ba" as a hieroglyph (i.e. not as a three dimensional necklass or talisman), then it is easily seen that Watchmens claim looks nothing like the egyptian "ba" (though the internet IS the source of watchmens' qualification to interpret egyptian according to him).

My point was that when watchmen offered readers erroneous and bad data and then pointed out that smith disagrees with that bad and erroneous data, it doesn’t show Smith was wrong at all. It simply shows a willingness to use bad data to influence others. This doesn’t tell anything about Smith. It tells us something about Watchmen.

2) Secondly : the test Watchmen wants to subject the Facsimile to, cannot prove what he seems to want to prove to himself. For example :

The depiction is not a standard Egyptian hypostele :

The early egyptologists, (set up by Spaulding) said that the scene was : “a well-known scene, (mercer) “merely the usual scene,” (Lithgoe) “figures...well known to Egyptologists and ...easy of interpretation,” (Mercer) “depicted...unnumbered thousands of times.”, then one might suppose that the experts could come to some agreement on what these simple and obvious scenes should mean. However, all of them disagreed on each of the items in the facsimile and none agreed on everything. It was a "keystone cops" attempt to translate a basic "Dick and Jane" difficultly level that resulted in many embarrassment to the egyptologists involved.

The Egyptologist James Breasted even claimed the facsimile was part of an incredibly common series of documents saying :
a whole nation of people who employed them in every human burial, which they prepared”.
publications of fac-similes of this resurrection scene....could be furnish in indefinite numbers.”
the three facsimiles...will be and has been found in unnumbered thousands in egyptian graves....they were in universal use among the pagan egyptians.
“to sum up,...these three facsimiles...depict the most common objects in the mortuary religion of Egypt..

Meyer, Petrie, Lythgoe, Sayce and Breasted all made similar silly statements.

However, no duplicate of this facsimile has ever been found. Not a single one. This one is different than the “unnumbered thousands in Egyptian graves” Breasted described.

Joseph Smith claimed it was different as well.

The discovery that this facsimile had no duplicate among the "unnumbered thousands" means it is different and must be examined differently.

3) Thirdly, If the facsimile is different because is it a hebrew redaction, then to prove it either true or false, one must look at it as a redaction and see if it fits or not.

Watchmens attempt to prove that the object cannot be taken at face value must show that it cannot be taken at face value. While Watchmen (who claims his internet research is his qualification to “translate” Egyptian) and other egyptian “historians” show us wonderful examples of how none of them agree on even the first and simple symbol of the bird, they are all trying to assign different and conflicting values to an egyptian story. This cannot tell them if it is a hebrew redaction or not, nor what the symbols meant inside a hebrew redaction of Egyptian symbols.

None of them are considering the basic fact that the claim is that this record is different because it is NOT telling an egyptian story. It is a redacted hebrew story, attempting to be told in egyptian symbology. AND, the redactor is attempting to use “stock” egyptian symbols to represent foreign concepts (or he must modify the standard symbols to have new meaning).

Mixing of stock and standard symbols

I already gave a simple example of mixing of symbols, showing that I use german words, written in greek letters that appears below my name “Clear” in all of my posts (there is one at the bottom of this post as well). However examples of the effect of this mixing of symbols is happening all around us.

Americans can say “you are welcome” whereas in proper spanish, one cannot literally say the same thing and mean the same thing. The “Por nada” (for nothing) they offer literally means “for nothing” instead of “you’re welcome”. The transliteration “you-are-well-come” is simply “gibberish” in Spanish (and transliteration IS what the egyptian “translators” are attempting). It is NOT the same as either translation OR interpretation. The mix of words and concepts are merely approximations, yet it is the mixture that causes problems.

How does a hebrew redactor transmit an ancient hebrew story, using stock and unyielding egyptian symbology?

Can he do it any more accurately and literally than the mexican is able to translate “you are welcome” in his language?

Are we it correct to expect that this could be done?

How does a hebrew redactor, for example, tell the story of the hebrew God, who is different than the egyptian Gods?

And he must do so using a stock Egyptian symbols having a different meaning and lacking the Hebrew God?

This is one difference that I see between the two arguments. One side is forcing the symbols into a pre-conceived mold that they cannot fit, and then simply pointing out that it does not fit. The LDS respond “well duh!” The correct approach is evaluating the symbols using the claims the story makes for itself and seeing if it fits into the external historical world it claims for itself. And the Book of Abraham seems to fit into that doctrinal world and it’s world views with impossibly correct preciseness.

This is another reason the arguments have gone on for almost 200 years without any conclusion at all regarding the facsimile. Obviously however, the historical fact that Joseph Smith restored much of early Judeo-Christian theology is unquestioned. The question is, how could he have done it without revelation. It is the question watchmen could not, and did not attempt to answer.

Clear
σιτωδρω
I want to embarrass Watchmen. These lazy Millennial snowflakes need a swift kick in the behind.

Hopefully it will give his brain a jump start.

Clear

Premium Member
Prestor John said : " I want to embarrass Watchmen. These lazy Millennial snowflakes need a swift kick in the behind. Hopefully it will give his brain a jump start."

I know that engaging in these disagreements will cause embarrassment (sometimes to myself...), but, as I said, I do NOT want to embarrass Watchmen, nor do I think it is a good motive to have.

I want to look at the historical data and come to a friendly agreement with him. I want to be his friend. It might not happen, but it is still what I want.
I do not think he is a "lazy Millennial snowflake" but instead, think he is probably similar to myself with similar motives in that he is on this spiritual journey and is in the process of trying to make meaningful models of existence.
I think his brain is fine and that he, like the rest of us, is simply inside a process of improvement and increasing intelligence and dealing with challenges different than I am dealing with and perhaps, doing better than I might do in his position.

I hope your journey is good Prestor John, just as I honestly hope watchmens journey is good and he finds happiness and contentment.

Clear
σιφιφυω

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
How are you so incapable of understanding what Clear has said and asked you?

Is it willful belligerence or are you really that dense?

This is hypocritical because that is what you are doing now.

Your head is so deep in that sand that you don't even realize how thoroughly Clear has destroyed your position.

You must be a special little snowflake.

Joseph's translation of the facsimile is wrong. It's as clear as day. Pun intended.

Prestor John

Prestor John said : " I want to embarrass Watchmen. These lazy Millennial snowflakes need a swift kick in the behind. Hopefully it will give his brain a jump start."

I know that engaging in these disagreements will cause embarrassment (sometimes to myself...), but, as I said, I do NOT want to embarrass Watchmen, nor do I think it is a good motive to have.

I want to look at the historical data and come to a friendly agreement with him. I want to be his friend. It might not happen, but it is still what I want.
I do not think he is a "lazy Millennial snowflake" but instead, think he is probably similar to myself with similar motives in that he is on this spiritual journey and is in the process of trying to make meaningful models of existence.
I think his brain is fine and that he, like the rest of us, is simply inside a process of improvement and increasing intelligence and dealing with challenges different than I am dealing with and perhaps, doing better than I might do in his position.

I hope your journey is good Prestor John, just as I honestly hope watchmens journey is good and he finds happiness and contentment.

Clear
σιφιφυω
I respect you but I cannot abide by this position in regards to certain individuals. The coddling that has taken place over the years has crippled many people. They are unable to think for themselves.

I enjoyed your posts but you need to understand that Watchmen did not even read them. He does not respond well to facts and reasoned arguments. He cannot even consider them because he does not speak that language.

Some people some times need a swift kick in the pants. They need that shock to the system that will get their attention so they can hopefully see their error that led to it.

The Lord Jesus Christ was a master at exposing the lies and hypocrisies of His enemies. He was not afraid to embarrass them. He was not afraid to call them out.

When I first encountered Watchmen I did as you are doing now. I do that with everyone. However, when I learned how he manages himself and his arguments I quickly learned that he was one who needed that swift kick.

Coddling these people will not do you or them or anyone else any good. That is my take on it.

God bless.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I respect you but I cannot abide by this position in regards to certain individuals. The coddling that has taken place over the years has crippled many people. They are unable to think for themselves.

I enjoyed your posts but you need to understand that Watchmen did not even read them. He does not respond well to facts and reasoned arguments. He cannot even consider them because he does not speak that language.

Some people some times need a swift kick in the pants. They need that shock to the system that will get their attention so they can hopefully see their error that led to it.

The Lord Jesus Christ was a master at exposing the lies and hypocrisies of His enemies. He was not afraid to embarrass them. He was not afraid to call them out.

When I first encountered Watchmen I did as you are doing now. I do that with everyone. However, when I learned how he manages himself and his arguments I quickly learned that he was one who needed that swift kick.

Coddling these people will not do you or them or anyone else any good. That is my take on it.

God bless.

John, give me a break. This is an Internet message board, and frankly, I have more important things to do with my time. I cruise in and out and make quick points when I can. You're right. I don't read everything Clear posts because he goes on as nausuem. First rule of writing: Know your audience.

For the record, I am not a millennial. Older than that. Also, I'm a very successful attorney at one of the largest law firms in the country. I graduated top 10% in my law school and was summa cum laude at my undergrad. I also received a special award as an undergrad for being in the top 5% of writers in my class.

I simply don't have time to thoroughly go through everything on this site. It's not my priority. I'd rather spend time with my family or working. But if you want to go ahead and keep on making assumptions then go right ahead.

Prestor John

John, give me a break. This is an Internet message board, and frankly, I have more important things to do with my time. I cruise in and out and make quick points when I can. You're right. I don't read everything Clear posts because he goes on as nausuem. First rule of writing: Know your audience.
Thank you for agreeing with me. This is why I told Clear that it is useless to provide facts and reasoned arguments to people like you. You don't care about facts.
For the record, I am not a millennial. Older than that. Also, I'm a very successful attorney at one of the largest law firms in the country. I graduated top 10% in my law school and was summa cum laude at my undergrad. I also received a special award as an undergrad for being in the top 5% of writers in my class.
None of that matters. You act like a Millennial.
I simply don't have time to thoroughly go through everything on this site. It's not my priority. I'd rather spend time with my family or working. But if you want to go ahead and keep on making assumptions then go right ahead.
Millennials like to make claims without taking the time to study the evidence and they turn a blind eye to any facts that contest their opinion.

The things you have said right here in the post prove that any and all of your comments on this site are not worth reading.

Clear

Premium Member
Prestor John :

Hi :

Regarding the embarrassment of someone as a goal. I am sure the public embarrassment that inability to find any logic or any data or any rationale to forward a premise is significant (for anyone). It is a worse embarrassment if one claims to have a job where logic and data and rational thinking is expected.

While I also agree that what I am doing may be considered “coddling”, still, most of us may simply need a bit of mental “coddling” at times while maturing in our ability to think clearly and rationally and with a mature level of insight and self-honesty.

Prestor John said : "I enjoyed your posts but you need to understand that Watchmen did not even read them."

Yes, watchmen admits to this. However he was not my audience. In writing, I am mainly speaking for the benefit of individuals who WANT data and logic and rational thought underlying historical claims. I don’t feel I am disillusioned that any person I am talking to will suddenly become logical or rational in thought. Instead, it is often emotions and frustrations that cause ones problems to some extent. BUT, many of the readers ARE rational and logical in their approach to historical subjects.

Prestor john said : He does not respond well to facts and reasoned arguments. He cannot even consider them because he does not speak that language.
I agree that generic individuals often do not seem to respond to the reality of facts, nor logic, nor rational historical thoughts as it relates to religious opinions. However, I mentioned emotions and frustrations. We are all subject to them and, at times, we respond emotionally rather than through logic or data.

Prestor John said : "The Lord Jesus Christ was a master at exposing the lies and hypocrisies of His enemies."
While I do think it is hypocritical to offer a lie or to offer erroneous data to try to convince people that someone else is in error, I think willingness to offer faulty data likely betrays the desire for self-justification as a motive, rather than a lie for some other motive. I think this is a common tendency in many of us.

For example, a claim to have special training in logical thought and in research or in the accumulating and handling of data is often presented in the hope that credibility of the claim will “rub off” on a thread that is going badly. The problem is that the logical individuals may see this claim as incredulous that a person who claims training in reseach, or training in logic, or training in argument, or training in history, etc, cannot then mount any data (other than “cut and pastes”), or cannot find any logical or rational support for, or argue a historical position.

For example, If one claims such training, but then has no characteristics of someone who is trained, then it causes incredulity and disbelief that a claim is correct. Claims are often used to deflect other problems. For example, the claim that one cannot support a premise due to lack of time, but then spends a lot of time in the forum, then the claim to lack of time seems disingenuous.

If a person claims to be a professional writer, then cannot actually write well, then the claim may feel disingenuous.

Something is amiss in many such claims to training in logic and rational thinking and claims to have good data and skills OUTSIDE of the forum while not having those qualities INSIDE the forum. There is a problem when these claims do not match reality.

At any rate, my audience will already have seen the many, many, many examples I gave them regarding specific and authentic restorations of specific doctrines from early Judeo-Christian worldviews that Joseph restored to modern consciousness without having source documents to do it all.

While there are some that have not asked themselves the question as to how Joseph Smith did this without revelation, the thinkers among my audience will have pondered the question.

At any rate, I do not think that I need to try to embarrass anyone as a goal.

I hope your journey is good as I hope watchmens journey in life becomes good and happy.

Clear
ακεισεω

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Please keep in mind rules 1 and 3:
1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

3. Trolling and Bullying
Where Rule 1 covers personal attacks, Rule 3 governs other behaviors and content that can generally be described as being a jerk. Unacceptable behaviors and content include:

1) Content (whether words or images) that most people would find needlessly offensive, especially when such content is posted just to get a rise out of somebody and/or is not part of a reasoned argument.
2) Defamation, slander, or misrepresentation of a member's beliefs/arguments, or that of a particular group, culture, or religion. This includes altering the words of another member to change their meaning when using the quote feature.

3) Antagonism, bullying, or harassment - including but not limited to personal attacks, slander, and misrepresentation - of a member across multiple content areas of the forums. Repeatedly targeting or harassing members of particular groups will also be considered bullying.

Clear

Premium Member
Quagmire - Just in case you were referring at least partly to my post, I have edited it. Please let me know if it seems unkind or bullying in it's present form.

Prestor John

Prestor John :

Hi :

Regarding the embarrassment of someone as a goal. I am sure the public embarrassment that inability to find any logic or any data or any rationale to forward a premise is significant (for anyone). It is a worse embarrassment if one claims to have a job where logic and data and rational thinking is expected.

While I also agree that what I am doing may be considered “coddling”, still, most of us may simply need a bit of mental “coddling” at times while maturing in our ability to think clearly and rationally and with a mature level of insight and self-honesty.

Prestor John said : "I enjoyed your posts but you need to understand that Watchmen did not even read them."

Yes, watchmen admits to this. However he was not my audience. In writing, I am mainly speaking for the benefit of individuals who WANT data and logic and rational thought underlying historical claims. I don’t feel I am disillusioned that any person I am talking to will suddenly become logical or rational in thought. Instead, it is often emotions and frustrations that cause ones problems to some extent. BUT, many of the readers ARE rational and logical in their approach to historical subjects.

Prestor john said : He does not respond well to facts and reasoned arguments. He cannot even consider them because he does not speak that language.
I agree that generic individuals often do not seem to respond to the reality of facts, nor logic, nor rational historical thoughts as it relates to religious opinions. However, I mentioned emotions and frustrations. We are all subject to them and, at times, we respond emotionally rather than through logic or data.

Prestor John said : "The Lord Jesus Christ was a master at exposing the lies and hypocrisies of His enemies."
While I do think it is hypocritical to offer a lie or to offer erroneous data to try to convince people that someone else is in error, I think willingness to offer faulty data likely betrays the desire for self-justification as a motive, rather than a lie for some other motive. I think this is a common tendency in many of us.

For example, a claim to have special training in logical thought and in research or in the accumulating and handling of data is often presented in the hope that credibility of the claim will “rub off” on a thread that is going badly. The problem is that the logical individuals may see this claim as incredulous that a person who claims training in reseach, or training in logic, or training in argument, or training in history, etc, cannot then mount any data (other than “cut and pastes”), or cannot find any logical or rational support for, or argue a historical position.

For example, If one claims such training, but then has no characteristics of someone who is trained, then it causes incredulity and disbelief that a claim is correct. Claims are often used to deflect other problems. For example, the claim that one cannot support a premise due to lack of time, but then spends a lot of time in the forum, then the claim to lack of time seems disingenuous.

If a person claims to be a professional writer, then cannot actually write well, then the claim may feel disingenuous.

Something is amiss in many such claims to training in logic and rational thinking and claims to have good data and skills OUTSIDE of the forum while not having those qualities INSIDE the forum. There is a problem when these claims do not match reality.

At any rate, my audience will already have seen the many, many, many examples I gave them regarding specific and authentic restorations of specific doctrines from early Judeo-Christian worldviews that Joseph restored to modern consciousness without having source documents to do it all.

While there are some that have not asked themselves the question as to how Joseph Smith did this without revelation, the thinkers among my audience will have pondered the question.

At any rate, I do not think that I need to try to embarrass anyone as a goal.

I hope your journey is good as I hope watchmens journey in life becomes good and happy.

Clear
ακεισεω
I think you are doing a good job.

Clear

Premium Member
I think you are doing a good job.

Thank you so much Prestor John

Does it make sense that if a hebrew redactor, is using egyptian symbols to tell a Hebrew story (instead of hebrew symbols), then one can never, ever prove either true or false by simply pointing out the symbolism is not standard egyptian usage of specific glyphs of one period or another?

Clear
νετωνεω

Prestor John

Thank you so much Prestor John

Does it make sense that if a hebrew redactor, is using egyptian symbols to tell a Hebrew story (instead of hebrew symbols), then one can never, ever prove either true or false by simply pointing out the symbolism is not standard egyptian usage of specific glyphs of one period or another?

Clear
νετωνεω
Of course.

Watchmen

Premium Member
If Joseph Smith was a prophet, why do modern Egyptologists disagree with his translation of the papyri? We need go no further than the facsimile to see he was incorrect:

View attachment 13535

Let's go back to the OP. Let me ask this: Does ANYONE have ANY evidence that demonstrates Joseph's interpretations of the facsimiles are correct?