• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body Modification

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
He's the one who appeared on "The X Files", right? I remember liking his character.

Thank you for bringing up the name, C1. I was too half-awake last night to even think of looking it up. Am I remembering incorrectly that he is, himself, a member of the Huron nation?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
His name is Dennis Avner. By modding himself this way, he's following a very old Huron tradition of transforming himself into his Totem Animal.
I saw this guy on "Ripley's Believe It or Not." The piece was mainly about him getting the plugs implanted in his upper lip that allows him to screw in the artificial whiskers and how excited he was about it. And of course the point of the show is to point out how "strange" he is, but he came off as a loon. Your explanation makes it seem somewhat more reasonable but I'm still skeptical. Googling "Huron transform totem" led mostly to pages and pages of this guy claiming that he's following an old Huron tradition. The actual Huron tradition is to use masks and body paint.

I have no problem with piercings or tattoos or scarification. I've had multiple body piercings myself, tho I've taken many of them out with age. And I would get a tattoo except that I'm the type who has trouble with commitment. ;)

I do however start to get uncomfortable around people who have a ton of body modification done. And no, I can't give a quantitative answer as to how much is too much. It's just that at some point I start to suspect that they are doing this as a means of escaping something that's really bothering them, or that it's some OCD thing. (And I don't mean to belittle OCD, I suffer from a bit of it myself.) That basically, they turn to body modification because it's something that they feel they can control in their lives when really it's something else that needs to be dealt with.

That is what I thought of Mr. Avner. And yes, he did make me uncomfortable because of that. (He reminded me of the woman who spent a fortune getting plastic surgery done to look more and more like a Barbie doll. shudder... ) But it's not something I commonly feel. A tattoo here and there... some piercings... I quite like the labret (lower lip) pierce. sexy! :D

wicca_woman

831...J&J
i remember watching a show on this man! heavens, i don't know how he'd find a job (i hope he has, though). he looks like a cartoon character, really.

personally, i have no body modifications. my room mate has a cute little nose ring, which looks super on her. i hear body modification can be addicting. once you get one tattoo or piercing, it's likely you'll want more.

i had my toungue pierced (did not wish for more piercings , not that it hurt because it really didn't)
I have four tattoos and still want more

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
ya, i think i'd sooner get a tattoo than a piercing. what kind are you thinking of? **hopes she'll scan a few**

I want a tribal design on my lower back, feathers on my shoulder blades, a rather large sun in the middle of my back with a symbol for spirit in the middle of the sun, I think that's it... for now ;) Do we have a thread for showing pictures of our tattoos? If so, I'll post some pics of the one I have and my drawings there.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
This is an extreme example of body modification........

376.jpg

Would you feel comfortable with any body modification? Why or why not?

Do you feel comfortable near people who have done this to themselves? Why or why not?

I saw him on a (Discovery?) show. He seemed friendly, but I think I'd pause if I saw him on the street. :D

Circle_One

He's the one who appeared on "The X Files", right? I remember liking his character.
Yep, that's him :)

Thank you for bringing up the name, C1. I was too half-awake last night to even think of looking it up. Am I remembering incorrectly that he is, himself, a member of the Huron nation?

You're very welcome, Meggie.

And you're right, Dennis is Huron and Lakota.