• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body Modification

Bishka

Veteran Member
This is an extreme example of body modification........

376.jpg

Would you feel comfortable with any body modification? Why or why not?

Do you feel comfortable near people who have done this to themselves? Why or why not?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As much as I would like to say yes, it would not matter, this always isn't so. I feel very uncomfortable around people with piercings in their bottom lip or in their tongue, although not because I think it is a sin or anything but instead because it makes me feel squeamish (it is not because it is disgusting but because my own nerve endings in my tongue and below my bottom are very sensitive and it would cause a lot of pain). As for tatoos, they usually don't bother me. It would take me awhile to get used to the person in the picture you posted, but once I get used to it, I suppose it would not matter, especially if the person was a good person.:foot:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Actually, if I remember correctly, this has a lot to do with philosophical underpinnings. (Sorry, I just gotta make trouble! :D ) I believe that the man pictured began the 'body modification' process to look more like his spirit animal. Pretty much to have his outside reflect his inside more, so to speak.

I think it would depend on what sort of body modification one is talking about in knowing what I'd be comfortable with. For me, getting my ears pierced was 'extreme' and if I were to ever get a tattoo, I imagine that I would have reached my personal comfort level. On the other hand, if it makes people feel better to physically change themselves, I would hope I'd be comfortable with that idea, too.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Those pictures honestly scare me a bit, and that's saying alot cuz I don't scare easily. I would so not be in the same room with her if I didn't have to. I wouldn't be scared she'd hurt me, moreso I'd stare at her with an astonished expression. Hmmm, didn't she wonder how she'd be able to work? Unless she has such an occupation that would welcome the look.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Appearances CAN tell a story, but not always.

This person has put a lot of time and effort to LOOK this way. We would do them a disservice if we were to disregard that. There is no way to overlook that kind of extremism.

However, there are body modifications which are congenital or inadvertent (like scars from an accident. These are the type that really make no difference to me, other than to indicate a past trauma.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hmmmm, I think I would be a little bit uncomfortable, to be honest, for a few minutes until I can get to know this person a bit more. I think it's only because it's so out-of-the-ordinary that it would almost seem as if the modifications are an extreme attempt to "mask" his inner self. But, start chatting about something, like, British humour or maybe differing genres of music and the discomfort would be kaput.

Peace,
Mystic

ayani

i remember watching a show on this man! heavens, i don't know how he'd find a job (i hope he has, though). he looks like a cartoon character, really.

personally, i have no body modifications. my room mate has a cute little nose ring, which looks super on her. i hear body modification can be addicting. once you get one tattoo or piercing, it's likely you'll want more.

Ðanisty

If I saw this person, I'd probably approach them to talk about their look. I wouldn't be bothered at all.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
i hear body modification can be addicting. once you get one tattoo or piercing, it's likely you'll want more.

Hehe, I have one tattoo and I want more! I have them all drawn up and planned... now I just need the money.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
that person is very strange looking but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable around them. I don't care what somebody else wants to do to themselves if it doesn't hurt others. I have to admit I would probably stare at them a lot though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
i remember watching a show on this man! heavens, i don't know how he'd find a job (i hope he has, though). he looks like a cartoon character, really.
If I remember correctly, he works for a power company and works on poles? I don't remember the details, but I do remember him climbing something.

I find it fascinating that people would go that distance to look the way they want to, knowing that a big part of society will shun them, and a job will be extremely hard to find.

Circle_One

Actually, if I remember correctly, this has a lot to do with philosophical underpinnings. (Sorry, I just gotta make trouble! :D ) I believe that the man pictured began the 'body modification' process to look more like his spirit animal. Pretty much to have his outside reflect his inside more, so to speak.

I think it would depend on what sort of body modification one is talking about in knowing what I'd be comfortable with. For me, getting my ears pierced was 'extreme' and if I were to ever get a tattoo, I imagine that I would have reached my personal comfort level. On the other hand, if it makes people feel better to physically change themselves, I would hope I'd be comfortable with that idea, too.

His name is Dennis Avner. By modding himself this way, he's following a very old Huron tradition of transforming himself into his Totem Animal.

As for those asking about his job, he's a computer repairman.

As for the questions Becks asked, I think it's probably obvious that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with someone "like this", nor would I have any problem with them. The majority of my friends are extremely modded as it is.

Often, those with the most frightening exteriors, have the softest interiors. All it takes is getting passed your ideals and discomfort about the way one looks to find what really lies beneath it all.

Bishka

Veteran Member
His name is Dennis Avner. By modding himself this way, he's following a very old Huron tradition of transforming himself into his Totem Animal.

As for those asking about his job, he's a computer repairman.

As for the questions Becks asked, I think it's probably obvious that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with someone "like this", nor would I have any problem with them. The majority of my friends are extremely modded as it is.

Often, those with the most frightening exteriors, have the softest interiors. All it takes is getting passed your ideals and discomfort about the way one looks to find what really lies beneath it all.

And this is why we love you Jo!

You are ana amzing woman and see into peopels hearts when others can't.

Nanda

Polyanna
I think it's neat. I like the guy who calls himself "The Enigma." He's covered in puzzle peices.

ayani

Hehe, I have one tattoo and I want more! I have them all drawn up and planned... now I just need the money.

ya, i think i'd sooner get a tattoo than a piercing. what kind are you thinking of? **hopes she'll scan a few**