• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black hockey player called "Dark guy in the middle'

Shad

Veteran Member
People seem to be forgetting what happened to his brother a few months ago. This is why people are upset about it.

Shad

Veteran Member
If you are not a hockey fan that is reasonable. Still there is some legitimate concerns about the article due to previous events with his brother.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Im thinking such a comment would make the "dark guy in the middle" more popular than ever. Guess it all has to do with context.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Jeremy Wariner, the former world and olympic champion over 400 meters used to be called "White Lightnin.'" He was even introduced as such at the 2008 Olympic trials. Nobody seemed to mind. Albeit "White Lightnin' streaks to win" is a better headline than something like "Chocolate Rocket comes first," for many reasons.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
People seem to be forgetting what happened to his brother a few months ago. This is why people are upset about it.
That might help put this in context. I couldn't care less about sports here, much less in ferrin places. I thought Canada was so race blind you had to tell them when someone was black.

What I took away from wireys post is that self-righteous PC prigs are more a problem than racists. But I was prejudiced from the start. Wirey is scum.

Tom

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
They're identifying a player with a number on his jersey by identifying the difference in skin colour. I guarantee they had a picture that showed the group and his number.

It was an unecessary descriptive and lacked professionalism.

The Sun changed the caption and apologized.

What more is needed?

Alceste

Vagabond
"Dark guy" isn't an inherently racist phrase, but you have to admit that being identified in a group photo based on a superficial attribute would probably be annoying, and is certainly unprofessional. It would be like a paper identifying Dolly Parton as "the one with the massive hooters" instead of "pictured here on the left".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If I were being elevated to Canadian hockey Monarchy you could point out my skinny butt or pale skin or anything you want. Just Do It.

The dark guy in the middle is one of the most priveledged people on this planet. I got no sympathy.

Tom

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
"Dark guy" isn't an inherently racist phrase, but you have to admit that being identified in a group photo based on a superficial attribute would probably be annoying, and is certainly unprofessional. It would be like a paper identifying Dolly Parton as "the one with the massive hooters" instead of "pictured here on the left".

Yes and it's not like Jordan is unique. Both of his older brothers preceeded him in the NHL.
The paper apologized. Its done.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
It's not racist, its just an awkward to describe someone. Racist would be "The Urban guy" or "The Negro in the middle". All I would say to him is "Wow man, that was....weird" I mean he made one offhand weird comment in the moment. I do that all the time. Relax on this petty stuff. Be more worried about this
New Video Shows John Crawford Fatally Shot By Police In Wal-Mart

No indictment for this by a grand jury. This is the stuff that scares me, and yet some people still wonder why black people avoid police like the plague. :(

Huey09

He who struggles with God
Well, they couldn't call'm the "white guy in the middle", now, could they?

Aww but think of the confusion it would have had! Everyone either saying the announcer is claiming another black celebrity like Tiger Woods and OJ (Both not the best choices I would have taken Shaquille O'Neal haha) Or that Canada is so progressive they've gone color blind:D

Alceste

Vagabond
If I were being elevated to Canadian hockey Monarchy you could point out my skinny butt or pale skin or anything you want. Just Do It.

The dark guy in the middle is one of the most priveledged people on this planet. I got no sympathy.

Tom
He's not the one who complained.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's not racist, its just an awkward to describe someone. Racist would be "The Urban guy" or "The Negro in the middle". All I would say to him is "Wow man, that was....weird" I mean he made one offhand weird comment in the moment. I do that all the time. Relax on this petty stuff. Be more worried about this
New Video Shows John Crawford Fatally Shot By Police In Wal-Mart

No indictment for this by a grand jury. This is the stuff that scares me, and yet some people still wonder why black people avoid police like the plague. :(
I don't wonder. I've seen both faces of the police - the friendly one where they see you as a citizen they are supposed to protect and serve, and the other one where they see you as a perp. You don't want to be crossing paths with police at all, ever, if your skin colour makes them sort you and everyone who looks like you into the "perp" category on sight.