• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black and white magic

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
eh not really but it can be useful when comparing just say angelic magic vs lhp magic. to me magic is like an oil slick techno colored in the sun

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I imagine if magic existed, magic would simply be magic. You can use electricity to power a defibrillator or to power a parrilla, but there isn't what you would call black electricity or white electricity.

Edit: I hope no one minds me posting in this DIR.

Last edited:

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I think the difference is rather subjective. It can depend on motives and methods. I use both. Some people regard black magic as evil, and I guess it can be but it doesn't have to be. I have always regarded magic as magic and was always prepared to use whatever was necessary long before I became a Satanist. I'd say that black magic is generally more self serving and sometimes employs methods or entities which some people consider taboo.

Erebus

I imagine if magic existed, magic would simply be magic. You can use electricity to power a defibrillator or to power a parrilla, but there isn't what you would call black electricity or white electricity.

Edit: I hope no one minds me posting in this DIR.

That's a pretty good analogy :)

If somebody wants to break down magic into colours/types they're more than welcome to do so, but their categories will always be subjective. Usually people categorize magic in accordance with intent and aesthetic (Red magic for sex, white magic for healing and so on).

For me personally magic is just magic. It's that hard to define grey area between the psychological and the supernatural.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I mostly agree with what Shyanekh said; such categories represent a map of the territory. People can draw their maps as they see fit, so there are varying opinions depending on who you ask about it. Generally speaking, I've noticed that actual practitioners of spellcraft don't tend to believe in categorizing it as "black" or "white" but that outsiders often do because that is what is portrayed in popular culture. There are exceptions to this on both ends.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is there such thing and what is the distinction?
White typically means intent to avoid harm was present. Black typically means intent to induce harm was present.

All in all, not a very clear distinction, as I could easily desire to harm you in order to avoid further harm to you (tough love).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The harm distinction is a terrible one for other reasons. Everything we do causes harm to something. It may not be harm to something we value, but destruction is destruction. Hell, who knows how many microbial life forms I'm slaughtering just by sitting here and breathing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depending on your ethical systems, intent is irrelevant. Outcome is all that matters to some. Intentions can be lied about. Tangible outcomes cannot.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. What I'm saying is that distinguishing black and white magic based on intent can be a dicey enterprise depending on where your ethical standards derive from. If intent is not part of your ethical equations, it makes little sense to use that as the basis for discriminating black from white magic. To someone else, it might make more sense to classify it based on the actual results, not the intent.

Binding spells are a great example of this. Regardless of what your intent is for them, in many causes the outcome is to cause harm to the other person. For this reason they are often regarded as a taboo form of spellcraft. Doesn't matter to some whether or not your intention was to protect someone (a "white magic" goal) from the bound person. The outcome still includes harm ("black magic"). Am I explaining this better?

jasonwill2

Black and White are not colors....

Yes it is.

White is the reflection of all colors, yet if you mix all the colors of paint together... you eventually get a very dark if not black color. Techically though, black is the absence of color. However white IS a color, a combination of all colors in the same way that green is a combination of yellow and blue.

Sireal

Setian
Interesting, would you care to elaborate? :D

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Absorption of light/reflection of light.-not color. Magic is neither Black nor White, it is simply magic, everyone uses it. Some use it ignorantly-White magic. Some use it from a highly informed perspective-Black magic.

Clear/Understood Intent, free of lust for results- Black magic (Left hand path)-acceptance of Self.

Unfocused, ill informed mysticism/desire-White magic(Right hand path)-rejection of Self.

Xeper