• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre Creatures

Cynic

extr_snottites.jpg

Diana Northup can get extreme about extremophiles, microbes that thrive in environments that would terminate us humans in seconds flat. "We think we're superior beings, but these guys are really where it's at," says Northup, a microbiologist and associate professor at the University of New Mexico and an associate in the university's Museum of Southwestern Biology.

As often as she can, Northup and other members of SLIME (Subsurface Life in Mineral Environments), a loose affiliation of cave scientists working on geomicrobiological interactions in caves, don their caving gear and descend into caverns like Lechuguilla and Mexico's Cueva de Villa Luz ("Cave of the Lighted House"). They go in search of bacteria that gobble up hydrogen sulfide gas and other noxious chemicals like we do bread and water. As this interview reveals, she and other SLIME members are finding that these bizarre creatures may hold clues not only to the earliest life on Earth but to the possibility of life in outer space.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/caves/extremophiles.html
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/cave_slime.html

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
050908_white_giraffe_02.jpg

Image of rare white giraffe photographed in Africa. Credit: Charles Foley/Wildlife Conservation Society

Wow! I wonder how it managed to survive into adulthood...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
That's true, but in the past when researchers have attempted to use things like nontoxic spraypaint to mark giraffes, they've been picked out from the 'crowd' by predators... I'm really amazed a white giraffe survived as long as it did. Maybe there are less predators in the area?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
True? Then that's truly amazing, and a tribute to African Wildlife parks, and how well they are protecting from the evil shifty poachers !!!

*hates poachers* :149:

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Kool sight Cynic.

I think that extremophiles are the most fascinating. THose bacterial microbes that produced oxygen billions of years ago were producing something that was toxic to other microbes. I can't cite the facts exactly but scientists have found bacteria miles down below the surface of the earth where life as we know it cannot exist. This is what excites those who are looking for life on other planets.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
molerat.jpg
Naked mole rats.
They have some questionable habits, such as feeding their babies feces once they're weaned.
They're sort of like mamalian termites or bees, in that only the 'queen' breeds, and they apparently have soldier and worker castes.