1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre Creatures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cynic, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +181
    That creature kind of reminds me of a Pangolin. Which, sadly, is also endangered.
    [​IMG]

2. !Fluffy!

!Fluffy! Lacking Common Sense

Ratings:
    +331
    Cynic, I love this thread! Thanks for posting the great pics.

Here is the axolotl:

[​IMG]

The Axolotl is a fascinating creature for a number of reasons, including its grotesque appearance, its ability to regenerate, and primarily the fact that it exhibits the phenomenon known as neoteny. Ordinarily, amphibians undergo metamorphosis from egg to larva (the tadpole in frogs is a larva), and finally to adult form. The Axolotl, along with a number of other amphibians, remains in its larval form throughout its life. This means that it retains its gills and fins, and it doesn't develop the protruding eyes, eyelids and characteristics of other adult salamanders. It grows much larger than a normal larval salamander, and it reaches sexual maturity in this larval stage. Another term to describe this state is "perennibranchiate". The animal is completely aquatic, and although it does possess rudimentary lungs, it breathes primarily through its gills and to a lesser extent, its skin.

http://www.axolotl.org/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buttercup

Buttercup Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,697
    I don't think this fish is grotesque....I think he's cute. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Ody

Ody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Speaking of such amphibians
    [​IMG]

MUDPUPPIES! :)

5. Ody

Ody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. !Fluffy!

!Fluffy! Lacking Common Sense

Ratings:
    +331
    I know Buttercup, I thought it was sooo cute too! I don't know why they called little axolotl grotesque. It reminds me of Hello Kitty!

(it's a salamander, by the way.)

7. Buttercup

Buttercup Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,697
    LMAO! I guess the first clue should have been the legs huh? Doh! Actually I was so busy looking at his cute face and little smile I overlooked the legs. :eek: