• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bisexuality and promiscuity?

I'm bisexual myself and I was wondering something: bisexuals are often seen as promiscuous, sexually-experimental people. Why?

I mean, I've had relationships but I was faithful to all of them and things were pretty 'safe' sexually.

Humanistheart

I'm bisexual myself and I was wondering something: bisexuals are often seen as promiscuous, sexually-experimental people. Why?

I mean, I've had relationships but I was faithful to all of them and things were pretty 'safe' sexually.

I'd say ignorance is at the heart of this myth. Although, all my bi friends are quite promiscous. Still, what's wrong with that?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
"Promiscous" by definition is wrong. The very word has a negative connotation that implies immoral behavior.
–adjective
1.characterized by or involving indiscriminate mingling or association, esp. having sexual relations with a number of partners on a casual basis.
2.consisting of parts, elements, or individuals of different kinds brought together without order.
3.indiscriminate; without discrimination.
4.casual; irregular; haphazard.
promiscuous definition | Dictionary.com

Sounds pretty negative to me o_O.

If you want to imply that their behavior is not morally wrong, then use a different word ;).

Zephyr

Moved on
I think it has the same roots as people assuming that all gays are swishy girly-men. It's just that people only recognize bisexuality when they see promiscuous folks, completely missing "straight-acting" guys like me.

Humanistheart

"Promiscous" by definition is wrong. The very word has a negative connotation that implies immoral behavior.

promiscuous definition | Dictionary.com

Sounds pretty negative to me o_O.

If you want to imply that their behavior is not morally wrong, then use a different word ;).

I see no use of words that imply immoral behavior, except maybe in #4, so I must disagree with your evaluation there. Besides, words change all the time, and are updated to fit the context of their current common usage. This makes argueing symantics a little pointless in the long run.

Duck

I see no use of words that imply immoral behavior, except maybe in #4, so I must disagree with your evaluation there. Besides, words change all the time, and are updated to fit the context of their current common usage. This makes argueing symantics a little pointless in the long run.

I think that the "immoral" behavior implied resides in the first definition. For some reason having a large number of sexual partners is considered to be "immoral." I think that particular connotation of the word comes in part from the whole virgin wedding idea.

But to the OP, I think that bi-sexual people are considered automatically to be "greedy", like they weren't satisfied having one potential set of partners and had to go for two. There is also a tendency for bi-men to actually be considered gay, even within the LGBT community, because people want to have clear delineations for categorization of "us" and "them". So Bi-folk tend to get a bit of flak because they don't necessarily fit into a clear us-them dichotomy.

Inky

A lot of people seem to have the impression that you have to be sexually active with both genders to be bisexual, which is very silly. Maybe that's where the promiscuity thing comes from.

Maybe it has to do with bisexuality implying you don't have one image of an ideal partner. While most monosexuals (i.e. straight or gay folks) have a wide variety of people they're attracted to, bisexuality puts that more in the spotlight.

michaelnicko

God designed man to be with woman its that simple .Satan corrupted the purity of Gods law .Those who fall under the grip of Satan must pray to God for strength to over come this sin.Once you gain the spirit you will change and become what your creator had intended ,a balanced universe between Man and woman.WE will all pray for you .

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sorry, I'm quite happy with who I am, and have no need to prostrate myself to those who aren't. Oh, and btw, I've reported your off-topic proselytization.

JamieA1A

I have no doubt that a bisexual person could remain faithful to just one person just as homo or hetero sexual can. We all can be attracted to other people but we don't have to act upon such attractions.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Sorry, I'm quite happy with who I am, and have no need to prostrate myself to those who aren't. Oh, and btw, I've reported your off-topic proselytization.
I won't try to argue the whole "proselytization" thing (if I understand correctly, then any attempt at sharing your beliefs would be "proselytization"), but it was NOT off topic. Simply put, he stated that God created us to be heterosexual (man + woman), and that Satan had corrupted us.
While it will probably get him torn apart by anti-Christian fundamentalists (there's a few, though most of the ones around here aren't fundamentalist), left-wing radicals (there's more than you would think, though most of the left-wingers here aren't that "radical" from a centrist perspective), and non-Christian people in general (majority of site), it was not off topic.
I have no doubt that a bisexual person could remain faithful to just one person just as homo or hetero sexual can. We all can be attracted to other people but we don't have to act upon such attractions.
Of course, that's common sense. Do most people seriously not know stuff like that o_O?

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I won't try to argue the whole "proselytization" thing (if I understand correctly, then any attempt at sharing your beliefs would be "proselytization"), but it was NOT off topic. Simply put, he stated that God created us to be heterosexual (man + woman), and that Satan had corrupted us.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question of why bis are stereotyped as promiscuous.

While it will probably get him torn apart by anti-Christian fundamentalists (there's a few, those most of the ones around here aren't fundamentalist), left-wing radicals (there's more than you would think, though most of the left-wingers here aren't that "radical" from a centrist perspective), and non-Christian people in general (majority of site), it was not off topic.
Yes, it was.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question of why bis are stereotyped as promiscuous.
He probably wanted you to infer that since non-heterosexuality came from satan, it was also promiscuos. (bisexuality = satan = bad = promiscuity)
A rather large stretch, but I can see a vague connection.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
He probably wanted you to infer that since non-heterosexuality came from satan, it was also promiscuos. (bisexuality = satan = bad = promiscuity)
A rather large stretch, but I can see a vague connection.
Your attempt to rationalize his spam does not impress me.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I don't consider it spam, I just consider it rather pointless and poorly organized (notice the complete lack of sources). I suppose it does fit the acronym "Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages."

I'm not trying to rationalize his spam, I'm trying to offer suggestions as to how what he said could be relevant to the discussion o_O.

But yeh, that aside, it could easily be considered proselytizing and definitely spam. I'll let him defend himself now.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
i have a feeling you are going to get booted, michaelnicko. as for the whole promiscous, bisexual thing.... I'd say that it is actually a wide variety of just about every thing said so far. yeah, not much to add to the conversation, just thought i'd give my two cents though, lol.