• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical proof the Book of Mormon is True

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Gordon B Hinkley's words regarding Christ's life, death and Resurrection. at the end is the scritpure in which proves the book of mormon to be true.
He was the great Creator. It was His finger that wrote the commandments on the Mount. It was He who left His royal courts on high and came to earth, born under the most humble of circumstances. During His brief ministry, He healed the sick, caused the blind to see, raised the dead, and rebuked the scribes and Pharisees. He was the only perfect man ever to walk the earth. All of this was part of His Father's plan. In the Garden of Gethsemane, He suffered so greatly that he sweat drops of blood as He pleaded with His Father. But this was all a part of His great atoning sacrifice. He was taken by the mob, appeared before Pilate with the mob crying for His death. He carried the cross, the instrument of His death. On Golgotha He gave His life, crying out, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).
His body was tenderly laid in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathaea. But three days later, on that first Easter morning, the tomb was emptied. Mary of Magdala spoke to Him, and He spoke to her. He appeared to His Apostles. He walked with two disciples on the road to Emmaus. And, we are told, He was seen by some 500 others (see 1 Corinthians 15:6).
He had said, "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd" (John 10:16). Accordingly, He appeared to those assembled in the land Bountiful in the Western Hemisphere. Here, He taught the people as He had taught them in the Old World. This is all recorded in detail in the Book of Mormon, which stands as a second witness of the divinity of our Lord.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Gordon B Hinkley's words regarding Christ's life, death and Resurrection. at the end is the scritpure in which proves the book of mormon to be true.

A scripture cannot prove that the Book of Mormon is true, only the confirmation of the Holy Ghost can. ;)

Hope

Princesinha
This isn't proof by any stretch of the imagination. This is shaky evidence based on loose interpretation.

I agree. The verse cited in no way proves anything. I understand that verse to simply refer to every "lost sheep" (i.e., unbeliever) who gets saved and comes into the Kingdom of God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Wouldn't it be nice if it were so easy, so cut and dried, so not open to debate? Sorry, MadHatter, while I believe the Book of Mormon to be true, the scripture you referred to doesn't prove anything. It would be fun, though, to hear you explain why you think it does.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
So you are using an interpretation of a section of a book which may or may not be true to prove that your book is true?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
2nd Nephi 29
1 But behold, there shall be many—at that day when I shall proceed to do a marvelous work among them, that I may remember my covenants which I have made unto the children of men, that I may set my hand again the second time to recover my people, which are of the house of Israel;
2 And also, that I may remember the promises which I have made unto thee, Nephi, and also unto thy father, that I would remember your seed; and that the words of your seed should proceed forth out of my mouth unto your seed; and my words shall hiss forth unto the ends of the earth, for a standard unto my people, which are of the house of Israel;

3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.

4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles?

5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.

13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.

14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.

This is a powerful scripture to me, and i hope you read it.

The events in the bible reagarding the destruction of Jerusalem, Christ's death, and resurrection/ascention, co-incide with the events in the Book of Mormon.

Here's another question, Why would Jesus only appear in one place to save the world and let everyone else dwindle in unbelief?

Answer: he didn't, he appeared to even more nations than just the americas, and those people made record of him. we do not have those records because God sees that we don't even read/listen to what he has already revealed to us. why should he give us more than what we don't even use now?

joeboonda

The "other sheep" Jesus mentions are believed by most theologians to be the gentiles as the Bible so clearly points out throughout Acts, Romans and the other Epistles. For God so loved the world. The command of Christ to the disciples was to preach the Gospel to the world BEGINNING IN JERUSALEM and out to all the world:

Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Also, I am concerned that this scripture Joseph Smith translated was said to have been given to him by angels, whereas all the scripture of the Bible was written by men directly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, thus God's Word. Nowhere in the Bible is scripture given to men by angels. This rases a red flag for me. The Bible also warns us in Galatians of angels bringing another gospel, in which Paul was defending the Gospel of Faith apart from the works of the Law: (or apart from anything else people try to add to it)

6I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

What is that Gospel? Galatians 2 says:

16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

If another gospel teaches something else in addition to being justified by faith in Christ's redemptive work on the cross, then I would wonder about it.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The "other sheep" Jesus mentions are believed by most theologians to be the gentiles as the Bible so clearly points out throughout Acts, Romans and the other Epistles. For God so loved the world. The command of Christ to the disciples was to preach the Gospel to the world BEGINNING IN JERUSALEM and out to all the world:

Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Also, I am concerned that this scripture Joseph Smith translated was said to have been given to him by angels, whereas all the scripture of the Bible was written by men directly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, thus God's Word. Nowhere in the Bible is scripture given to men by angels. This rases a red flag for me. The Bible also warns us in Galatians of angels bringing another gospel, in which Paul was defending the Gospel of Faith apart from the works of the Law: (or apart from anything else people try to add to it)

6I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

What is that Gospel? Galatians 2 says:

16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

If another gospel teaches something else in addition to being justified by faith in Christ's redemptive work on the cross, then I would wonder about it.

every revelation given to Joseph Smith was through the power of the Holy Spirit. The power to translate was given to him through the Holy Spirit.

The angel that came (The Angel Moroni, abriger of the Book of Mormon) only showed him where to find the golden plates.

-Segway - We understand that the Holy Ghost is a real personage just like the rest of the souls in heaven, but he is to be our guide and messenger, and he will recieve a body in due time just like us after all of our brothers and sisters have come to recieve a body. In other words he will be the last person born.

joeboonda

every revelation given to Joseph Smith was through the power of the Holy Spirit. The power to translate was given to him through the Holy Spirit.

The angel that came (The Angel Moroni, abriger of the Book of Mormon) only showed him where to find the golden plates.

-Segway - We understand that the Holy Ghost is a real personage just like the rest of the souls in heaven, but he is to be our guide and messenger, and he will recieve a body in due time just like us after all of our brothers and sisters have come to recieve a body. In other words he will be the last person born.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of anywhere in the Bible that an angel showed an author of any of those 66 books a plate or inscription of some sort that he then translated into scripture? Holy men of old were moved by the power of the Holy Ghost to write our scripture, they were never lead to it by an angel, that is one reason of many that I don't trust it.

Can you show me in the Bible where it says anything about the Holy Spirit of God being just like the angels (created beings) or our loved ones who have died in Heaven? God created Adam, and Eve from his rib, then they procreated and their children procreated, etc. and here we are, not direct creations of God (or we would be perfect) but procreated by parents given the ability to produce offspring. Can you show me in the Bible that in Heaven Jesus and the Holy Spirit were the same as us? Or that the Holy Spirit of God will be the last person born or will receive a body? Doesn't this line of thinking seem to pull God (the Holy Ghost) down to our level and somehow raise us up to being more closer to his level than we actually are? Show me these doctrines laid out in the Bible-not obscure passages-but taught us in the Epistles or anywhere else. Show me where it says the Holy Spirit of God Almighty will be the last person to receive a body and that the Holy Spirit of God was once just like the rest of the souls in heaven.

Does it not rather say that God has been from everlasting, that the Word (Jesus) was with God and IS God, therefore has been from everlasting along with the Holy Spirit which hovered over the earth at the beginning of creation, who is God and has always existed as God? I do not think it infers that God the Father begat God the Holy Ghost or God the Son as, (may I say it?) his spirit babies just as I do not believe that Satan a CREATED ANGEL was a spirit baby of God and once equal with Christ, nor were we. The Bible says we were children of darkness, disobedience and wrath, before we trusted Christ and were then translated into his family as children of light.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Thanks for the response. Do you know of anywhere in the Bible that an angel showed an author of any of those 66 books a plate or inscription of some sort that he then translated into scripture? Holy men of old were moved by the power of the Holy Ghost to write our scripture, they were never lead to it by an angel, that is one reason of many that I don't trust it.

Can you show me in the Bible where it says anything about the Holy Spirit of God being just like the angels (created beings) or our loved ones who have died in Heaven? God created Adam, and Eve from his rib, then they procreated and their children procreated, etc. and here we are, not direct creations of God (or we would be perfect) but procreated by parents given the ability to produce offspring. Can you show me in the Bible that we once existed as spirit babies and that Jesus and the Holy Spirit were the same as us? Or that the Holy Spirit of God will be the last person born or will receive a body? Doesn't this line of thinking seem to pull God (the Holy Ghost) down to our level and somehow raise us up to being more closer to his level than we actually are? Show me these doctrines laid out in the Bible-not obscure passages-but taught us in the Epistles or anywhere else. Show me where it says the Holy Spirit of God Almighty will be the last person to receive a body and that the Holy Spirit of God was once a 'spirit-baby'.

I said, "We understand it" and it comes from the Doctrine and Covenants Section 130:22
22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

The holy Ghost is a personage, and his role is to guide us and lead us. If he is a Spirit and a personage, then that means that he would come to the earth and gain a physical body just like the other members of the Godhead (Heavely Father and Christ). but that can only happen once his role is complete.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Does it not rather say that God has been from everlasting, that the Word (Jesus) was with God and IS God, therefore has been from everlasting along with the Holy Spirit which hovered over the earth at the beginning of creation, who is God and has always existed as God? I do not think it infers that God the Father begat God the Holy Ghost or God the Son as, (may I say it?) his spirit babies just as I do not believe that Satan a CREATED ANGEL was a spirit baby of God and once equal with Christ, nor were we. The Bible says we were children of darkness, disobedience and wrath, before we trusted Christ and were then translated into his family as children of light.

I would suggest you read the Book of Abraham in the Pearl of great Price.

We kept our first estate, we chose to follow christ in the pre-existence.

we are in our second estate, and if we keep our second estate then we shall have eternal life.

22 Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones;

23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born.

24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

27 And the Lord said: Whom shall I send? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first.

28 And the second was angry, and kept not his first estate; and, at that day, many followed after him.