• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Mary!

jimb

Premium Member
There are actually at least 30,000 denominations, mostly protestant and mostly using the same bible that catholic bishops determined to be canonical way more than 1500 years ago. Why the quotation marks, by the way?
The quotation marks is because nobody says "the Catholic denomination".

Also, the Catholic Bible has additional non-canonical "books": the apocrypha, so it is different from a Protestant Bible.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I AM a Jew. Both my parents (and grandparents and great-grandparents etc.) were Jews and I was Bar Mitzvah at age 13.
Okay. This simply means you are an Apostate, and lose your rights as a Jew. You cannot testify in a Jewish court of law, cannot marry as a Jew, cannot be buried in a Jewish cemetery, etc.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Also, the Catholic Bible has additional non-canonical "books": the apocrypha, so it is different from a Protestant Bible.
Tell me something I didn't already know. It's not different though - the books are the same basically, there are just a few more of them, along with additions to Esther and Daniel. Anyway, you might want to read them someday. There's nothing weird or defending of the Catholic faith by the way. In fact, I could be wrong on this, but I believe all of them are OT books. As you know, you and I follow the NT "rules." Anyway, many of them sound like the Song of Solomon or Psalms. Also. many different versions of non Catholic and even protestant bibles include them, even the King James bible originally had them included.

Many Protestant bibles today only include 66 books, and the Catholic bibles today include 73 books, a difference of seven books.

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
Tell me something I didn't already know. It's not different though - the books are the same basically, there are just seven more of them. I find that to be an interesting number, by the way, but I digress. Anyway, you might want to read them someday. There's nothing weird or defending of the Catholic faith by the way. In fact, I could be wrong on this, but I believe all of them are OT books.
Do you think that the use of the term 'apocryphya' is heresy?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Yes, and the canon for the Eastern Orthodox is larger than the Catholics. And the canon for the Ethiopian church is larger still. So? All it means is Christians cannot agree on a canon.

The Catholic Church of course claims not to be a denomination, but the original church from which denominations broke away. Regardless, it is a Christian group no different from Baptists or non-denominationals or Oriental Orthodox. It really doesn't matter whether you refer to it as a denomination or a church.

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
Okay. This simply means you are an Apostate, and lose your rights as a Jew. You cannot testify in a Jewish court of law, cannot marry as a Jew, cannot be buried in a Jewish cemetery, etc.
So what? I will have eternal life in Christ.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What do we have to hide then?
Luther included them in his first Bible, but most Protestants later dropped them.

Frankly, there is really nothing controversial within them with the sole exception of praying for the dead.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I really encourage people to read to deuterocanonical books and decide for themselves. The Anglican Church (Church of England) still reads them I believe. They are included in their bible. Also, the Lutheran, Methodist, and Moravian churches read from them, I believe.

jimb

Premium Member
Tell me something I didn't already know. It's not different though - the books are the same basically, there are just a few more of them, along with additions to Esther and Daniel. Anyway, you might want to read them someday. There's nothing weird or defending of the Catholic faith by the way. In fact, I could be wrong on this, but I believe all of them are OT books. As you know, you and I follow the NT "rules." Anyway, many of them sound like the Song of Solomon or Psalms. Also. many different versions of non Catholic and even protestant bibles include them, even the King James bible originally had them included.

Many Protestant bibles today only include 66 books, and the Catholic bibles today include 73 books, a difference of seven books.
I have read them and other "books" that aren't in most Bibles. If you're interested, have a look at "The New New Testament", edited by Hal Taussig. I keep my mind open to other writings that aren't "official".

jimb

Premium Member
Hebrews(!) 11:1, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for, being certain of what we don't see"