• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible has predicted COVID-19 and Judgement Day what comes shortly after it

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I have an interesting, easy read book at home called Millenium (Tom Holland).
It covers this type of concept as it relates to the period around the year 1000 AD.

Exactly as you suggest, people saw their own times as both 'modern' and 'special' and there was a lot of surety at the time by various people about various predictions, many supported by calculations which were updated as time progressed and they were proven inaccurate.

The more things change...!!!
heh heh. That's right. Things remain the same...until they don't.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“God smashes earth”? Who is talking about ‘smashing’ the Earth?
That one single sentence is what you chose to focus on? What about the other sentences you conveniently breezed right past, seizing instead on a single word choice? How is this an honest reply on your part? How is that defending your beliefs, by ignoring questions?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On what basis is it 70 years?
Do you have a reference?

(In Noah’s day, the Last Days lasted 120 years.)
That is what they taught me. You are doing 100% the same thing they were doing in force-fitting their beliefs into scripture. 1914? Where is that taught in scripture directly, and not just your puzzle-piece fitting together verses to conform to your ideas you adopted by modern hacks like Hal Lindsey?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But those who die in the LORD will live; their bodies will rise again! Those who sleep in the earth will rise up and sing for joy! For your life-giving light will fall like dew on your people in the place of the dead! Go home, my people, and lock your doors! Hide yourselves for a little while until the LORD’s anger has passed. Look! The LORD is coming from heaven to punish the people of the earth for their sins. The earth will no longer hide those who have been killed. They will be brought out for all to see.

Isaiah 26:19-21 NLT
Meh.
If the 'Lord' hates us all that much then his efforts were a waste of time, eh?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Which is precisely what they said back in the early 1980's, claiming 1914 was the beginning of the Last Days,...Maybe 1914 is purely an arbitrary fiction?

Actually, back in the 1880’s, the IBSA (later known as JW’s) were already saying 1914 was going to be a momentous year. Not quite what those pre-JW’s were hoping for......

(The New York World of August 30, 1914, explains: “The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy. For a quarter of a century past, through preachers and through press, the ‘International Bible Students’ [as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known] . . . have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible would dawn in 1914.”–The World, a New York newspaper, August 30, 1914.)

......but 1914 did prove to be a turning point in the eyes of many; how has the world fared since then?

Ever since 1914, everybody conscious of trends in the world has been deeply troubled by what has seemed like a fated and predetermined march toward ever greater disaster. Many serious people have come to feel that nothing can be done to avert the plunge towards ruin.”—Bertrand Russell, The New York Times Magazine, September 27, 1953.

The London Evening Star commented that the conflict “tore the whole world’s political setup apart. Nothing could ever be the same again. If we all get the nuclear madness out of our systems and the human race survives, some historian in the next century may well conclude that the day the world went mad was August 4, 1914.”–London Evening Star, quoted in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 5, 1960, and The Seattle Times, August 4, 1960, p. 5.

“Half a century has gone by, yet the mark that the tragedy of the Great War left on the body and soul of the nations has not faded . . . The physical and moral magnitude of this ordeal was such that nothing left was the same as before. Society in its entirety: systems of government, national borders, laws, armed forces, interstate relations, but also ideologies, family life, fortunes, positions, personal relations—everything was changed from top to bottom. . . . Humanity finally lost its balance, never to recover it to this day.” (General Charles de Gaulle, Le Monde, Nov. 12, 1968, p. 9)

Source: Mark Hunter

The chaos is worse than ever: people’s selfish attitudes and actions are not just hurting each of us more and more, but even to the point of destroying this planet.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That one single sentence is what you chose to focus on? What about the other sentences you conveniently breezed right past, seizing instead on a single word choice? How is this an honest reply on your part? How is that defending your beliefs, by ignoring questions?
Well he sort of had a point. God does not smash Earth:

hulk-smash.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think that's why I used the word smash. I've been watching the Marvel timeline of movies from beginning to end. "Hulk, smash", is a favorite line at this point. :)
Unfortunately I could not find a meme with both Hulk in the act and the printed phrase. I guess the meme artists thought it was redundant.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Last Days began in 1914. The evidence supports it.

The “world”, kosmos, means society & its arrangement / infrastructure. (Even earth, in some Scriptures, can mean society, i.e., people. — see Genesis 11:1. But Earth, as in this planet, “abideth forever.” — Ecclesiastes 1:4. Psalm 104:5 says in the NASB 1995...“He established the earth upon its foundations, So that it will not totter forever and ever.”)

It’s with this meaning of ‘world’, then, that these passages are understood: James 4:4 & 1 John 2:15-17.
Why? 1 John 5:19 & Luke 4:5-6 give us the reason.

It’s going to take God’s Kingdom to clean the Earth (Revelation 11:18), to accomplish God’s will / purpose in His own due time. — Matthew 6:9-10

I believe if it started in 1914 then the return of Jesus should have come by1984 and it didn't.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Umm... no.... Here's a cool 3D visualization of the history of pandemics. It's pretty abundantly clear Covid-19 is not the first in history. See here:

View attachment 48311
We are starting to get a better handle on what Covid19 has done in the U.S. (2nd excerpt below), and can now compare more fully with the 1918-1920 'Spanish' Flu.

I was a little surprised to see that Covid19 is actually worse here in the U.S. than the 1918-1920 flu pandemic.

The 'Spanish' Flu of 1918-1920:

The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States."
1918 Pandemic (H1N1 virus) | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

In the United States for Covid-19, we are now it appears significantly past that level of ~ 700,000 by an estimate from IHME:

A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.
New Study Estimates More Than 900,000 People Have Died Of COVID-19 In U.S.

Of course the Spanish Flu killed more worldwide.

So, we have a bifurcation. The U.S. did comparatively well vs the world in the 1918-1920 pandemic, and poorly in 2020 pandemic.

Here's what I think happened: If you watch a history of the U.S. in the 1918-1919 pandemic, you see a significant amount of social distancing (people retreating to the countryside), and even significant mask wearing in many cities (with large fines even for not wearing masks). So, the U.S. responded to the Spanish Flu with a very high level of counter measures for that time, compared to the world in general, and in 2020 a very different situation: the rest of the world responded at least as well as the U.S. generally, so far....(but it's not over yet!)

Ergo, this Covid virus group is basically a more dangerous virus than the 1918 'Spanish Flu', more deadly, and it's only from the globe's countermeasures like mask wearing and such that we will get a lower death toll....if things go well, and a new Covid variant doesn't sink us.