• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better to be United then Right?

lunamoth

Will to love
Seperate yourself. End communication. Highly restrict when in your sacred place (say your home). The help?

I think I'm finally getting you here Victor. I think this is a good example of why hard and fast rules like 'family unity above all else' can be problematic. Sure, family unity is a worthy goal and can be of tremendous source of strength. But you also have to think about others who are affected by the actions of those who may bring harm. As Booko says, sometimes you have to love them from a distance, and that is the best thing for everyone involved.

Love does not mean you have to take someone else's problems onto yourself, or let them bring their problems into your life, even if they are family. In fact, it may not be the loving thing to let a family member escape the consequences of their actions, whether those consequences are that they are not allowed in your home, or that they are in trouble with the police, or whatever.

To me 'to love' in this situation is to remain free to think as clearly as possible about all the people involved, including yourself and your kids and make decisions that keep everyone safe. It's one of those many many parts of life that is not clear cut, not black and white. It is possible to love people while acknowledging and dealing with the reality that you can't be around them.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
[/color]

I think I'm finally getting you here Victor. I think this is a good example of why hard and fast rules like 'family unity above all else' can be problematic. Sure, family unity is a worthy goal and can be of tremendous source of strength. But you also have to think about others who are affected by the actions of those who may bring harm. As Booko says, sometimes you have to love them from a distance, and that is the best thing for everyone involved.

Love does not mean you have to take someone else's problems onto yourself, or let them bring their problems into your life, even if they are family. In fact, it may not be the loving thing to let a family member escape the consequences of their actions, whether those consequences are that they are not allowed in your home, or that they are in trouble with the police, or whatever.

To me 'to love' in this situation is to remain free to think as clearly as possible about all the people involved, including yourself and your kids and make decisions that keep everyone safe. It's one of those many many parts of life that is not clear cut, not black and white. It is possible to love people while acknowledging and dealing with the reality that you can't be around them.
My thoughts exactly...well said. This type of decision never comes easy and I doubt most of us have any fun doing it. Who truly enjoys disunity?

Thanks for the input.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In a way what is being described is a political problem.

Domestic politics has all the complications of international ones and many of the same solutions.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
dicenters are nessisary... you can never grow if you don't question the world around you.

If everyone believed in "unity at all costs" then we would never progress.

wa:do

athanasius

Is it better to be united then to be right? If so, why?

My answer: Truth is powerful. Without truth we are in a world of hurt and confusion. Unity on common causes and not killing each other over dissagreeemnts is good and should be done, but, mushying up theological truth for so-called false union in the church would be quite dangerous. Becauae without truth abd knowing and accepting the truth no one can be unified in reallity. Especially if people teach thousands of different things or truths. We must be unified under one truth. as Father Mitch Pacwa would say, "Truth is not a concept, it is a Person, Truth is Jesus Christ." Christ Catholic Church is the pillar and foundation of all truth(1 Tim 3:15). if one wants to be truly unified in Truth then one must come to Jesus and his church who is truth and be in union with them.