• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believers should not feel intimidated by so called experts on religion

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A religious person who hold a personal belief in any religion or spiritual teaching, has no reason to feel intimidated by a socalled expert on religion....there is not one answer fits all when it comes to spiritual practice.

An expert has an opinion, thats all.
Let them have their opinion, and the best part, just leave them alone :)
They try to tell you "you don't know your own personal belief" :D that is hilerious.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

I think debating is healthy. I use to argue against Islam for years against Shiachat.com. Over time, I came back to Islam.

If I kept the problems in my head, none of them would be solved.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And that's to say perhaps @KWED is being aggressive and I was too back then. But maybe he is looking for solutions to problems in his head like I was, but would make it as if I was sure Islam was wrong (and even thought I was sure for a while).

If this is the case, it's better not to keep it all bottled up.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
A religious person who whold a personal belief in any religion or spiritual teaching, has no reason to feel intimidated by a socalled expert on religion....there is not one answer fits all when it comes to spiritual practice.

They try to tell you "you don't know your own personal belief" :D that is hilerious.

We get a lot of criticism but I wonder how much Baha’i literature if any, those who do so have ever read? I possess all the Holy Books of all the religions and Sufi writings too and I accept the truth in them all because I have read them and they are all enlightening and teach truth.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
And that's to say perhaps @KWED is being aggressive and I was too back then. But maybe he is looking for solutions to problems in his head like I was, but would make it as if I was sure Islam was wrong (and even thought I was sure for a while).

If this is the case, it's better not to keep it all bottled up.

I agree. Sometimes the sincerest seeker is searching intensely and wants to make sure of the truth or falsehood of anything presented.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Salam

I think debating is healthy. I use to argue against Islam for years against Shiachat.com. Over time, I came back to Islam.

If I kept the problems in my head, none of them would be solved.
Discussion is never a problem:) it is the way it is done, that sometimes is very wrong. Especially when a non believer telling believers what they should or should not believe in a personal belief.

Nimos

A religious person who whold a personal belief in any religion or spiritual teaching, has no reason to feel intimidated by a socalled expert on religion....there is not one answer fits all when it comes to spiritual practice.

Didn't you mention that you had a teacher (expert) guiding you in how to understand Sufism? or when you say expert do you mean those that disagree with what you believe?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Didn't you mention that you had a teacher (expert) guiding you in how to understand Sufism? or when you say expert do you mean those that disagree with what you believe?
In "experts" i mean the socalled academic scholars. Simple as that.

PureX

Veteran Member
There are always going to be people that know more about any given subject than we do. And we would be fools to ignore their expertise.

However, in terms of what we choose to believe about the nature or existence of 'God', we each will have to decide that for ourselves. And that includes the decision to follow someone else's beliefs, or to ignore the question all together. It's what makes the question so interesting, and significant.

Last edited:

Nimos

In "experts" i mean the socalled scholars. Simple as that.
Not sure I understand what you mean.

So a person that is convinced that vaccines are pointless and doesn't work, shouldn't listen to the so called experts, that say that they do work? For someone to be considered an expert of something, doesn't they have to be able to demonstrate some sort of knowledge of a given topic? Like we could say that a physicist is an expert in the field of physics, because they can demonstrate to have some sort of knowledge in this field. But AstroTheMan88 on youtube sharing videos and views of physics, referring to himself as an expert, might not necessarily be an expert, if he haven't demonstrated that it is actually the case.

Which is why I asked the question in regards to experts, because how do you determine which are experts and which ain't, if you do not do it based on them demonstrating their knowledge?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

So a person that is convinced that vaccines are pointless and doesn't work, shouldn't listen to the so called experts, that say that they do work? For someone to be considered an expert of something, doesn't they have to be able to demonstrate some sort of knowledge of a given topic? Like we could say that a physicist is an expert in the field of physics, because they can demonstrate to have some sort of knowledge in this field. But AstroTheMan88 on youtube sharing videos and views of physics, referring to himself as an expert, might not necessarily be an expert, if he haven't demonstrated that it is actually the case.

Which is why I asked the question in regards to experts, because how do you determine which are experts and which ain't, if you do not do it based on them demonstrating their knowledge?
The only experts i speak of is the "religious scholars " and there is a few of the wannabe scholars in RF, who critique in every direction with no practice of any of the religions they critique.

They know every word, and every etymology of the words.
But nothing about the hidden teaching of the scriptures.

They critique blindly.

So believers should not fear or feel intimidated by them at all.
( before you ask.. No I am not intimidated by anyone in RF)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
The only experts i speak of is the "religious scholars " and there is a few of the wannabe scholars in RF, who critique in every direction with no practice of any of the religions they critique.

They critique blindly.

So why do you not ignore them? Seems like by your thread here, they bother you quite a bit.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

A lot of Quran is about this question. I've always argued it argues only Ahlulbayt (a) are true experts and to be relied on (we all will learn in degrees their knowledge, but never be an expert level they reached). Even if there is other experts, they are the only ones we have proof from God (swt) and his Messenger (s).

Nimos

They critique blindly.

Are you referring to personal beliefs? Like for instance if I were to tell you that God is this and that? or do you mean people referring to scriptures and using them as examples?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I largely agree with this. As a non-believer, my perspective is that all religious artifacts(?), e.g. scripture and rituals and so on, are man-made. A person can certainly become an expert in these artifacts, but the artifacts are distinct from what any individual believer believes.

I do think it's perilous for one human to claim to know "the word of god". That almost always goes badly.

Nimos

A lot of Quran is about this question. I've always argued it argues only Ahlulbayt (a) are true experts and to be relied on (we all will learn in degrees their knowledge, but never be an expert level they reached). Even if there is other experts, they are the only ones we have proof from God (swt) and his Messenger (s).
Sorry didn't understand any of that?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry didn't understand any of that?

I'm saying per Quran, the true experts are Mohamad, Ali, Fatima, Hassan, Hussain and 9 leaders that are the offspring of Hussain (peace be upon them all).

Other people are not to say "reverentially follow us", in fact believers been forbidden to say this per Quran.