• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being "transgender" is a form of gender stereotyping.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
e can examine the brain of someone who is transsexual and see that their brain structurally looks more like the brain of the sex they identify as rather than the sex they were born as
Homosexuals also often have feminized brain structure. It is highly unlikely that it is just a brain issue.

Except that medical science and psychiatry has already shown that the problem isn't the mental health of the transsexual and there's nothing that can be done to alleviate their sex dysphoria besides medical transition. You can't be "talked" out of it.
Not quite true. Early intervention has shown success in preventing the onset of Gender Dyhporia/GID.

I'm a psychologist myself, trust me I get it.
What area of psychology if you don't mind? I'm for my doctorate in clinical.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member

gsa

I don't think that just because something feels good for some people we can throw out the line between reality and not. We also can't make the leap from "well, their brain has some masculine traits" to "they are a man and a woman. People with mental disorders, such as the ones mentioned, also have brain differences from the statistical mean, but you don't want to treat their delusion as true. Yes, someone with multiple personality disorder may have a brain dysfunction that makes them as such, but we shouldn't just leave them to rot with the voices in their head. When we make the exception that one group can believe what they want because it feels good and act how they want because they have an excuse, everything falls apart. Personally I hate the angsty depresses side of me, and I'm glad those around me don't simply tell me " yup, you're right, nobody loves you".

Just think about it for a minute: There is a "treatment" mechanism. I do not think that it is really the same as a classical mental disorder that has to be managed with varying counseling and psychiatric techniques in the case of gender dysphoria, but you are basically suggesting that we stick our heads in the sand and ignore what would actually constitute a treatment because...our sense of gender identity is offended? That just seems silly. And cruel.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
So apparently I hold a "surprising" position in this, but I don't understand the recent transgender movements. In case one doesn't know, being transgender would essentially be like an individual who is physically/biologically a woman having "masculine" mental state and so considering themselves a male. See the problem? Transgender individuals buy right in and add to gender stereotyping by deciding they can't feel how they do as the sex they are. Women can have certain psychological mindsets because they're too masculine and vise versa.

Whether we are male or female is determined by physical and biological factors, which is the entire point of the definitions. Beyond that, gender equality says let people be who they are. Transgender movements, on the other hand, say men and women are only allowed to feel certain ways.

Thoughts?

Also, I understand transgender is kind of an umbrella term. I'm discussing men/women who are fully biologically / physically one sex and want go be another.

It's not about feelings, it's about gender identity and physical gender attributes that do not correspond with each other.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Therefore?
In other words, it's outdated.

What evidence do you have to suggest that the diagnoses of the chair of the APA's work group on Sexual and Gender Disorders for the DSM-V are incorrect?
That quote is from Kenneth Zucker, a psychologist at the Clarke Institute in Toronto (since renamed as Centre for Addiction and Mental Health). That organization is very well known in the trans community for having very regressive ideas about transsexualism. It's headed by Ray Blanchard, who is well-hated by the trans community for coming up with a ridiculous model of male to female transsexualism which basically says that transsexual women are either extreme feminine gay men or straight men with a sexual fetish for fantasizing about themselves being women. (His model completely ignores trans men, such as myself.)

Zucker is known to use forms of "reparative therapy" on kids with GID and pushes quack science. The "ex-gay" movement is a fan of his.

Kenneth Zucker on transsexualism
Ray Blanchard on transsexualism
Kenneth Zuckers's reparative therapy on gender-variant children vs modern gender-care methods
Outcry prompts CAMH to review its controversial treatment of trans youth | Metro

In other words, he's a quack and really has no business being bandied around as an authority on transsexualism. I'll take the word of actual scientists and their research over that of a nutty psychologist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Not quite true. Early intervention has shown success in preventing the onset of Gender Dyhporia/GID.
No, it doesn't. Any sort of reparative therapy has never been shown to be an effective treatment, unless, that is, by effective you mean causing further anguish, grief, and suffering.
Therefore?
It's extremely outdated. There have been many studies since then, many findings, and reparative therapy has been widely, largely, and mostly discarded and condemned as dangerous by just about every (if not all of them by now) major medical, social, psychological, and psychiatric organization.
What evidence do you have to suggest that the diagnoses of the chair of the APA's work group on Sexual and Gender Disorders for the DSM-V are incorrect?
When your article was published, we were not to the DSM V. We weren't even yet to IV. The basis of the articles claims are based on the DSM III, just before the release of IV, which means over 20 years of research has uncovered 20 years worth of new knowledge and understanding. And, of course, their is also the issue that V has been out for some time now any many are still transitioning from IV to V, so it is very unlikely anything of that article was based on IV.
Homosexuals also often have feminized brain structure. It is highly unlikely that it is just a brain issue.
The current understanding of gender dysphoria shows that it is very likely to originate from the brain. Yes, homosexuals have been observed to have some brain structures that are similar to that of the opposite sex, but the brain of the transsexual has been observed to be more than just some structures, but something that is seen throughout the brain.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In other words, it's outdated.
Outdated in the sense that anyone has shown his work to be in error practically?

That quote is from Kenneth Zucker, a psychologist at the Clarke Institute in Toronto (since renamed as Centre for Addiction and Mental Health). That organization is very well known in the trans community for having very regressive ideas about transsexualism.
If only he'd goodthink he'd be doubleplusgood. You've addressed who his boss apparently is(not really relevant to whether he is successful), who his fans are(not at all relevant in any way), and that transexuals and transexual advocates don't like that he works to prevent the dire distress of gender dysphoria instead of assuaging it after it shows up.

In other words, he's a quack and really has no business being bandied around as an authority on transsexualism.
Except for chairing the workgroup on transexualism for the APA when they re-wrote the DSM.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Outdated in the sense that anyone has shown his work to be in error practically?
Outdated in the since that the DSM III is no longer valid, and outdated in the sense that the APA has redefined gender dysphoria twice since then. Actually, it wasn't even called gender dysphoria until V. The DSM V makes no mention of this "early intervention to prevent the onset of gender dysphoria." Rather it outlines treatment that revolves around a physical transition.
It's also outdated because today, unlike 20 years ago, the APA has condemned reparative therapy.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
"Reparative therapy" has been denounced as worthless and harmful for years now.

If only he'd goodthink he'd be doubleplusgood. You've addressed who his boss apparently is(not really relevant to whether he is successful), who his fans are(not at all relevant in any way), and that transexuals and transexual advocates don't like that he works to prevent the dire distress of gender dysphoria instead of assuaging it after it shows up.
I was providing background. Zucker attempts to shame male children with GID into not being feminine. It's based on the same faulty "research" that "reparative therapy" for gays is based on, that is, it's based on the idea that if a young male isn't raised in an environment where his masculinity is praised and given a feeling of being wanted, he's "at risk" of being gay or turning out to be trans. It's a bunch of nonsense. (Nonsense that, once again, ignores female to male transsexuals since we apparently don't exist.) Did you even bother to look at the links I posted?

Except for chairing the workgroup on transexualism for the APA when they re-wrote the DSM.
And plenty of people weren't too happy about that. It doesn't mean he's not a quack.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it doesn't.
You'll have data, correct, to back up the assertion. I'm not talking about homosexual conversion therapy, or adult gender dysphoria conversion. Data that specifically say child gender dysphoria therapy doesn't work and causes harm. Because... you know, I just ran through PsychNet and Ebsco and didn't find that.

When your article was published, we were not to the DSM V.
Of course not. What I said was that Zucker, the Dr. in the article was chosen to be the chair of the workgroup on Sexual and Gender disorders for the DSM-V. There needs to be credible reason to believe that a respected clinician specializing in child gender dysphoria is incorrect in his diagnoses.

The current understanding of gender dysphoria shows that it is very likely to originate from the brain.
I'll quote the head the Gender Identity Development Service in the UK: "the causation of the phenomenon of GID remains unclear and it is probably multifactorial" in Gender Dysphoria and Disorders of Sex Development. Furthermore the DSM-V states that: "Overall, current evidence is insufficient to label gender dysphoria without a disorder of sex development as a form of intersexuality limited to the central nervous system."

The DSM V... outlines treatment that revolves around a physical transition.
No, it doesn't. The DSM is a diagnostic manual, not a treatment guide.

It's also outdated because today, unlike 20 years ago, the APA has condemned reparative therapy.
Show where the APA has condemned Dr. Zucker's therapy, please so I can consider it. I don't imagine that they'd have on a condemned therapist as the chair for alterations in the area he is being condemned in, but if so I'd like to know.

Zucker attempts to shame male children with GID into not being feminine
Then, you've seen him in therapy? You've read his article detailing his practices? I haven't done either.

And plenty of people weren't too happy about that. It doesn't mean he's not a quack.
Being respected by his scientific peers is heavy evidence against him being a "quack".

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just a tip, but "transgenders" and "intersexuals" aren't the correct way to describe a person. It's transgender person or intersex person.
Of course not.
But in the plural............ all over the internet. :-
Searches related to transgenders
transgenders in the workplace
transgenders in islam
transgenders meaning
transgenders in sports
transgenders film
transgenders in history
transgenders before and after
Searches related to intersexuals
management of the intersexuals
definition of intersexuals
Don't tell me............. tell them.....?

Plus, I don't really see it as a matter of being brave or confident. It's a horrible situation to be in and I wish I didn't have transsexualism. I hate having to mention it (or feeling like I have to mention it) and wish I could just be a normal male. It would be nice to never have to mention it or having it be an issue.
It might be a horrible situation for you........... but for those who say 'This is me. This is who I am. This is my life.' And then go out there and live it......... yes, I call that bravery and confidence.

You wrotre :-
......wish I could be a normal male'
Normal?
NORMAL?
What exactly is 'normal'?
If I heard a person call anybody ABNORMAL because of their sexuality I would challenge them immediately.
And if you were a 'normal male', how would you treat Transgenders, Intersexuals and Transexuals?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Except that medical science and psychiatry has already shown that the problem isn't the mental health of the transsexual and there's nothing that can be done to alleviate their sex dysphoria besides medical transition. You can't be "talked" out of it. Just like you can't "pray the gay away".

You can't talk away depression or pain either, so we should just encourage them? Lol.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

What area of psychology if you don't mind? I'm for my doctorate in clinical.

I'm hoping to get a doctorate in clinical as well.