• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being "transgender" is a form of gender stereotyping.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The one who's worked with transgender individuals and has the background in psychology? Thanks for reading the actual thread... :facepalm:
So very much of what you have said on this thread makes it very difficult to believe you have worked with transgender individuals. Your terminology differs, your comparisons are not at all what clinicians would say, and you have shown a lack of knowledge of the WPATH Standards of Care, even though it's one of the most basic and frequently used guides in the treatment of transsexuals, transgenders, and gender non-conforming people. Even assuming all transsexuals adhere to and reinforce gender stereotypes makes me doubt you have worked with trans-individuals.

dust1n

Zindīq

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
They both seem to indicate no treatment > open placebo > non-disclosed placebo > actual treatment.

Still fascinating study. Is it to safe assume that everyone actually knew what a placebo was?

I believe it was explained. But of course actual treatment is going to be better. The point of placebos is treatment of subjectivity and added strength to other meds and practices.

dust1n

Zindīq
I believe it was explained. But of course actual treatment is going to be better. The point of placebos is treatment of subjectivity and added strength to other meds and practices.

I guess when they prove to be useful for gender dysmorphia, the conversation would be different. For some reason, I doubt they are.

Kapalika

Premium Member
So apparently I hold a "surprising" position in this, but I don't understand the recent transgender movements. In case one doesn't know, being transgender would essentially be like an individual who is physically/biologically a woman having "masculine" mental state and so considering themselves a male. See the problem? Transgender individuals buy right in and add to gender stereotyping by deciding they can't feel how they do as the sex they are. Women can have certain psychological mindsets because they're too masculine and vise versa.

Whether we are male or female is determined by physical and biological factors, which is the entire point of the definitions. Beyond that, gender equality says let people be who they are. Transgender movements, on the other hand, say men and women are only allowed to feel certain ways.

Thoughts?

Also, I understand transgender is kind of an umbrella term. I'm discussing men/women who are fully biologically / physically one sex and want go be another.

I cannot begin to even explain how ill-informed this post is. First of all... not all transgender people are going to abide by some kind of strict binary of stereotypes. For some it can just be that they feel for whatever reason they should of been the other sex, and are not happy with themselves in their body. For some their gender may define everything about them but I know plenty on which it's seen as an important part in so far as its not in sync with how they feel, but otherwise is just another part like any other part. It's less about expectation/stereotypes and more about how they feel about themselves and what their mind thinks they sh ould be.

There is a large biological component to being transgender, it isnt just psychological. It's experienced across all cultures in one form or another.

Premium Member
Almost every disorder is part physical, and this thread is over.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Almost every disorder is part physical, and this thread is over.
Why is it over because people can post scientific studies as well as personal anecdotes that contradict your position - a position that shows a lack of understanding of how psychology approaches the subject? Gender dysphoria, transition, and changing social roles is not, at all, a black-and-white, one-or-the-other, all-or-nothing type of thing. Just like cis-women, we trans-women have widely varying traits and characteristics that are considered typically feminine and typically masculine. Just as cis-men and trans-men have widely varying traits and characteristics that are considered typically masculine and typically feminine.

Premium Member
Why is it over because people can post scientific studies as well as personal anecdotes that contradict your position - a position that shows a lack of understanding of how psychology approaches the subject? Gender dysphoria, transition, and changing social roles is not, at all, a black-and-white, one-or-the-other, all-or-nothing type of thing. Just like cis-women, we trans-women have widely varying traits and characteristics that are considered typically feminine and typically masculine. Just as cis-men and trans-men have widely varying traits and characteristics that are considered typically masculine and typically feminine.

Actually it's over because you turned it from transgender and gender stereotypes to be about transition, ignored or didn't comprehend a single thing I said, and forced the creation of another thread where this is discussed just to get around all your many straw men and reading problems.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually it's over because you turned it from transgender and gender stereotypes to be about transition, ignored or didn't comprehend a single thing I said, and forced the creation of another thread where this is discussed just to get around all your many straw men and reading problems.
You accuse me of these things, yet you are the one who compared gender dysphoria to schizophrenia and affirming someone is a space alien. That itself is a very strong example of a straw man. Also insisting transsexuals enforce gender stereotypes is another straw man, because transsexuals, like regular people, display a broad range of gender behaviors and characteristics.

Last edited: