• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being religious is cheating

confused453

From time to time I like to use cheat codes or trainers to advance game levels without the hardship of actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

It seems to me that following a religion along with all the sacred books, believing and praying, is like using cheat codes towards getting into a favorable afterlife. Do you, believers, really think it's that easy?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
From time to time I like to use cheat codes or trainers to advance game levels without the hardship of actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

It seems to me that following a religion along with all the sacred books, believing and praying, is like using cheat codes towards getting into a favorable afterlife. Do you, believers, really think it's that easy?

There are a lot of ways to answer this, but let's start with the basics;
Religions don't share a single common view on the afterlife.
Nor do they solely consist of theists.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Wrong. Sacrifice means death, not birth.
Not necessarily. Sacrifice is to give up something. Giving your life up is a sacrifice, but it's not the only kind of sacrifice. Imagine, innumerable atoms smashing head on to create more complex ones. This is sacrifice.

confused453

Not necessarily. Sacrifice is to give up something. Giving your life up is a sacrifice, but it's not the only kind of sacrifice. Imagine, innumerable atoms smashing head on to create more complex ones. This is sacrifice.
I thought it means to kill for the greater good.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If we didn't have rules and codes to tell us what God wants, how else would we know?

Rapha

Dreams and ink bowl visions will show you your future, so yes, once a dream/vision switches to reality, its easy to find the narrow path back to Heaven.

And its all for free once a mortal has faith in Jesus Christ.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Couldn't tell you, because none of what you describe here is applicable to my religion and I don't consider myself a "believer." Maybe for a slice of religions the question you ask is applicable, but it isn't to an awful lot of us.

And no, religion done right isn't easy, just like everything else in life.

Civil Shephard

Does Job serve God for nothing?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. Not anymore than my going to the bookstore's selfhelp aile to learn about managing stress (sacred text) or going to gym once or twice a week to boost my mental and physical health (religious rituals). No more than saying "hummshaa" while sweezing stress balls (prayer), and going about my day refreshed and hungry for healthy food.

Religion isnt any different. If anything, I find it strange someone people dont consider their religion as food. You can use a cookbook or make the dish yourself. Its not cheating its just (in christian view) admitting you need help.

interminable

منتظر
Beginning of being a beliver is a commencement of hardships

This is just for ordinary belivers
For those who wanna be gnostic the situation is so tough that is unbelievable.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

How much of science, chemistry, physics, etc. would we ever know if we had to figure it all out by ourselves from scratch? We can be aided by standing on the shoulders of giants (advanced souls in the case of religion).

A Vestigial Mote

I just want to be able to "save" and "restore" life at certain points so that can try out different things and if they don't work out, I can try something else. If you figure that one out, let me know.