• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It is true, it is crappy beer!

I suppose beers have a longer heritage and hence range in Europe (particularly northern, the south is more wine), but the UK has been reinvigorated in the last decade by the experimentalism of the American craft beers. (American style IPA is particularly popular.)

I figured it would be crap over there. Here, it's sold as a premium import at like $8.99 or $9.99 for a six-pack. I like it though, it smells... dank, which is a welcome smell to me :D

What about the claim that the Guinness over here is not the same as the Guinness over there? and, is Guinness really good for you?

(not actually serious about the last one ;))

Now, speaking of crappy, cheap beer, I had some Yuengling last night, its cheap, but not crappy. Comparing my during and after experience last night to the same experiences on previous nights with beers like PBR :eek: and Miller High Life, Yuengling was a better experience. There is a distinct feeling of crappiness that accompanies and follows the consumption of crappy beer. Yuengling left me feeling fine. The most cheap beers give me a hang over (sorta).

Moral of the story:

Crappy beer makes you crappy. Dont be Crappy! Drink Good Beer!

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yesterday I had a budweiser.

If it is true that beer tastes better the ******** it was your day I must have had the worst friday 13th ever.

I survived and hada beer though, so all good

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think home brew is much better for you than commercial beer ?.

Yeah, homebrew and quality craft beers are better than the mass produced commercial beer that uses other chemicals in the process of making the beer and all that stuff. Cheap mass produced beers tend to have lower quality ingredients, I think.

-

So, last night I had that good beer for my birthday at a local pizza and beer joint. The beer was Founders Curmudgeon. 9.8% alcohol, has sweet, distinct taste with chocolatey notes (it's brewed with molasses). At first, it was like "huh, that's kinda weird, but very interesting", then with each consecutive sip, "yeah, that's pretty good, very interesting". As a plus, the taste was accompanied by a nice buzz :D

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
You Europeans have more good beer than us Americans :p

That reminds me, I have been told that Heineken is basically the Pabst Blue Ribbon of Europe (basically, the cheap, crappy beer). Is there any truth to this statement?
I have an American friend who tells me there are a lot of excellent microbreweries over there who brew a huge variety of really good beers. But you don't export any of those, oh no.. what we get from that side of the Atlantic are just hideous :(

..a bit like Heineken ;) (which is a bit nicer than Bud, Miller etc. but not much)

My personal favourite beer is Fuller's ESB. Rich, fruity and strong (but not too strong).

What about the claim that the Guinness over here is not the same as the Guinness over there? and, is Guinness really good for you?

(not actually serious about the last one ;))
Guinness over there is not the same thing at all: until quite recently they brewed Guinness in London, and that was crap compared to the Irish stuff made with Liffey water.. now we get that imported, and it's a lot more dependent on how it's kept & served. It's still not as good in England, because we don't have the patience, most bars chill it too much so it pours & settles more quickly; ISTM that a lot of bars in Ireland are judged on how well they keep their Guinness, and the result is something that's a class apart.

Go to Ireland, sample the stuff there and you'll see why it's the national drink. Gorgeous stuff.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I have an American friend who tells me there are a lot of excellent microbreweries over there who brew a huge variety of really good beers. But you don't export any of those, oh no.. what we get from that side of the Atlantic are just hideous :(

..a bit like Heineken ;) (which is a bit nicer than Bud, Miller etc. but not much)

My personal favourite beer is Fuller's ESB. Rich, fruity and strong (but not too strong).

Guinness over there is not the same thing at all: until quite recently they brewed Guinness in London, and that was crap compared to the Irish stuff made with Liffey water.. now we get that imported, and it's a lot more dependent on how it's kept & served. It's still not as good in England, because we don't have the patience, most bars chill it too much so it pours & settles more quickly; ISTM that a lot of bars in Ireland are judged on how well they keep their Guinness, and the result is something that's a class apart.

Go to Ireland, sample the stuff there and you'll see why it's the national drink. Gorgeous stuff.

Yes, we do have lots of great craft beers coming out. It's a relatively new thing, so there are few craft beers that are available on a national scale; its mostly regional. So yeah, you would only get the mass produced stuff which is like 90% **** beer. I imagine that the mainstream beers in Europe are better than the mainstream beers in the US.

Some day I will have a Guinness in Ireland :D I have had the Guinness in the US, it was good, also the Guiness "black lager" which is great. The Guinness "Extra Stout" is absolutely terrible, just a flat bitter taste with no layers or anything; I gave it a try again later on in life once I had develouped a palate for beer and all that did was make me more able to tell how terrible it was. Now, while traveling in Asia, I had Guinness "Foreign Extra Stout", which is apparently a different beer because it was excellent.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Some day I will have a Guinness in Ireland :D I have had the Guinness in the US, it was good, also the Guiness "black lager" which is great. The Guinness "Extra Stout" is absolutely terrible, just a flat bitter taste with no layers or anything; I gave it a try again later on in life once I had develouped a palate for beer and all that did was make me more able to tell how terrible it was. Now, while traveling in Asia, I had Guinness "Foreign Extra Stout", which is apparently a different beer because it was excellent.
Agreed: the "Extra Stout" bottled beer is awful, hard to believe it's sold under the same name; not tried the "black lager", though there is a "Guinness Red" beer you can buy which is passable but not brilliant.

Couldn't begin to list all the nice beers you can find over here: one thing to look forward to in the Autumn is a seasonal Hobgoblin beer called "The Dog's Bollocks" - one of those that the first time you ask for it, it's because of the name.. thereafter, any time you find a pub selling it, you'll go in and have a pint, just because :)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Agreed: the "Extra Stout" bottled beer is awful, hard to believe it's sold under the same name; not tried the "black lager", though there is a "Guinness Red" beer you can buy which is passable but not brilliant.

Couldn't begin to list all the nice beers you can find over here: one thing to look forward to in the Autumn is a seasonal Hobgoblin beer called "The Dog's Bollocks" - one of those that the first time you ask for it, it's because of the name.. thereafter, any time you find a pub selling it, you'll go in and have a pint, just because :)

I have seen 30 oz bottles of Hobgoblin in good grocery stores around here, i've been wanting to give it a try soon.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
I have seen 30 oz bottles of Hobgoblin in good grocery stores around here, i've been wanting to give it a try soon.
:)

Let me know what you think of it: Hobgoblin as a brewer makes some damn fine ales, their main one (also called Hobgoblin) is one of the better bottled beers, though not quite as good as it is on draught (most of my favourite draught beers are pale imitations once bottled, Hob & Fuller's ESB being two of the biggest exceptions - other ones to try if you happen to see over there in bottles are Theakston's XB and Old Peculier, both dark, not very fizzy ales).

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
:)

Let me know what you think of it: Hobgoblin as a brewer makes some damn fine ales, their main one (also called Hobgoblin) is one of the better bottled beers, though not quite as good as it is on draught (most of my favourite draught beers are pale imitations once bottled, Hob & Fuller's ESB being two of the biggest exceptions - other ones to try if you happen to see over there in bottles are Theakston's XB and Old Peculier, both dark, not very fizzy ales).

Im not sure which hobgoblin i've seen but im going to make a point to try it soon.

Yeah, i'd say most beers are better on tap than out of a bottle, and better out of a bottle than from a can.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Rogue Brewery's Dead Guy Ale is pretty tasty as far as things I've found at the supermarket.

When I lived in Washington State however, I enjoyed an amazing apricot wheat beer made by Mack and Jack's. Probably my favorite beer of all time. I think its only available in that region, though and only by the keg.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I used to drink beer quiet a lot, but less so recently.

I like it, but always have to leave the last inch or so in the glass.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I will have the occasional glass of beer, but for me, there's nothing quite like an ice-cold shandy on a hot day...yes, I am a heathen who mixes lemonade with it. lol

Beer is quite healthy and therapeutic taken in moderation.

I'll have about 2-3 glasses of beer a week, but I won't allow myself to get drunk on it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I now believe in god.

My favourite beers come from Mallinsons, a brewery far far away so I usually only got them in bottles (albeit bottle-conditioned). Now a local pub has been refurbished by a new owner and one of his regular cask ales is always from Mallinsons.

Praise the lord.