• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be Careful Using Self-Checkout At Stores

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Check-out staff don't clean & organize the store.
In the one store I frequent that has self-checkout,
it's quite clean & organized.
A store's goal shouldn't be to hire many employees.
It should be to serve its customers. And self-checkout
serves that goal in my experience.

Are you a Luddite, by any chance?
You infer strange things from my posts.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Interesting. I avoided self checkout for a long time because I saw them as a way to cut down on staff, and it seems that was the motivation. A recent news item described how that hasn't worked. Apparently, with the staff needed to oversee the checkouts and help people that are having problems, added to a (genuine) increase in theft, they haven't proved to be any less costly than the old system.
I think self checkouts are great. They are far better suited to the way couples and singles shop in cities . You can just pop in, grab half a dozen items for the next day or two and you are out again in minutes, instead of the old model of queuing up with a vast trolley full of stuff, intended to feed a family for a week. Far more flexible and better for the lifestyle of people who have don’t have a predictable routine. But I’ve learned to avoid Sunday evenings: it’s a zoo.

So I think it’s now become about customers’ expectation of convenience, rather than necessarily cost saving. But with the current cost of living crisis in the UK, they are getting more theft. In some districts they have even resorted to putting security tags on the cheese! We are a poor country now.

Little Dragon

However, universal rule is the security guard has to see the theft. It's a automatic lawsuit, likely to be successful, if they didn't see the theft happen.
The same applies in English and Welsh law. (The law of the UK except Scotland) The act has to be observed, by either eyeballs or cameras, it cannot be an assumption, as it would, on the basis of an automated transaction.